Checking a Old Scamp Frame for cracks - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #29

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=Laughingindian;566108You can do whatever you want with your Scamp. I gave my opinion and stick by it. I feel that after this I am pretty good judge of how to Safely jack MY Scamp up!
[/QUOTE]

LOL no need to get in a snit.

I was simple giving the Op the opinion of the manufacture of the trailer by quoting directly from Scamp's Owner's manual as to what they believe are the best practises for jacking up the Scamps they build.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:36 PM   #30

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
I'd like to thank everyone who submitted a comment: David, Danny, Donna D., Jon, Paul, Rez, Dana, Carol H, and anyone who's name I missed!

While I certainly didn't mean to start a sprited discussion about the subject, I do believe I did learn something from all the messages.

I wanted to check for cracks in the frame before the Scamp is towed to a Horse Trailer Mfg. Co. for the axle replacement. Naturally, I'm hoping that my friend there will tell me the axle is in great shape...but, that is doubtful on a 39 year old Scamp!

Like my old pappy used to say..if all else fails...read the directions! So I will follow the recommendations of Scamp when placing the floor jack..

Thanks again,

Bill

Old 01-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #31

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
That's the way it works Bill! We ask for Opinions and make our decisions based on what we Learn and Feel! No harm...No Foul! And again, we look forward to meeting as many of y'all as possible at Sebring. We will have the Rolling V Berth in site 31!!!
Old 01-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #32

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Bill Nolen;566125]Mary and Bob, Thanks for the photo. It reminded me that I have a set of two stamped metal ramps, something like those. in my pile junk back of my little barn!

What material is your ramps made of?

Solid wood, a sawmill custom cut several sets for use in truck shops. I don't like the metal ramps so much as they only contact the ground on the ends. If on dirt they can sink in. The wood ramps have full length contact.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #33

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Those stamped, formed metal ramps can either damage your blacktop driveway, or sink in the ground, as noted, making them more dangerous than the "solid" wood ramps that distribute the pressure over a large area. Mine are made of scraps of wood. I have been in the reusing (and money saving) business ever since. I inherited a pair of metal jackstands from a late friend of mine. They support the Scamp in my Scamport, and are placed on pieces of 2x12 pressure treated (also construction scraps).
Old 01-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #34

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
cracks in frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Jack on the frame near the axle, never on the axle itself. For safety, I'd recommend putting the trailer up on jack stands while you crawl underneath. Like the jack, place the stands on the main frame rails near the axle.

The most likely places to find frame cracks are toward the front, especially where the A-frame bends under the front of the cabin.
Bill what Jon said is exactly what I found on my Burro frame. There was a slight bend upwards right near where the frame came out from under the shell. The problem I found was that I could not tell there were two 1.5" cracks in the 3" "frame rails" right at the intersection of the cross piece from side to side. I had wire brushed the whole frame with an angle grinder but could not get into the corners. I had to use a sand blaster to reveal the cracks hidden under the surface rust.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #35

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 17.5G
Washington
Registry
The great jacking question of aught 16

I for one prefer to take the manufacturer's advice. I asked Bigfoot which is what my trailer is since the owner's manual is silent on the topic. Their response is

"It is best to jack under the axle at the spring pack. This also lifts the trailer quicker as the springs do not unload to lift tire."

I realize it's not a Scamp, just sayin' that one answer does not fit all.

Dang but I want to go camping!
Old 01-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #36

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I wonder if some RV shops use lifts and whether a trailer can be taken to one to see the frame.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #37

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
I for one prefer to take the manufacturer's advice. I asked Bigfoot which is what my trailer is since the owner's manual is silent on the topic. Their response is

"It is best to jack under the axle at the spring pack. This also lifts the trailer quicker as the springs do not unload to lift tire."

I realize it's not a Scamp, just sayin' that one answer does not fit all.

AND your trailer is probably a spring axle and not a Torsion axle?

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp