Clothes where do you store in a 13 footer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #21

Name: Cornelius
Trailer: Coleman Destiny Cedar
Minnesota
Where to put things

We don't have our scamp YET, but I have obsessed about this question already. At the present we (wife and I) have a popup. As another member mentioned we are also "campers" The gasoline stove, rubber maid tote with all kitchen wares,and dishpan are stored on the floor and go in the car at camp. We presently use a laundry basket for all of our clothes. Dirty clothes are stored in a duffel bag. 2 camp chairs are also stored during the ride in the trailer. I could see that when we get our scamp that the clothes could end up in the closet and the duffel in the cubicle to the right of the porta potty under the bunk. I can't wait to get our 13 ft front bunk scamp.
Nealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #22

Name: Dorothy
Trailer: currently shopping
Minnesota
We have compressible stuff sacks purchased from REI. They come in different sizes and can be used for anything. For space saving they can be packed and then cinched down using the compression straps into about half the original lenghth. Great for bedding, and can look like bolsters or hung from straps.
The Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Storage

We have found plent of room in our Scamp for clothes and just about everything else we need for our 11 months. We use no suitcases, duffle bags or backpacks. We have added storage every where we could while keeping a very open feeling in our Scamp.

Though I am very familiar with a Scamp 13, having modified our son's 1977 Scamp 13, I do not know your lay out. His Scamp 13 has a permanent bed in the back and a 2 seat dinette in the front/ converted from the bunks.

If you have the bunks in the front and have left the couch the way it is there's a lot of room under the couch for storage. Here is what we do.

Under couch center compartment: Two plastic bins for Ginny's Clothes. Behind Ginny's bin there's a space for two shoe boxes for tools.

Door side of couch, cut out front of fiberglass and installed a large drawer for Ginny's clothes. Behind this drawer I keep some rarely used tools, collapsible saw, soldering iron and wire.

Driver's side dinette, installed two drawers with plastic bins for my shorts, underwear and socks. In addition to these drawers there's space for a cube heater, fan, slower cooker and a lantern.

In our son's Scamp he keeps the bed made up. Under his bed we installed two full depth drawers. Each drawer contains two plastic bins.

Over the dinette/now bed we installed a full width overhead cabinet for his clothes.

In his Scamp we removed the couch and built a 2 person dinette in the front of his Scamp. Each dinette seat has a large drawer that opens to the center as well there is storage under the seat itself.

Over the 2 person dinette there is a shelf for storage and above the two person dinette table, built on to part of the couch back support is another small shelf.

We also shelved his closet.

For all the misc storage stuff, we added a bumper box on the rear bumper that containes hoses, cords, blocks and jacks. Under the bumper box are two 5x5 inch plastic fence posts that hold poles for his clothes line and awning.

In our Scamp 16 we store our pare of back up shoes under the edge of the side bath.

Under Scamp boxes like I added to our Scamp 16 are not possible on his Scamp 13 because his trailer is much closer to the ground than ours.

You can see pictures of our Scamp under modifications/Preparing a 1991 Scamp. If you want more pictures just let me know.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #24

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
...modified our son's 1977 Scamp 13, I do not know your lay out. His Scamp 13 has a permanent bed in the back and a 2 seat dinette in the front/ converted from the bunks. ...In his Scamp we removed the couch and built a 2 person dinette in the front of his Scamp. Each dinette seat has a large drawer that opens to the center as well there is storage under the seat itself. Over the 2 person dinette there is a shelf for storage and above the two person dinette table, built on to part of the couch back support is another small shelf...
Are there photos of the modifications you did to your son's Scamp? If so, what should I use as the search criteria? Thanks.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #25

Florida
Over Bed/Dinette Storage

I built a full width storage cabinette over the dinette/bed. I supported the cabinet on the window frames. I took a piece of aluminum angle and screwed it to the window frame. this supports the rear of the cabinet.

I mounted a piece of angle on the side windows as well. Since the side windows are not the same height as the rear window I added piece of wood to the top of the side windows angle to support the front of the shelf. This piece of wood is sized to make the front the same height as the rear support.

To create the shelf I cut a 1x3 to the width of the trailer and connect it to the side pieces at the depth I want the over head cabinette to protrude out over the bed dinette. I mark off this 1x3 ever 4" and measure the depth to the rear wall. I then transfer this depth to a 1/4 " thick piece of birch plywood and cut the rear curve. (I use a similar method for the front piece.

Here are four pictures. Unfortunately I did not take pictures to stepwise take a person thru a build. The first 3 are from my trailer and the last is from his. The process was virtually identical in both trailers.

When I finished I added two lights to the bottom surface of the cabinet.

As well off the front between the overhead cabinet and the kitchen Overhead cabinet I added a small shelf. Same thing on the otherside to the Scamp 13s closet.

If there's some specific element that you want me to take a close up of send me a post and I'll do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Overhead 1.jpg   Rear Overhead 2.jpg  

Overhead done.jpg   Mod3.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Ikea has a DRONA box 13 x 15 x 13 that fits nicely under the back bed area of my scamp. I leave the bed down on mine and 4 cube boxes fit well under it with lots of room between the front and the back ones for frequently used items such as shower room bag and camera gear etc. The back cubes hold less frequently needed general items for the trailer. I had trouble finding cube boxes that fit that area well due to the leg mechanism for the table getting in the way in the middle. I only use one of those boxes per person traveling for clothing but also use a couple of soft cube travel organizers for small items such as socks within the box to keep finding things easy. Have gone for weeks of travel with only the one box of clothing - surprising what it will hold. A stop along the way to do laundry is need every 7-10 days though. I hang my jackets & sweaters in the closet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #27

Ontario
Registry
Thank you so much! Will start with replacing the gaucho/sofa with a two-person dinette and add your renovations to my Wish List.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #28

Florida
More Scamp 13 mods and additions

Not the best of pictures but here are some of my son's other mods. All drawers I installed are on drawer slides including the long under bed drawers. The under bed drawers contain plastic bins for clothes. I do not like the interlocking bin cover's used. Our bins are all snap ons.

Where possible the drawer slides are attached to the floor, like under the bed, under the dinette seats and under the dinette table.

The drawers added under the kitchen sink are also on slides and required building a frame work to attach the slides.

Picture 1 is one of the two under bed drawers. You can see one of the plastic bins. To the right of it are the under sink drawers. You probably want two under bed drawers instead of one because it gives you a place to stand when you pull out a drawer.

Picture 2 is one of the under dinette seat drawers and the under table drawer. Above the fiberglass support of the front couch bunk, we built a box. Lifting it's top reveals another storage space, The one on the sink side contains the inverter and converter as seen in picture 5. The one on the other dinette seat contains tools.

Picture 4 shows the front dinette table. The rear dinette table was removed and replaced with a piece of plywood. Note I made a small curved shelf above the table, meant for a napkin holder, sale and pepper and the like but it becomes a catch all.

Picture 3. Is an over the new dinette shelf. It is supported by the window and two holes thru the shelf. I would not put holes thru the shelf again but that's how I did his.

As to our Bumper Box you can see it under Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16.

Hope this helps.

Glad to answer any specific questions.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG02157-20120802-1240.jpg   Mod1.jpg  

Mod2.jpg   Mod4.jpg  

Mod5.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #29

Ontario
Registry
Your workmanship is really impressive! We'd have to hire someone but the ideas and photos are certainly going in my collection of "In a Perfect World" Wish List items. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #30

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Thompson View Post
Lil M, the shelves you put in above the table/bed and converted bunk are great....can you give a few more details on how you built/attached the bookshelf above the bunk area? Thanks! S.
Hey Shannon, sorry for the long wait but here's a few close-ups. Hope this helps. First two pics are front shelf built with 1/2"x3"or 4" and 1/2"x6" alder bought at Menard's. Bolted to board that couch back was hinged to. Last two pics are back shelf built of 1/2"x 3 or 4" alder boards attached with L bracket to wood brace that table hardware is attached to. Love my Kreg jig!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1068.jpg   IMG_1070.jpg  

IMG_1065.jpg   IMG_1071.jpg  

Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We took the hanger rod out of the closet and built a couple shelves. I'm just finishing up two wire baskets from Home Depot that I mounted on drawer slides and will be mounted on the floor under the rear bed. Store clothes in them, slide out to get what we want. Haven't figured out a device yet to lock them in place when traveling but that shouldn't be a problem.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote