Circular spring from bearing? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Name: constan
Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13
California
Circular spring from bearing?

Does anyone know what this is and what is it for? When I take off the hub I see this spring loose on the back bearing. Does it come from the bearing and if it comes out do I need to replace the bearing? The wheel turns fine after I pulled it out, but I just wanted to see if anyone here has any idea.

Thanks
constan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
That is from inside the grease seal. Most replacement seals don't have a spring in them.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #3

California
Ahh OK, yes, the grease seal was torn (the rubber part), so that makes sense. It must be from inside the rubber gasket part since I didn't see it when I installed it. I'm using the Bearing Buddy 60001 spindle seal, which I am replacing with a new one.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #4

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Carefull not to over-fill bearing buddies, to much pressure can "blow-out" rear bearing seal. Grease on brakes-not good
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Bearing Buddies are not great but sort of ok for boat trailers, but not helpful on a travel trailer unless you are planning on submerging the hubs in water. One very common situation with Bearing Buddies is that the rear seal will blow out. If this was my trailer, I would toss the Bearing Buddies in the trash and clean inspect and repack the bearings with new seals.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Bearing Buddies are not great but sort of ok for boat trailers, but not helpful on a travel trailer unless you are planning on submerging the hubs in water. One very common situation with Bearing Buddies is that the rear seal will blow out. If this was my trailer, I would toss the Bearing Buddies in the trash and clean inspect and repack the bearings with new seals.
I concur. Had them on my tent trailer, and had grease all over the tires in an interesting pattern from centrifugal force. Trailer had no brakes so they didn't get lubed along with the rest of the trailer.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'm not sure if the OP is using Bearing Buddies, or just that brand seal. He only said the seal, but good points about over lubing.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Also check the surface on the axle where the rear seal seats. That loose spring could have damaged the surface of the axle as the hub rotated.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:09 AM   #9

California
Thanks for all the helpful replies! Yes, I am realizing that Bearing Buddies are not working out... I have already lost 3 of them, and one of the rear seals blew out.. grease on everything. I lost them all on my first time ever taking a trailer out too. Not a fun first-time trailer voyage experience. It's also my fault for putting in too much grease though. Thanks for all the tips, you guys are great!

Constan