CO Detector On Sale at Ace Hardware - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-13-2007, 12:28 AM   #15
Name: Patty
Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Every season you hear about someone taking their Bar-B-Q grill indoors or running a generator inside the house. If having one of those on for a short time inside a normal size house is enough to kill you, it wouldn't take long to die in a camper.

Remember its important to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home too because you have a furnace, stove and possibly other mechanisms that could produce it. (Also three years ago, an acquaintance of my family pulled into his garage, accidentally left the engine running on his car and went into the house. The little trap door to the attic in the garage was open and the fumes went into the house and sadly he and his parents died. A detector would have saved them.)

Better to spend the money for all the detectors mentioned in this thread and be safe.

Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #16
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here're some 'facts' gleaned from my own experience and from reading other RV groups:

1. The Buddy Heater is NOT catalytic; not to say it isn't safe, but it's not catalytic despite how Camping World continues to list it (Don't take my word for this, call Mr Heater and ask them) -- The ODS system used on many non-Cat vent-free heaters will shut the thing down long before O2 levels drop anywhere near dangerous levels. Also, last time I looked, not all Olympian heaters are catalytic.

2. The most tech-inclined guy I know is currently an over-the-road trucker (and RVer), sleeps in his cab bunk and heats it with a Coleman Black Cat -- He has rigorously tested it with an O2 meter and pronounces it safe, just as Coleman says, with the appropriate ventilation specified by Coleman.

3. Same guy uses a NiteHawk CO monitor because it also gives out the actual CO reading, esp when using LP rangetop.

4. Reportedly, the CO monitors for home and RV differ in the level at which they alarm; ostensibly so fire departments don't respond to false alarms -- Given that a home has more volume and the alarm threshold may be set higher, these factors may or may not offset each other (hence my friend's preference for a monitor that reports actual levels) when used in RV.

5. RV furnaces of age and rough use, the heat exchange kind, have been known to leak between the combustion and clean air chambers, plus there is always a possibility of exhaust air leaking back into the RV with prevailing wind conditions and air leakage of door and window seals.

6. Having a way to shut off the CO monitor is a good thing, esp if you have a generator, because the generator or a nearby idling automotive engine will indeed produce alarmingly high CO levels (Pun intended )

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote