Clearance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 85 Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
We have a 85 Bigfoot 5th wheel and we need to get some more clearance. Our truck box is high and when there is any kind of an incline, the truck box rubs along the trailer. We were thinking of having the axel "flipped" to gain more clearance. Does anyone have experience with this or is there another way to go?
J Joelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Although I've never owned a fifth wheel, I've always flipped the axles on my travel trailers. I tend to go into some strange places, and I do not want to bottom out the trailer anbd wipe out either my water or sewer piping. I usually gain 3.5 - 4.5".

Flipping the axle is no big deal. You can do it yourself, but mark the axle positions so that they are in the same spot as before. THis is important for trailer tracking. Also, use new U-bolts. This is not the time to save a few pennies and lose a u-bolt that has failed.

If you are not handy, take it inot a truck spring place. T^hey're used to doing this sort of thing. Also ask for an alignment check.

Vic.
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:12 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Absolutely use new hardware -- Some of the Ubolt threads and nuts are designed to be locking and are effectively destroyed when removed.

One thing Dexter cautions on changing the springs is to be sure to limit the new spring travel to no more than the old travel was with a frame bumper -- Otherwise, the spring may be overextended and fail or break -- Been there, done that.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Absolutely use new hardware -- Some of the Ubolt threads and nuts are designed to be locking and are effectively destroyed when removed.

One thing Dexter cautions on changing the springs is to be sure to limit the new spring travel to no more than the old travel was with a frame bumper -- Otherwise, the spring may be overextended and fail or break -- Been there, done that.
Take your trailer to a frame shop. You can have the springs installed on top of the axle. You could also go up to 15 inch wheels and tires. I have seen two Bigfoot 5th trailers done this way.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 85 Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Thanks for the info! We are going to try having the springs put on top and see how that works out.
J Joelson is offline   Reply With Quote