cleaning rat fur - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: 13' scamp
Michigan
cleaning rat fur

I just bought a 16 ft scamp. We're giving it a cleaning. Cushing covers went through wash machine on gentle cycle - worked well. Used power washer and a small amount of simple green on the foam cushions - that worked well but took 2 days of warm sunshine to dry. We are now looking at ways to clean/shampoo? what I believe you call rat for covering the walls and ceiling. It doesn't appear to be very dirty but trailer was built in 1997 and has kind of a stale smell. Help?
john in flushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use ulpolstery cleaner from the auto parts store. I wear rubber gloves and spray the fabric very wet and work it by hand and then use my wet/dry shop vac to vacuum it dry removing the dirty cleaner as we go. I work about a 2 foot square area then suck it dry and move to the next area. I use my gloved hand because its easy to tease the fabric on my version of rat fur. Make sure to open all your windows as some of this spray stuff is very fume'ie. If I didnt use the ulpolstery cleaner I would probably use woolite cleaner.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have found due to the properties of the rat fur it does not absorb or hold a lot of dirt. If you can find a portable steamer that works really well. I have actually used a foam carpet cleaner on my lower door area that worked pretty well also but found that you cant rub to much on the rat fur as it tends to pull and get a little shaggy ;-) thus the reason using a steamer seems to work better as there is little rubbing on the rat fur.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I agree with both Steve and Carol. A steamer followed up with a shop vac. for general freshening up and cleaning. For stains and door bottom I use Blue Magic, carpet stain and spot remover. You may need to brush lightly in one direction. If it gets shaggy like Carol described I just trim it up with a pair of scissors. For odor removal and cleaning we also use white vinegar because of perfume and cleaner allergies.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I just vacuum and use upholstery spot remover on the bottom of my Scamp's door. The trailer body rat fur was actually more dusty than dirty. I found vacuuming really cleaned it up well.

Whatever you do DON'T saturate the rat fur with water or anything else. You don't want the glue to release
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote