Choosing a Color - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
I need some opinions on what color to paint my boler 1300.... I recently bought it and its green on the bottom and white on top. I am thinking that I will keep it white on top but I want to change the color for the bottom..... I have the equipment and skills to paint it with a spray gun. I am thinking I will just use automotive paint ??? The only problem is that I am having trouble on choosing a color, I have two favoured colors in mind. A Copper-orange type of color or a blue... I was just wondering what colors other people would choose if they were in the same situation.... Thanks!
Shane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Hi? Shane and WELCOME to the site!
"Canada" covers a very vast area to live in, not that it matters to anyone but YOU.

Your question about color choices for your egg are equally vast. There are MANY things to factor in while opting for a color choice. The bottom line is YOU need to feel comfortable with the color choice YOU choose. For the most part I/we chose ALL white for a few reasons. The first one is white does NOT attract heat the way other colors seem to. White also will go with whatever color tow vehicle you choose to tow it with and in our case it turned out to be a color contrast!!

There is a thread in here that shows many peoples color choices/combos for their trailers, you'll need to DIG (which will be good practice for you) into our archives to find the link, LOL!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Copy_of_DSCF1230.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
I need some opinions on what color to paint my boler 1300.... I recently bought it and its green on the bottom and white on top. I am thinking that I will keep it white on top but I want to change the color for the bottom..... I have the equipment and skills to paint it with a spray gun. I am thinking I will just use automotive paint ??? The only problem is that I am having trouble on choosing a color, I have two favoured colors in mind. A Copper-orange type of color or a blue... I was just wandering what colors other people would choose if they were in the same situation.... Thanks!
Funny you should ask. I just happen to be in that situation except I don't have a spray gun.
I am going to paint the top with Interlux White or Off white -- whichever best matches the TV -- and the bottom half with Sundown Buff to complement the tan TV interior.

It's currently in one coat of Interlux primer on the top and bottom.

Here's ther color chart.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userp...x/large/64s.jpg
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I have two favoured colors in mind. A Copper-orange type of color [b]or a blue... I was just wondering what colors other people would choose if they were in the same situation.... Thanks!
I like Process Cyan.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Keep in mind that not only does white reflect heat well, it stands out better at night and actually shows dirt less.

That said, remember it is fiberglass that is flexing as it moves, not metal. Boat paints may be more appropriate than automotive paints.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
This would be the thread with the interesting exterior paint jobs

Paint Jobs, real or imagined

Lots of good looking trailers in there.

The only consideration I would have on squelching some of the patterns or colors would be resale. Most folks just want white.. and your custom logoed or fancy whims may not appeal to everyone.

I had a whimsical patterned white on top, red on the bottom paint job on my 13 that didn't really seem to put folks off, but.. I don't know for sure. If someone wasn't interested in it because of the paint, I didn't have any way of knowing, because they didn't bother contacting me.

The guy that bought it intended to paint it his own colors anyway, so he didn't care. He said the red wasn't his favorite tho.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #7

Hmm, leave it white but get some of those nifty Flying Monkey decals that you could strip off later!
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I used regular PPG automotive paint on mine, its a single stage acrylic enamel instead of a base coat clear and its been okay with the flexing and all. I think the trick is to watch the hardener you use. Some of the accelerators you can buy cause the paint to dry so fast it actually gets brittle.

I know if you spend some more money there are some clears and hardeners that allow a little more flex but I went with some pretty basic stuff, even my white is an industrial PPG (ie. Translink White on the busses).
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
The white on our egg is an automotive paint and we NEVER went to the trouble/time n expense to repair all the little stress cracks as they'll only re appear anyway, LOL! Our trailer shows well but was never done to be a 'show trailer' as in 'show car' quality. I have yet to wax it and the paint now is almost 3 years old. Just wash with a good quality (I use only Meguires car care products) car wash soap.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
It took two years for my wife and I to agree on a colour for the family room and you want a complete stranger to choose yours????
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler
Thanks for the input everyone!
Shane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Shane...as for colour... "EGGSHELL" of course!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #13

Quote:
It took two years for my wife and I to agree on a colour for the family room and you want a complete stranger to choose yours????
Post-divorce I now realize that, although we too did that, within a week after the paint or wallpaper was dry I would no longer see it. I only resisted because of change, not the colors or patterns themselves. I'd bet money that my ex could tell you the shade/pattern of every room in every house we ever owned or rented...

Stereotypical scenario, woman tires of same old background which she sees, wants change; man used to same old background which he no longer sees and resists change.