cleaning the windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
cleaning the windows

When we bought our Trillium it was squeaky clean. While camping earlier this week I noticed that the windows are definitely needing a clean up job. Today was going to be the day but it rained so I put that job on the "Later" list. Now I'm wondering HOW one cleans those wind out window panes (jalousies?). The outside should be a breeze - but how DO you reach in to wash the inside? Do you take out the screen? Use a rag on a stick? Looking for suggestions before I tackle the job.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I've thought of the same question myself on my scamp awning type windows. For the screens, just thought I'd run a vacuum nozzle attachment to suck the dirt off of them. Yes a cloth on the end i
Of a stick or long butane lighter would work if you could get your fingers on the end and hold the cloth on somewhat or just let the pressure hold the cloth to the glass as you slide across with windex.

I'm camping now and after 2 thunderstorms on the lake my windows are filthy too! Always something to do!

CampyTime

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Open the jalousie windows wide open and you can clean the backside from the outside of the trailer.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
[QUOTE=Hazel in Sk;468741]I'm wondering HOW one cleans those wind out window panes (jalousies?). Use a rag on a stick? [QUOTE]

Ah ha! The old rag on a stick routine.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Windows? We don't need no stinkin' windows!

I just remove the screen from the inside. Of course, I have aluminum windows in my brick and mortar home so I am familiar with the process.
Just place your fingers against the frame next to the screen and you will find the screen will move in one direction, usually up. Then, holding the frame up, pull the bottom or opposite side out and the whole thing should come out easily.

How to Remove Window Screens | eHow

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Wind fully open and clean from the outside. Much easier than taking out the screens.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
as Roger said the screens just pop out. Lift the screen up from the inside by lifting on the screen frame, then gently pull the exposed bottom of the screen towards you. You may have to remove the window crank to fully remove the screen.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #8

Saskatchewan
I wonder how I knew that the owners of eggs would have suggestions for me for cleaning the windows. Now all I have to do is get outside and get busy! Thanks guys!!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #9

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
HI Hazel,

I'm curious to know if your windows don't open far. There have been a few suggestions to just open them further. The panes on mine go nearly horizontal when cranked all the way.

Cheers,
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #10

Saskatchewan
Our little Home Away From Home now has clean windows. They cranked out enough for me to get my hand between the panes!

Tags
windows