Cleaning of a Cast Iron Skillet - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I got out my little cast iron skillet and saw rust on it... I took some sandpaper and scrapped it off.. then re-greased it and put it in the over on 400 for a few min.. will this recure it? Every cast iron skillet i have as always rusted and my food stick.. I have purchased a couple at the good will stores but i think i got this one new?? I cant remember

Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Cast Iron cookware has a tendancy to rust. The more you use it the less chance of rust and the better it becomes as a non-stick cookware.

There are two extremes. Not re-coating the cookware after cooking will cause it to rust. We like to clean the cookware after cooking and then let it dry over a warm heat. Then add a coating of vegetable oil all over, inside and out. Next, we found it best to buff down the cookware with a paper towl to a nice finish.

If you put to much oil on your cookware and leave it, it can go rancid.

I hope this helps.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Michael is right, Christie, the more used the pot, the better!

There have been debates here about using detergents on the pot or not. I typically put water in my Dutch Oven or pan and reheat it to boiling, empty and reoil. If it's really gross, I'll put it in a pan of slightly soapy water and give it a good scrub. When done, I'll use a little olive oil as Michael says and rub it all over the pot using a paper towel.

I store my pots in a brown paper sack. That keeps them clean and dry.

There was a program on the food channel a short while ago that spoke about all the new cookware and how there will be a return to more cast iron cookery as people consume less iron in diets. And, of course, there's the link of some of the nonstick products to cancer that's been in the news.

What 'cha cooking, anyway?
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
What 'cha cooking, anyway?
gonna be cooking eggs, bacon, hasbrowns for breakie....

I am taking off tomarrow for a week to celebrate my big 6-0 day!!

Thanks for the info.. i only use it for camping but maybe I will bring it in the house and start using it....
Old 04-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Happy Birthday Christi
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
That's funny, my wife and I have had this debate before. She was adamant against me using any detergent on her cast-iron cookware. However, after a discussion with my grandmother (who, IMHO, is the greatest cook alive), I am convinced that detergents will not harm them, provided they are seasoned on occasion. My grandmother has a cast-iron skillet she has used for 60+ years, and she washes it after each use. I finally convinced my wife on this, so we now season our cast-iron stuff occassionally. We season ours by coating the entire surface with lard, then stick in the oven at 250 for 8 hours.
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #7
will vegatable oil work( crisco) or does it have to be olive oil or ????

8 hrs is a long time !
Old 04-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
quote from Lodge Cast Iron Manfucturing Co, catalog no.8, page 4

After cooking in your cast iron cookware, clean the utensil with hot water and a stiff brush. Never use harsh detergents to clean as it will remove the seasoning. Avoid putting hot cast iron into cold water. The resulting thermal shock can cause it to warp or crack. Towel dry your cast iron thoroughly. While the utensil is still warm from the hot water, wipe a light coat of vegetable oil or spray on all the interior and exterior surfaces."

Christi - I season with canola oil on all surfaces in a 450 degree oven for 30 minutes. Then turn off the oven and let pan cool to room temperature inside the oven.

Tom Trostel

1980 Bigfoot 17' & 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is online now   Reply With Quote