Cheapest Place to Buy Front Window seal with locking strip - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #41

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
I ended up getting a new window cut for the back window. It is the same size as the old one but with using a smaller seal (same seal as your pics with tape measure) I notice that there is room for the seal to slide up and down between window and fiberglass. The rubber between the 2 grooves is a different thickness than the original.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #42

Manitoba
When I get home tonite I will post pics of same seal you have, my original seal, and the seal I lucked out finding this morning.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #43

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
Brian, did that seal you bought from speedy not work? you say you bought a new seal today?
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #44

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotsniff View Post
Brian, did that seal you bought from speedy not work? you say you bought a new seal today?
Yea. The seal I bought from Speedy is a little smaller than what was on there. I also replaced the window and had them cut it the same size as the old one. Because the seal is a little smaller, I should have had the window cut just a little bigger so everything would be snug. I ended up buying a whole 75' box for 135.00 so I'll replace one of the windows again with the bigger seal and see how that works out. I think it works out to just under 11' of seal for each window on my boler.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #45

Manitoba
The 75 feet I bought is of the bigger seal that I picked up today.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #46

Manitoba
These are some pics of the seals
The first pic shows the top seal which is the original that I just replaced, 1 1/8". The bottom seal which is identical to Scamps, only 1".
The second pic is the size comparison between the old and Scamps.
The third pic is the seal I found today (left) with the original (right).
The fourth pic is Scamps on left and what I picked up today on right.
When I say Scamps, I just mean the seal that is the same size as the seal from the beginning of this thread.
It may be hard to tell but the channels for glass and body from scamp aren't as deep as the the original but the channels are the same width on all of them.
The fiberglass channel on the original and todays find are 1/2" and window channel is 3/8". On the smaller seal the fiberglass channel is 3/8" and window is only 2/8 ".
I guess what I should have done from the beginning is trace out the actual cut out for the window, measured the distance between the channels and had the window cut accordingly. The distance between the channels is only off by 1/16" but as I said earlier, there seems to be some play in the seal I put on over the weekend. I can slide it back and forth between the body and the window.
Attached Thumbnails
004.JPG   005.JPG  

006.jpg   007.jpg  

Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #47

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboler View Post
The 75 feet I bought is of the bigger seal that I picked up today.
From where? Looking for new seals myself.
BrendaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #48

Manitoba
I lucked out at a wholesale place called Vanfax here in Winnipeg. Normally they only sell to registered businesses but that specific seal was a screw up and had been sitting in their warehouse for I think a year or 2. Plus I think I caught them on a good day. The part number is 6201440 (self locking rubber seal). You could try an autobody place or somewhere that does vehicle windows. I'm not sure where you are but here for example we have Speedy auto glass. A place like that might be able to order a box in for you if they don't carry it but you would most likely have to buy the whole box.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #49

Registry
I'm in Victoria so I will check out some auto glass places. Is that the part number from Speedy? You did say up there somewhere that the one from Speedy wasn't quite right and I already have the plexi cut to the same size of the old windows.
I'm ok ordering a whole box if I have to. There are a few Bolers around so someone might want to buy some.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #50

Manitoba
That part number is for the seal. It shouldnt matter where you buy it. As long as you give them that part number they should be able to find that exact seal. The seal from Speedy that I bought originally was a little smaller and I didnt like how it fit. From reading other posts and getting measurements I determined that Speedys and the seal from Scamp were the same size, thats why I bought it. When I took it home and sized it up to the original, I found it to be smaller. When I went to Vanfax I took a sample of the original and the seal from Speedy to show the difference. They looked thru their catalogue, talked to a guy in the warehouse and found the size I was looking for. It was just luck that they had it. So the part number I gave was on the invoice and on the box.
Hopfully that helps.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #51

Manitoba
I should probably add that a few people have said they have used the smaller size and It worked for them. Not sure off hand what that part # is. Also the seal I used has the locking strip already attached so you dont have to buy the seal and then spend more on the actual locking strip.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #52

Registry
Thanks! I have a line on a company that can order it in for me so I will give them that part number as well as the measurements to make sure. They have 9 different sizes and I'm hoping if one doesn't fit, I can exchange it for one that does.
I don't know if you've tried to install a window with the separate lock strip but, how was using the attached version?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #53

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You could take one window out ( you have to do it anyways) and bring the old strip in with you. bolers were made in a number of places over the years. Parts may vary.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #54

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaD View Post
Thanks! I have a line on a company that can order it in for me so I will give them that part number as well as the measurements to make sure. They have 9 different sizes and I'm hoping if one doesn't fit, I can exchange it for one that does.
I don't know if you've tried to install a window with the separate lock strip but, how was using the attached version?
I've done both and both can be a little frustrating. I think I would prefer the seal with lockstrip attached. Not that its any easier but it looks a little neater. Instead of seeing a wide piece of rubber locking the seal in place all you see is a very thin line where the lockstrip hooks under the seal. Not sure if I have a pic but I'll look thru my photos. The right tools also help with the installation.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #55

Manitoba
The part # from the first (smaller) seal I picked up at Speedy is 6200140 and that seems to be the most popular size that they would already have in stock if they carry any at all. Hope this helps. On another thread there is a video from Kevin ?. He does a step by step on how to install the seal but the seal he uses has the separate lockstrip. Not sure where on here it is but if you google installing windows on bolers it should take you to a youtube link.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #56

Manitoba
Hey Joel, any luck with the seal on your end?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #57

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
Brian, if feel like selling off your remaining stock, I would be interested in 25' and I'm sure someone else would be as well. Understand if you want to keep it now that you've found the right size.

Roy, I think you're right, best to remove one Window to see what you actually have.

Kevin
Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #58

Manitoba
Hi Kevin. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I have no problems selling the rest of my seal. I was actually planning on taking it with me to the Manitoba rally in August in case anyone there wanted to buy the left overs. I figured that would be alot easier than trying to ship it out to someone and having to worry about shipping costs. I've never had to send anything bigger than a letter before but I'm guessing Canada Post would have all the info about that.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #59

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaD View Post
Hi Brenda. Did the replacement seal work out for you? Where did you order from?