Cleaning product storage ideas? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Cleaning product storage ideas?

I'm looking for some slick ideas from the FGRV community on the best way to store spray bottles of cleaning products in the trailer. I am, admittedly, a bit OCD about cleaning so I always have a spray bottle of some sort of solvent-based cleaner like 409 or an orange oil based product, then I have a bleach-based cleaner for disinfecting and sometimes I keep a pet deodorizing spray in case one of the pups has an accident on the upholstery. I keep window cleaner in my tow vehicle in aerosol form so that is never an issue.

No matter where I put these bottles in my Bigfoot, they always seem to tip over, the squeeze triggers get broken, they leak, end up sliding around the floor, in the shower, behind the toilet, etc. I have a 17-foot Bigfoot and not too many storage places to put things like this so I sometimes hang them from the towel bar in the bathroom above the toilet or put them in the lavatory sink since I never use that. But inevitably, they end up all over the place and leak at some point.

What do some of you folks do to store your cleaning products? I figure someone has probably come up with some sort of brilliant solution for small RV environments by now. Anyone? TIA.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We stopped using spray bottles. We use wipes instead. Just about anything you can get in a spray you can get in a wipe. Pledge, Windex to name a couple. The packages reseal after removing one wipe and store without worrying about spilling.

If you feel you really need the spray bottles a small storage tub with a lid will keep the corralled.

You can purchase spray bottles that are smaller and easier to store. Make sure you label them will.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I also have switched to wipes when possible but I keep them as well as all the black tank odor control products, windex etc in a small chrome trash can in the bathroom - on my trailer the can just tucks away beside the toilet as its only about 6" wide.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I only keep 2 spray bottles in the camper simple green and bleach,they stay in the bathroom in a trash can that does double duty. They go in a trash bag( think Walmart type bag)then in the bottom of close to the side of the trash can,then I put a regular trash bag in on top.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #5

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Have you tried a small crate "like a milk crate but smaller" places like Dollar stores and Wal-Mart have.
I have a dishwashing tub I place stuff that that in.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use spray cans instead of squirt bottles. I carry only 3, a cleaner disinfectant called Sud 'n Kleen which is expensive but cleans most anything. It will clean up the most nastiest sticky greasy stuff. I have to buy it on E-bay since its sold in the hospital / industrial cleaning world. The other cans I buy are glass cleaner and Ant spray. Spray cans are easy to transport with the lids on they are spill proof. If you want to lock them in a certain location screw down some cup holders as used in automotive accessories. Dish soap is in a pump dispenser mounted in the counter top by the sink. Squirts right into the sink or in your hand or container.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I keep window cleaner in my tow vehicle in aerosol form so that is never an issue.
temperatures inside a closed vehicle can sometimes exceed 120 degrees, read the can it may say to avoid heat. I'd switch to non-aerosol.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #8

Registry
Mike, I have also seem people add wire shelves to the bathroom door for holding cleaning items as well as hanging shoe holders with large pockets. One person I recall seeing here used a small plastic storage box ( it was about 4 to 5" deep, with a hinged lid on it. They attached the box bottom to the door & used it for storing their cleaning supplies & extra TP.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We carry two spray bottles. Both fit under the sink side counter against the wall at floor level. I have a bungee cord that runs across the wall that holds them in place.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #10

Registry
Another option is Shampoo holders that stick to the fiberglass walls using suction cups. You can find them in different sizes and styles and most are deep enough to hold spray bottles without them falling out.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post

What do some of you folks do to store your cleaning products? I figure someone has probably come up with some sort of brilliant solution for small RV environments by now. Anyone? TIA.
I build custom storage for all kinds of odd things. Check the website to get an idea. Could make any size pocket you want that mounts without holes.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Temperatures inside a closed vehicle can sometimes exceed 120 degrees, read the can it may say to avoid heat. I'd switch to non-aerosol.
Thanks but I've been doing this for as many years as I can recall and I've never had a can explode, even in 100+ degree temps. I make sure the can is kept out of direct sunlight, usually under a seat or in a storage compartment. No problems, even in sunny Southern California.

Thanks for all the great ideas, gave me some things to think about. I'm leaning towards replacing space under the towel bar in the shower with some sort of plastic basket-style holder fastened to the wall. I never use that towel holder and it seems like a good spot to keep everything out of the way and even if it does leak, it will be in the shower. I just need to find a size that holds the spray bottles I use but doesn't take up too much space.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I keep window cleaner in my tow vehicle in aerosol form so that is never an issue.
temperatures inside a closed vehicle can sometimes exceed 120 degrees, read the can it may say to avoid heat. I'd switch to non-aerosol.

When I was building truck parts, the SAE said the interior a vehicle could get to 180°F. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). The inside of my trailer stays cooler than the inside of my tow.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Thanks but I've been doing this for as many years as I can recall and I've never had a can explode, even in 100+ degree temps. I make sure the can is kept out of direct sunlight, usually under a seat or in a storage compartment. No problems, even in sunny Southern California.

Thanks for all the great ideas, gave me some things to think about. I'm leaning towards replacing space under the towel bar in the shower with some sort of plastic basket-style holder fastened to the wall. I never use that towel holder and it seems like a good spot to keep everything out of the way and even if it does leak, it will be in the shower. I just need to find a size that holds the spray bottles I use but doesn't take up too much space.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!
Just because you got away with it doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
go here for shower caddy: Command

Then go to the home page to see all the other products.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote