City water woes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #1

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Talking City water woes

Fought the city water line leak gremilns for 2 years and finally had to throw in the towel(s) as it were.. Seems no matter what I tried, the connections in the water line , the pressure reducer thingie, and the Camco filter wd leak...at their own pace..leaving wet dirt or pavement under the front of the trailer. I tried to carry a selection of washers, teflon tape etc but sometimes the darn stuff just leaks. Is this a common problem or are we just haunted" ;-)
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'm sure others have found solutions, but having been around here a couple years now I know it's a common problem.

If I were parked somewhere with water connections, I think I'd just fill my trailer tank as usual and use my water pump.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My trailer will leak on city connections sometimes, but it is leaking back to the water tank through the check valve and the water pump.
The vent dribbles a little water out after it has overfilled the water tank.
Could this be your problem?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post

If I were parked somewhere with water connections, I think I'd just fill my trailer tank as usual and use my water pump.
Thats what I do.. it also has the advantage of helping you gauge how much water you have used and how full the waste tanks are.

City water connections are more trouble than they are worth unless maybe you have sewer also at the site and like long showers in the camper.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I use a 90 degree fitting on the trailer hose connector, I think it helps take some strain off the fitting rather than just attaching the hose direct. The plastic hand wheel from Little House makes it easy to tighten the trailer connector. Pressure regulator goes on the campground spigot, then water filter, then hose, so everything is under the regulated pressure.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It is not brain surgery, it is just little bits of stuff and one piece connects to the next. So start and point A and keep replacing pieces until you get to the other end of the line. All new fittings and hoses
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #7

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Thumbs up pressure reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I use a 90 degree fitting on the trailer hose connector, I think it helps take some strain off the fitting rather than just attaching the hose direct. The plastic hand wheel from Little House makes it easy to tighten the trailer connector. Pressure regulator goes on the campground spigot, then water filter, then hose, so everything is under the regulated pressure.
Ya'll may have hit my problem..looking at the line I see the pressure reg is near the trailer end of the line..I will try it at the spigot, then the camco, then the hose.. may work thanks !!
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #8

Name: Aldrene
Trailer: Big Foot
California
Water leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
Fought the city water line leak gremilns for 2 years and finally had to throw in the towel(s) as it were.. Seems no matter what I tried, the connections in the water line , the pressure reducer thingie, and the Camco filter wd leak...at their own pace..leaving wet dirt or pavement under the front of the trailer. I tried to carry a selection of washers, teflon tape etc but sometimes the darn stuff just leaks. Is this a common problem or are we just haunted" ;-)
Fred:

You have done most of what should have stopped the leak. There are two possibilities that may have caused your leak. One is the hose clamp on the inside of your city water connection and the other might be that your city water connection is worn out and the metal portion is leaking much like a garden hose would leak after some time, even with a new washer. You could just buy a new city water connection and hook it up. If it doesn't solve the problem, you could still take the new unit back to the RV store and get your money back.

Ron
Aldrene is offline   Reply With Quote