Clothes where do you store in a 13 footer - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Clothes where do you store in a 13 footer

In getting ready for camping season started wondering if there was a better place to store clothes than in suitcase on the bunk.

So where do people stash clothes?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
We store our clothes in the closet. Jackets and such on hangers, the rest in two duffel bags in the bottom of the closet. One duffel bag for Anne and one for me.
When on very long trips, another duffel bag each in the back of the truck to be able to have clothes for every weather condition.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #3

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
The company I work for gave all of its employees one of those trunk carry-alls that have two sections and handles on the sides. It is very sturdy and folds up into a nice flat square when not in use. I put my clothes in there and store it under the bed/table. You'll be surprised at how much it holds!!. I use a small plastic garbage bag for the dirty laundry and stuff it next to the carry all. It is easy to slide out and back in, and easy to carry from and to the house.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #4

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
We have jackets,pullovers, etc in closet. Each of us (2) have a small covered box for undies, socks, etc. Zip-Lock makes blue plastic, ventilated, zippered totes. That stack well and come in 4 different sizes. Easy to stack and move around. You will have to get used to moving clothes around in a 13ft.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #5

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Front closet for hanging clothes and one shelf for each of us in the tower for those things which do not need hangers.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 005.jpg  

Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Front closet for hanging clothes and one shelf for each of us in the tower for those things which do not need hangers.
The front closet is a nice option, looks like it more than doubles storage space. We have couch/bunks which ended up being used as two big storage shelves when we took it out right after we bought it. Seemed a little cluttered for small space.

Based on past camping soft sided like duffel bags are easy to "fit in" and don't take up more room than the contents, I have my tenting kitchen in two, had not considered them for clothes. But bins are easier to keep organized and find things.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
We have jackets,pullovers, etc in closet. Each of us (2) have a small covered box for undies, socks, etc. Zip-Lock makes blue plastic, ventilated, zippered totes. That stack well and come in 4 different sizes. Easy to stack and move around. You will have to get used to moving clothes around in a 13ft.
These totes? Never heard of them before but they look like a good idea. How do they hold up?

http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Flexibl...ef=pd_sim_hg_2

Thats why I like this site so much, lots of good ideas!
Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
The front closet is a nice option, looks like it more than doubles storage space. We have couch/bunks which ended up being used as two big storage shelves when we took it out right after we bought it. Seemed a little cluttered for small space.

Based on past camping soft sided like duffel bags are easy to "fit in" and don't take up more room than the contents, I have my tenting kitchen in two, had not considered them for clothes. But bins are easier to keep organized and find things.
It very easy to get the feeling clutter in such a small space as 13' trailer. Here again is good excuse to reduce to what you really need and use. Consider how much clothes you really need to take with you. Week-enders generally pack way too much of everything. Everything you put into a 13' trailer needs to be either something that will be used on that trip or emergency stuff (Emergency stuff, like jack, tools, flares, etc are in one small tote under the couch in the street side locker). Try to make thing multipurpose.

Do you need one heavy coat, a mid range coat, a lighter coat, a wind breaker, a sweat shirt, etc. Or can you wear a t-shirt and then layer over that, with a long sleeve shirt, or a sweat shirt, or both? If you think about it you reduce the need to carry a lot of stuff. Not just clothes, but stuff.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #9

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
I hang my clothes from a clothes pole over the foot of my bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3178028385.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	46389

This is what it looks like when I am in bed.
I put folding clothed in the shelves on the left and some things on the hooks. Lots of room, fewer wrinkles and what else is the foot of your (permanent) bed good for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2548987299.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	46390

These are old pictures. I got rid of the drawers because they fell out, now the clothes stay put and I have a bungee on the rod holding on the hangers. Lots of room and you know when you are running out of clean clothes.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #10

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Hi Alice, do you have a pix of what you're talking about? Sounds interesting but I cant quite picture it.

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
The company I work for gave all of its employees one of those trunk carry-alls that have two sections and handles on the sides. It is very sturdy and folds up into a nice flat square when not in use. I put my clothes in there and store it under the bed/table. You'll be surprised at how much it holds!!. I use a small plastic garbage bag for the dirty laundry and stuff it next to the carry all. It is easy to slide out and back in, and easy to carry from and to the house.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Clothing Storage

I'm soooooo glad you asked about clothing storage in a 13' Scamp! Storage tips of any kind are most appreciated! On our most recent trip this week to Clear Lake, California we "christened" the beautiful new shelves my husband installed in the half closet. We were very frustrated with the factory-installed single bar which allows you to hang your clothes from front to back, not side to side. Access to the clothing in back was awkward at best. When camping we really do not need to hang clothes. A few wrinkles are acceptable. Now we roll each shirt and pair of pants so they stack on top of each other. I store my socks and undies in a net "lingerie washing bag" with a zipper closure. My husband and I each have a small toiletry bag. Of course, being a woman, I have my curling iron, hair dryer and lotions and potions as well! I keep my sleeping accessories (novel, nightgown, sleep mask, earplugs, hairband, knit cap, etc.) in a ditty bag in the cabinet above the dinette/bed.

I was shocked to find that we easily filled all 4 closet shelves with our minimum of clothing and it looked UGLY! I had hoped to use some shelves for clothing and some for other camping "stuff" while using attractive bins to hold it all, but that was not to be. I'm thinking about the following option for the next trip. Each of us will have a 22" duffel bag for our clothing. The duffel can double as bolster pillows side by side on the bed or can be stored upright at the ends of the sofa or dinette. They can also be placed under the bed at night. If we choose this solution we don't have to unpack at all! To make the bolster pillows/duffels look better we can drape an attractive beach towel or fleece blanket over them. To help the duffels retain their shape I might line them with the foam matting that is used for yoga or backpacking. I just don't know yet.

For jackets we use over-the-cabinet hooks on the closet door.

I made custom-made "shoe pockets" for the interior of the closet door to hold lightweight, but often used items such as gloves and knit hats.

We needed a place to put our books and glasses at night because we read in bed. I made custom-made pockets that hang on each side of the window. One hangs on the rat fur and attaches with Velcro and one hangs on the fiberglass side of the closet with loops from suction cup hooks.

By the way, I use locking suction cup hooks everywhere on the fiberglass! I hang towels, keys, fly swatter, etc.

I want to know how to store shoes and boots.

Also, how do you use the storage space in the sofa hatches?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #12

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Some great ideas for storage in this thread. I pack most of my clothes in a soft sided bag that lives on the bed (it is easy to throw somewhere else if the need arises). Raincoat, heavy wool sweater and suchlike go in the closet, which has shelves. Also have a stash of books, games and sundry 'stuff' in there. Hubby keeps most of his things in the car.

Spare boots and shoes go in the cupboard under the sink. Personal gear. 1st Aid supplies, bug spray and the like go in the cupboard over the stove.

As we are 'campers' rather than 'RVers' we cook and eat outside - so the pots, dishes etc live in the back of the car. Also there we have canned goods and things that don't go in the fridge. We have never cooked in the Ventura, the stove and sink are covered by a shelf which gives us space for our cameras and the laptop (and other things that just finish up there).

Dirty laundry goes in a drawstring top bag that hangs in the corner over the bed.

The back bunk boxes contain accessories for the camp canopy - bug screens and windwalls. A box of useful tools, some old tent poles, spare ropes, etc in the front bunk box.

On the back of the camper there is a scruffy old wooden box that carries spare gasoline and the outboard motor for the canoe.

For driving to and from the campsite we tend to just put things where they fit best in car or camper and sort when we get there.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #13

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I'm soooooo glad you asked about clothing storage in a 13' Scamp! Storage tips of any kind are most appreciated!...

...Each of us will have a 22" duffel bag for our clothing. The duffel can double as bolster pillows side by side on the bed or can be stored upright at the ends of the sofa or dinette...

...I made custom-made "shoe pockets" for the interior of the closet door to hold lightweight, but often used items such as gloves and knit hats...

One hangs on the rat fur and attaches with Velcro and one hangs on the fiberglass side of the closet with loops from suction cup hooks...

By the way, I use locking suction cup hooks everywhere on the fiberglass! I hang towels, keys, fly swatter, etc.

I want to know how to store shoes and boots.

Also, how do you use the storage space in the sofa hatches?
Everyone has such creative ideas. Decorator duffel bags almost sounds like a business idea. We have some old french military duffel bags that have an "H" shaped opening that allows opening the top completely. We have used them for camping stuff for years. Awkward to open and close as they use overlapping flaps with grommets on one flap and rings on the other and a chain that threads through the rings. Now with velcro closures... hmmm.

For years we had a hanging pocket thing on our bathroom door, it was really handy so may start looking for one that will fit the closet.

Don't have rat fur, we are from the elephant hide generation but do like the idea of a hanging "nightstand" on the closet. Just a suction cup and hook to hang the phone charger cables and headphones and other small stuff on would be nice.

Will need to find a place for the emergency stuff and street side under couch is probably big enough and not all that accessible for daily access items. The curb side under couch to me "screams" I should have a drawer or hatch to make me accessible without lifting cushions.

Had been thinking inside the box on kitchen overhead cuboards as kitchen space but we too are campers rather than RV's and cook outside with much of the equipment in the car so those cupboards would be a good spot for our general stuff as Hazel suggests.

No way I can put anything at the foot of the bed, I'm 6'1" tall and just fit, wife could on her side but the dog has already claimed the unused space at the foot of the bed on her side in only one weekend.

Never thought where one would put shoes and boots. I wear my boots and stuff a spare pair of shoes someplace in case the ones I have on get soaked. I could put those "spares" with the emergency stuff.

Norm posted some stuff awhile back about screwing the lids to shallow latching plastic bins under the trailer for things like extension cords and such. As we refine our packing I may look into that.

All these good ideas and just in time, done cleaning inside of camper and almost done with outside so will begin to pack for camping trip planned for next week end.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #14

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hi Alice, do you have a pix of what you're talking about? Sounds interesting but I cant quite picture it.

Melissa
Hi Melissa;

Sorry to confuse you, I could not think of the proper name when I wrote the post. It is just a trunk organizer. I'll use the attachment here, but not sure the picture will show up.

Alice
Attached Thumbnails
tote 002.jpg  

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote