Closet Bolt - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
What did I do this Memorial Day? Hold yourself back! I know you're going to be jealous!

Well, I stuck my hand down the toilet to replace one of the "closet" (as in water closet?) bolts for the toilet.

Busted one somewhere to, from or in Indiana. (I'm reasonably sure that Indiana in and of itself had nothing to do with it.) On my Casita, they're 1/4-20 bolts. The bolt has a kind of flat, head. Not a hex head. The nut has a built in flat washer. Found a kit with two bolts and a replacement foam seal at an RV store on the web somewhere (I can look it up if anyone really cares.)

Actually, I removed the the nut from the good side and lifted the toilet off and set it aside. My hand is too big to fit down the toilet hole. I disconnected the water before removing the bowl.

A little peek with an inspection mirror showed that there was a sort of clear band of silicone sealer in about a 2 inch wide circle around the holding tank hole. I was able to gently peel the edge back, remove the head of the broken bolt, and fish the new bolt up through the hole and smoothed the flap back. The flap serves to hold the bolt up while you reset the bowl over the bolts. Don't over tighten the nuts.

An easy job on a 3 year old toilet. Just in case you run up against the same problem.

Makes the case for doing a good job at the dump station.

You'll probably forgive me but I took no photos.

Anyhow, that's what I did Memorial Day. Not for the first time, nor for the last time....I gotta get a life.

Although the question did flit across my mind about whether I knew a woman with small enough hands to fit/reach down the hole and around the side so that I didn't have to remove the toilet. Now there's an idea for a date!
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Thanks for editing, Steve!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
Oh JUST what you wanted to do, hey?? Yep, to find a gal willing to do such things for you would be to find THAT special woman, hey??

Sort of like my sons-- when they meet a girl who also thinks gasoline and motor oil and dirtbike exhaust smells good-- they are in love.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Yes, a woman like that.........
Lise Villemaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
WANTED: Pretty young woman, who can get her hand down an RV toilet, and has boat and motor, please send photo of boat and motor !
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:07 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I do know how to show a girl a good time (snerk!)
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote