CO/gas monitor questions also smoke detector Q. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I got a CO/propane monitor that plugs in and has a battery backup. But I'll only be using it when I'm using the trailer. I don't want it to run off the battery when I'm not using it; I want it off altogether. Do I need to remove it AND remove the battery each time I am not using it? If I leave the battery in it will chirp when the battery gets low; if I take it out it will chirp when there is power to the unit but no battery installed. Do I get a different kind of detector altogether?

Second question, small smoke detector. My mounting choices (places where I can put screws into wood) are on the lower part of the dinette or the wall between the dinette/bed and the "kitchen/storage". It says not to put near flourescent lights, which rules the wall out. It says to put it high, which rules the lower part of the dinette out. Any good way to stick the smoke detector to the ceiling (which is covered with black fur) without screws? I thought maybe the hook part of velcro might stick into the fur (it would probably fall down when driving but I could put it up when sleeping.)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I got a CO/propane monitor that plugs in and has a battery backup. But I'll only be using it when I'm using the trailer. I don't want it to run off the battery when I'm not using it; I want it off altogether.

Bobbie
I don't really think this a good idea. A propane detector should be on all the time. Reason- Trailer has been sitting for awhile. Propane leaks. You open trailer door, turn on propane detector or something else, spark - boom. Could ruin your whole day. Get a propane dectector made for RVs. They draw very little current. Your battery will discharge about the same with an RV propane detector running as without it running. I want to know there's something wrong long before I open the door.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I power the propane detector down when the trailer is not in use and have the outside propane tanks turned off.

I leave the batteries in the CO and smoke detectors and replace the bats every year and the complete detector every 5 years.

I have 2 CO detectors because, I feel better having 2 just incase 1 doesn’t work. Great detectors with the digital readout are less than $30USD at Sam’s Club.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
I power the propane detector down when the trailer is not in use and have the outside propane tanks turned off.

I leave the batteries in the CO and smoke detectors and replace the bats every year and the complete detector every 5 years.

I have 2 CO detectors because, I feel better having 2 just incase 1 doesn’t work. Great detectors with the digital readout are less than $30USD at Sam’s Club.
If I keep this detector (which is a combo propane/CO)...

I also would turn off the propane at the tank while not in use. (It would likely be on very seldom.) So it probably makes sense to keep the battery out, keep the detector off, and just plug it in before turning on propane. I'm pretty conscientious about doing things like that. But if I could get a separate CO and propane detector, battery operated (not 12V) that would work, too.

Bobbie
Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
One concern I have re. a combination propane/ CO detector is that propane sinks, so those detectors should be mounted near the floor, whereas manufacturers recommend that CO detectors should be mounted high. To combine the two functions in one detector doesn't seem like a good idea to me...

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
One concern I have re. a combination propane/ CO detector is that propane sinks, so those detectors should be mounted near the floor, whereas manufacturers recommend that CO detectors should be mounted high. To combine the two functions in one detector doesn't seem like a good idea to me...
Jeanne
CO mixes with air very effectively so will be dispersed throughout the trailer quickly. Plus, we aren't talking a lot of volume or distance from ceiling to floor- I don't think that is an issue.

Bobbie
Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #7

Registry
In the unlikely event that you turn off the propane detector and blow up your trailer you'r liable for all damages. I doubt any insurance would cover any damages caused. It's a small thing to leave the detector turned on all the time.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:56 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Get 2 seperate units.
Propane is heavier then air so it sinks to the ground or floor of trailer and this detector should be near floor, if it is up to high and your are sleeping it may be too late by the time the detector goes off.
The CO detector should be up on the wall for the opposite reasons.
As far as mounting...
Use a good quality, 2 sided sticky tape and first clean area with lighter fluid the dry good with clean paper towel.
or you can first mount a backer board to, say inside of cupboard then use screws through the cupboard side into the wood.
Question for all, My CO detector goes off when ever I am cooking inside the camper even though it is on other side of camper and all windows are open.
Are they that sensitive or do I have a super sensative one?
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Our CO detectors stated that we could mount them anywhere (except in a draft) and they would work and gave the reason that CO mixes with the air thus installable anywhere.

Smoke and propane detectors have very specific instructions.

Sam’s Club sells the CO detector with a digital readout that will give you precise readings even B4 they go off. Will tell U the CO readings in the air, even the acceptable limits. Sells for around $25USD. Nighthawk, Round with a LCD display.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Well, I'm always happy to learn something new! I don't know what gave me the idea that a CO detector should be installed high on a wall but I realize now it's not really an issue after all.

Jeanne

Quote:
CO mixes with air very effectively so will be dispersed throughout the trailer quickly...
Quote:
Our CO detectors stated that we could mount them anywhere (except in a draft) and they would work and gave the reason that CO mixes with the air thus installable anywhere.
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Propane/LP detector should be mounted low because the gas sinks.

Smoke detector should be mounted high because the smoke rises.

CO detector can be mounted anywhere because the gas disperses, however, I would be likely to mount a CO detector high because the CO is more likely to be coming from hot than cold and would therefore rise.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:26 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
CO detector can be mounted anywhere because the gas disperses, however, I would be likely to mount a CO detector high because the CO is more likely to be coming from hot than cold and would therefore rise.

Maybe this is the problem with mine going off every time I even boil water in my Boler.
The CO from gas burner rises and set the thing off even with all windows open and yes I have a vent with window right over stove but enough CO must get around it and...
BEEEP, BEEEP. BEEEP.
I just take it off the wall and place it outsidenow, knowing it will go off before I cook inside which is seldom, then place it back on wall.
Gerry the annoyed cook/canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Seeing as I'm not prepared for an endless sleep I mount my CO monitor about head height in my sleeping area. In my boat in every sleeping area.

FRED.......................................
H. Fred Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #14

Trailer: Trillium 4500
The CO meter in the sleeping quaters is the best idea. warm air does travel up, I've found that Generator exsaust fumes from other campers sometimes sneak in my trailer.
Ryan Kennelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:

Maybe this is the problem with mine going off every time I even boil water in my Boler.
The CO from gas burner rises and set the thing off even with all windows open and yes I have a vent with window right over stove but enough CO must get around it and...
BEEEP, BEEEP. BEEEP.
I just take it off the wall and place it outsidenow, knowing it will go off before I cook inside which is seldom, then place it back on wall.
Gerry the annoyed cook/canoebuilder
Gerry, my Smoke/CO detector goes off when I cook, but warns me of "Fire! Fire!" (It has a voice warning telling you which the problem is.) I find it goes off anytime I cook unless I open the fantastic fan vent over the table (fan off, most of the time) and the window over the stove. Occasionally I'll turn the fan on as well.

If your CO detector goes off -- not your smoke detector -- you might look at the color of your stove-top flames. When there is no pot on top of them they should be all blue or white, no yellow, amber, orange, or red color at all. If you see these non-blue colors, you are creating CO gas and need to clean and/or adjust the air intakes on your burners.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane