Cheapest Place to Buy Front Window seal with locking strip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Sarnia, Ontario
Cheapest Place to Buy Front Window seal with locking strip

hi,

Looking to buy a new front window seal and locking strip for our 81 boler, I've been to the scamp website and they sell the seal for $2 and the lock strip for .40 cents.

wondering if anyone has got this stuff for cheaper anywhere else? also, do you know the dimensions needed if ordering from other places? I've seen it around on other websites and there are so many different sizes, to get. some are different sizes options some are equal size on the body side of the seal vs the window side and I've seen some that are different sizes on either side. so not sure if 1/4" is about what is needed?

if someone knows of a place that sells for less i'd appreciate help, going to place an order tomorrow from scamp for a pair of door hinges and some other small odds and ends. need this window seal and I've heard scamp gets a little crazy with shipping so if I can get everything I need from them once i'll do that just not sure if they are the best/cheapest place to get this seal.

Joel
idiotsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The plexiglass on the two Scamps I delt with was 3/16" or .177. Most glass shops stock the 1/4'' seal. If you order the seal it usually comes in 100' lengths and with two windows you only need approx 25'. I bought the seal with the lock strip built in so I didn't need the lock strip tool.
When installing the seal on the trailer I start at the bottom center and seat the seal on the body with a rubber mallet. When you get back to the starting point I cut the seal about an inch long and usually I can get it seated.
If you buy the Scamp seal you will also need a trim-loc tool. I think Donna has a source for the tool. If you only had one trailer to do I think I would just order from it Scamp since it is about price the same as a 100ft roll.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #3

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
The seal on both front & rear windows of my '84 Scamp 13 had deteriorated to the point of nothing but cracks. I've done a few P/U truck rear windows with seal & locking strip but wasn't confident in my ability to do it on the fiberglass Scamp without damaging something. I took it by my local 'glass' shop & he couldn't determine for sure (without taking one out) the correct dimensions for the rubber seal. I knew I could get it from Scamp for around $65-70 shipped (for both windows - 25') & my glass guy said it'd cost more'n that if he had to supply it. He agreed to remove the old seal & install the new using my windows, for 1hr labor charge. I ordered the stuff from Scamp (knowing it should be correct size) & then took it to the 'glass shop'. They charged me labor for one hour-$75 (job took about 35-40min) & did an excellent job. For the bother & aggravation I wouldn't have touched it for that amount. The rubber seal I got from Scamp is approx 1" total width, the 'glass' channel is approx 1/4" (maybe 3/16'?) width & the fiberglass channel approx 1/8" (maybe 3/32").

Before & after pix
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of IMG_3225.JPG   Copy of IMG_3226.JPG  

Copy (2) of IMG_3250.JPG   Copy (2) of IMG_3258.JPG  

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #4

Sarnia, Ontario
eddie, you say that most shops have the 1/4 seal, but is that what is needed to do the job? or do I need something else. I really don't want to buy it from scamp if i can get 4x the amount for the same price. I could hang on to it or sell it to someone else to recoup some of the money or even give it away. Just want to know exactly what is needed.

can you tell me where you bought your stuff with the lock strip built in? that would be better then having to buy a tool also.

appreciate your time,

Joel
Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #5

Sarnia, Ontario
thanks for the post harvey, the new seal loos great. makes a big difference, was your seal leaking at all? mine isnt leaking but the PO put silicone over the whole thing and looks terrible. question: is that lock strip not supposed to be inside? I could be wrong, but I thought my locking strip was on the inside of trailer, my trailer is original with nothing replaced or modified, its a boler tho, you've got a scamp and maybe they do it different.

thanks

Joel
Old 03-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #6

Arkansas
My seals weren't leaking but the 'rubber' had deteriorated so badly that if you just touched it you had a black. grimy coating on your hand, & every time it rained it left ugly black streaks down the white surface.

I've never seen a locking strip that wasn't on the outside. Apparently there must be some but as you can see in the 'before' pix mine was on the outside. Just checked my old '85 Ford Diesel P/U & my son's mid-70's Chevy & they both have the locking strip outside...
Old 03-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
.........I've never seen a locking strip that wasn't on the outside. .............
On UHauls, the locking strip is inside. In fact the locking strip had a handle to pull that makes the window the emergency escape.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #8

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
On UHauls, the locking strip is inside. In fact the locking strip had a handle to pull that makes the window the emergency escape.
Thank you. Never seen a UHaul. I'm curious how that emergency escape window would work. Not sure how removing the locking strip (spline) would release the window? Maybe just push the entire window/seal out the opening?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #9

Sarnia, Ontario
I could be wrong, but was sure mine was on the inside. i'll have to check sometime,

the uhual safety thing is a little piece of sewn fabric or something that is wrapped around the spline, then in an emergency you pull the fabric/handle thing, it allows the spline to be pulled out then you knock the window out the opening and out you jump.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Thank you. Never seen a UHaul. I'm curious how that emergency escape window would work. Not sure how removing the locking strip (spline) would release the window? Maybe just push the entire window/seal out the opening?
Yes, once the locking strip is removed, the whole window pushes out easily.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
The only place I can find online in Canada is Trimlok.ca, they have a one-piece locking gasket but it's for 1/4" glass, not sure if it's ok with 3/16" plexi? I don't think it would be much cheaper than ordering from Scamp. I emailed Scamp a couple years ago and they would ship most things USPS as long as it wasn't too big. This would avoid the high customs brokerage fees charged by UPS.

I remember people mentioning that you should be able to get gaskets from auto window installation shops, I couldn't find anything available online and I haven't made any calls to them. I'll probably just order them from Scamp if I don't find anything easily available locally.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #12

Arkansas
Scamp shipped the 24' gasket & locking spline to me from Backus, MN to central Arkansas in a 13"x13"x6"H cardboard box. Think the shipping was $16.

Oh yeah, I just discovered those 'high brokerage fees' recently on a shipment of parts from Canada to Arkansas.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Harvey
How wide are the two grooves on each side of the gasket? Measure at the bottom of the groove.
Thanks
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #14

Arkansas
Eddie, the glass groove is between 3/16" & 1/4" wide while fiberglass groove is between 3/32" & 1/8" wide. The entire gasket is about 1" wide when installed...
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of IMG_3827.JPG   Copy of IMG_3828.JPG  

Copy of IMG_3825.JPG  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
When I replaced the seals on the front and rear window on my Scamp the local glass shop loaned me their tool which turned out to be to large.
I ended up using a flat blade screw driver to press the lock strip in and bottle of Armour All to lubricate the lock strip.
It was cheaper than buying a tool and not very difficult.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #16

Arkansas
Yeah John, I've replaced several P/U rear windows using 1/4" clothesline rope & lotsa soap, & a screwdriver for the locking strip. I wuz a lot younger then & didn't have an arthritic shoulder or hands. After examining the windows on the Scamp I 'bit the bullet' & used a goodly portion of my available discretionary fund to pay the local glass shop to remove the old gasket/window & replace with the new stuff from Scamp. That's another reason this 're-build' is takin' so long, lack of $$ . Some of the stuff I need to do requires buying materials before it gets done so I kinda hafta look for inexpensive stuff that ain't 'cheap' if ya know what I mean
Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Hey everyone. It looks like I'm going to have to replace my seals too this year because of some leakage. Did anyone determine if the seals from Scamp were ok to use on a boler. I have a 75 13'.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #18

Manitoba
Does anyone have any pics of the seal with the lockstrip built in? Does it install basically the same way?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #19

Manitoba
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I found a place here in Winnipeg that sells the exact seal for the front and back boler windows. Speed Auto Glass on St. James st. They gave me a sample to take home and measure up with my existing seal but it looks pretty good so far. It is the seal with the locking strip attached and I was quoted $1.75 a foot which is cheaper than Scamp. I'm heading out to the cabin this weekend to make sure it fits and measure the length I'm gonna need for both windows. Things are looking up.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 1980 Burro
JCWhitney has several types in 15ft lengths for less.
Fairchild Industries WINDOW WEATHERSTRIPS FOR ALL VEHICLES - JCWhitney
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote