chrome stove pan? cleaning help needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
My 1976 Surfside's chrome stove is kinda rusty and dirty looking. Does anyone have any experience cleaning them up. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I guess if I can't get it looking decent I will have to spray it with BBQ paint.

Thanks in advance
Darren H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Once Chrome is pitted and rusty, you have few options. Paint doesn't like to stick to chrome very well either, it has a tendency to peel unless bead blasted. Something I've seen done that kinda hides rust areas is ... after you kill the rust (maybe ZUD or navel jelly) is to rub the area with aluminum foil and regular COKE (brand). I've seen this done on car bumpers and it really helps. Not perfect but may be acceptable to you.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
My 1976 Surfside's chrome stove is kinda rusty and dirty looking. Does anyone have any experience cleaning them up. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I guess if I can't get it looking decent I will have to spray it with BBQ paint.

Thanks in advance
I'm in the same boat. It's looking like naval jelly, steel wool and some BBQ high heat Rustoleum paint. It's not high on my to-do list at the moment, but if you give it a try, post some before and after shots.

Also, there are some relatively inexpensive stoves on e-bay, but they're chrome, not true stainless. Probably good for another decade though, depending more on humidity and salt air, more than actual use.

Regards, Matt
Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 13 ft
Had my Trilliums 2 burner ceramic coated as it was rusted and had been painted in spots from previous owner. Looks almost as good as chrome and is high heat resistant to 2000 deg. Cost for the hinged lid cover, stove top and two burners was $100. Could have put money towards new stove but this is original and know it fits without modifying. Try to get pictures in the morning.
Peter J Halsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Get thee to WallyWorld; buy a bottle of LimeOut. This is mild citric acid and a chloride compound. Will destroy that rust in a matter of a few hours.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
I sprayed ours with oven cleaner and scrubbed the rust with a wire brush. I figured it couldn't make it any worse and got most of the junk off. Later I polished it with a metal polish and it's looked great for the last several years. We were asked at a gathering where we found a new top.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I will post pics once I'm done.

Cheers

Darren
Darren H is offline   Reply With Quote