Cleaning Side Vents Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #1

Name: Jean-Pierre
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
Registry
Cleaning Side Vents Boler

Hi, I am new to the forum and have been looking around at the threads with no luck finding an answer to the question of cleaning out the outside vents for the fridge.

I am wondering if it is worth doing? It's still winter in Saskatoon, so it will be a while before I get back to work on the trailer. I am pretty sure my Boler is a 77. The fridge is working but I always need to have it turned up to max for it to be cold. I am wondering if there is maybe dust, dirt and who knows what in there that is affecting the venting and causing some problems? Any advice?

I have also been looking at tank repair and have found many helpful threads on the subject. That and the fridge are the major projects for this summer. A couple years ago I repainted the inside, new floor, repainted exterior and had new curtains and fabric...

It's slowly coming along...

Thank you, Jean-Pierre.
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Cleaning is always a good idea. I think the biggest problem with the under counter fridge is lack of air flow for the vent because it is side vented not top vented. Heat rises and it has to move sideways as opposed to up.

Several people have installed computer type fans to help the air move. Some people have also reworked the baffle system to encourage the hot air to move up also by adding a 45% angle piece of sheet metal. In my Boler I'm not sure if there is room to do this with the large drawer I installed.

I don't have the original outside vent as it was missing on my trailer. I made a door with a vent. I prop it slightly open to help air move.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
Registry
Hey Lizbeth,

Thanks so much for your reply. I figured it would be a good thing... Who knows, it could be 1977 when it got cleaned last... Mainly because it came out of the factory! LOL! I will give it a cleaning, and see about mounting something to help out with the airflow... I was thinking I would use my air compressor to blow out the vent areas after removing the covers. Then I think wash down whatever I can reach with a light detergent... Thanks so much for your help. I'll keep posted with how bad it is, to maybe prompt other owners to have a look at the situation.
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Camping world also sells a small battery operated fridge fan that I use on really hot days to help my fridge out a bit.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Carol are you talking about the one that goes inside the fridge? If so I use one of those too, it does help even out the interior temperature so the stuff on the bottom doesn't freeze.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Pete Dumbleton... RIP... mentioned putting mylar flaps inside the refrigerator.The kind you might see in a warehouse that separates rooms. I know he did it, and he said it was very functional and helped prevent the "cold" from pouring out when he opened the refrigerator door. He could reach between the flaps to grab what he wanted, but essentially the refrigerator portion was "sealed." Does this make sense the way I described it?

I too use an inside-the-refrigerator-battery-operated fan. I guess it works, the themometer says the 23 year old 3-way I have, stays cold once it gets to operating temperature.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
Carol are you talking about the one that goes inside the fridge? If so I use one of those too, it does help even out the interior temperature so the stuff on the bottom doesn't freeze.
Yes it the one the goes inside. It a small blue box type.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Like this? Valterra Products - FridgeCool Fan with On/Off Switch - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World mine must be the cheaper model... doesn't have an on and off switch.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
The fridge is working but I always need to have it turned up to max for it to be cold. I am wondering if there is maybe dust, dirt and who knows what in there that is affecting the venting and causing some problems? Any advice?
Small trailers with under-the-counter refrigerators are prone to cooling problems if not installed correctly.

Venting an RV Refrigerator is my go-to reference that explains the problems and what some solutions are.

RV Refrigerator Efficiency 101 also has good information.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Like this? Valterra Products - FridgeCool Fan with On/Off Switch - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World mine must be the cheaper model... doesn't have an on and off switch.
Yup Donna thats the one I have. It doesnt seem to use up a great deal of power when left on as it lasts a long time between battery changes. I just leave it in the fridge and turn on as the weather heats up.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Sometimes mine won't start and I have found that blowing on the fan blades in the correct direction will start it.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup Donna thats the one I have. It doesnt seem to use up a great deal of power when left on as it lasts a long time between battery changes. I just leave it in the fridge and turn on as the weather heats up.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #12

Saskatchewan
Registry
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I will give the vents a good cleaning and test things out... Then I will look in to one of those fans of the outside, because my fridge is so small... If all else fails I will go with one of the small interior fridge fans... The weather is heating up here, I hope to get on this sometime near the end of April! I will post with my results.

Tags
boler