Coffee Maker discussion - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
yupper's got me one of these coffee brewer's....from doughnut's to sittin in the trailer to coffee....
good topics for this cool fall day.
Hmmm,,, I think much of the time I would have a hard time finding the right kind of current bush to make this one work, or the Microwave for that matter.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Gerry,
Cuisinart makes a small 4-cup electric coffeepot with a metal beaker. You used to be able to buy it at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It works great!!
Pat
PatandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 AM   #23

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
Gerry, I recently bought one of the cuisinart coffeemakers with the metal beaker at Bed Bath and beyond, so I know they are still available.
Kathy Davisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #24

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Pete....

ROOM!!!!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:14 AM   #25

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
I use a Coffee Siphon. Makes great coffee. Will be getting a smaller one for the egg.
Attached Thumbnails
15539vacuum_coffeemaker.jpg  
Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #26

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
I use a Coffee Siphon. Makes great coffee. Will be getting a smaller one for the egg.

I've never heard of one of those before. How does it work?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #27

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
I'm looking to get one of these. Read the reviews from the Coffee Experts and check out the video on it's use. I'll have one of these before the week is out...
Dave

Name:   aero_press_04.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  21.5 KB

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

Video
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/videos/Aeropress.wmv
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #28

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I had seen them, but not had a good look. With a photo and the maker for guidance, I found these:
Bodum Santos Vacuum Coffee Maker - ProductWiki (reasonable description except that it misses any reference to a filter)
Yama Vacuum Coffee Brewer TCA-3 - Green Beanery (says even less, but at least says it's filtered)
Vacuum Coffeemakers - Fante's (illustrated step-by-step operation)

Personally, I don't see any "siphon" effect going on, and little if any "vacuum", in most of these. It works much like the recently discussed Italian style (such as those by Bialetti), but the coffee ends up in the bottom (instead of the top), and passes both ways through the grounds and filter (versus one way, upwards). Both are driven by steam pressure; the Bialetti et al are done as soon as the water passes through; these ones need to cool to relieve pressure and allow the coffee to flow by gravity (and maybe slight vacuum) back to the bottom.

The Retro model from Fante's really does need a vacuum to return the coffee, and that return is via a siphon. I think it would be a fascinating toy, but the models from everyone else look more practical to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #29

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I looked them up to, and read that they are difficult to clean, so they're off my list. That's my problem with the coffee press, though I have used it by using tea-bag things for the coffee.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #30

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Bobbie,

I've had this coffee maker for almost two years. The only thing hard, is wiping the grounds out. And that's not a chore. The filter, spring thing is one piece and I rinse it off. I don't wash my coffee pot every time I use it, but a quick cycle through the dishwasher does the trick.

I wonder if those coffee ground packets would work? May try that and let you know.

Just food for thought.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
In a former life, I had one of the Bodums. We didn't use it for everyday coffee, but it was a fun thing when we had company! And there was absolutely no radar after-taste
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Sirit Deluxe
Hmmmmm... So many ways to make coffee. Best part of camping is good old perked coffee. We use a Corning 8 cup perkerlator but the Aluminium ones work well and cost a lot less than a Mr Coffee.
andy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:47 AM   #33

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Doesn't anybody boil coffee anymore. On a trip to Sweden most of the coffee was boiled and put into a glass (thermal) carafe.
Just boil the water. Take it off the heat. Add coffee. Return tio the heat until it just starts to boil. Serve. Best coffee around. Don't shake the pot.
I didn't see a Starbucks while in Sweden.

At home we use a drip coffee maker with a Swiss Gold filter. The glass thermal carafe keeps the coffee hot for hours and it doesn't seem to get bitter.
Dan M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #34

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
When traveling in Italy a few years ago, I wandered into a kitchen store and found the perfect thing...a metal coffee press! It's stainless and perfect for traveling or camping. I can use the pot to heat water or anything on top of the stove. It's unbreakable. I think mine is about a 4 cupper.

I'll look around for one online. I'm not sure it wasn't made for separating cream, but, it's perfect as a coffee press.

Well, after a quick search...
Metal, unbreakable, Thermal, Coffee Press: http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?sku=385181

Ummmm...nothing like a good, strong cup of coffee in the morning!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #35

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Gigi,

Since that is a thermal pot one could not use it to heat the water, your pot sounds like a real keeper.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #36

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
We have an all stainless (inside and out) french press, which is great because it can be placed right on the heat. It's made really well, in the US. I found it in an old fashion army/navy/boy-scout supply store.
You never know what you will find in those places!
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Hi,
We have an all stainless (inside and out) french press, which is great because it can be placed right on the heat. It's made really well, in the US. I found it in an old fashion army/navy/boy-scout supply store.
You never know what you will find in those places!
Marjie
here's one at REI: REI Stainless Steel French Press
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #38

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Coffee industry experts say French press is the best way to make coffee.

"The best way to control the time and temperature is to use a French press coffee maker. The French press offers unparalleled flavor due to perfect extraction time and delivery of the volatile oils that are often trapped in paper filters. A French press is also the least expensive coffee brewer available." http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/brewing.htm

Nissan makes an insulated stainless steel French press pot that is excellent and travels well. Here's just one of many sources:

http://www.coolstuffcheap.com/thermos-niss...ench-press.html
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote