Coffee Maker discussion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Does anyone know if there is an electric coffee maker with a metal beaker????
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry- I don't kow about a metal beaker, but black and decker makes a 1 cup coffee maker that makes coffee directly into the mug. See this link: http://www.blackanddeckerappliances.com/product-54.html

Sheryl
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I bought one similar to this at Wal-Mart for <$50
Mr. Coffee Black 8 cup programmable stainless steel thermal carafe
If you tried Google and couldn't find anything, it's because the "holder" is called a Carafe... not a Beaker. (Unless your coffee tastes like a chemistry experiment )
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I bought one similar to this at Wal-Mart for <$50
Mr. Coffee Black 8 cup programmable stainless steel thermal carafe
If you tried Google and couldn't find anything, it's because the "holder" is called a Carafe... not a Beaker. (Unless your coffee tastes like a chemistry experiment )
We have that coffee maker -- it's great! The machine heats up the water and drips it into an almost unbreakable stainless steel dewar flask (thermos) that keeps the coffee hot for a couple hours. If you're off-grid you can heat the water on your bunsen burner (stove top) and do a hot water extraction to pull the essential oils and compounds out of the ground raw materials (brew coffee), and it tastes great!

Long live

Name:   180px_Caffeine_molecule.gif
Views: 48
Size:  3.7 KB

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
Better living through chemistry...

Puala
Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
We have that coffee maker -- it's great! The machine heats up the water and drips it into an almost unbreakable stainless steel dewar flask (thermos) that keeps the coffee hot for a couple hours. If you're off-grid you can heat the water on your bunsen burner (stove top) and do a hot water extraction to pull the essential oils and compounds out of the ground raw materials (brew coffee), and it tastes great!

Long live
Attachment 10213

--Peter
How do you use the water heated on the stove in the coffee maker? In any coffee maker I've had that would have been a forbidden process.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
How do you use the water heated on the stove in the coffee maker? In any coffee maker I've had that would have been a forbidden process.

Bobbie
You can use the carafe with a cone filter and pour boiling water through it. Bypasses the coffee machine but utilizes the carafe to keep the coffee hot.

How did we go from cargo nets to coffee pots?

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Vivian
Blame Gerry, he put the question in the middle of his posting and I answered it.

BUT, I have the POWER to split it from the original topic
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
It's one of the reasons I like this coffee maker. Many coffee makers one door you open for pouring cold water into the reservoir and a separate door that swings the filter compartment out so you can change the filter. With this coffee maker there's just one door that swings up and out of the way, with an unintended benefit being that, when you are off-grid, you can boil water on your stove and slowly pour hot water into the filter basket from the kettle instead of having the coffee maker heat the water for you.

It does mean you have to be patient: pre-measure the water you're boiling into a kettle, boil the water, then pour the hot water just a little bit at a time into the filter basket so you don't overflow the basket, but this hasn't been a problem. I seem to very patient when morning coffee is concerned.

--Peter
Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Freud had it wrong. It's all about coffee.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Personally I have been shopping around for a French Press Coffee carafe thingy. Just boil the water, add to the glass beaker with coffee already added and push down on the plunger.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We switched recently to using an "old school" aluminum Italian espresso maker for our main camping coffeemaker. It is seriously great. You fill the bottom chamber with water, and heat from any source forces steam through the ground coffee up into the top chamber. If you use a lot of coffee you get espresso, a little bit of coffee gives you a nice smooth cup of good strong brew.

It works equally well over the Scamp's stove, our Coleman camp stove, an electric burner, or a campfire. It's basically indestructible. It's tiny and lightweight, another FGRV plus. The predictability factor is great; you can be pretty certain you'll get a decent cup of coffee, which is more than can be said for the various coffee makers we've purchased over the years. It likes a fairly fine grind, so we just grind up a bunch of beans and store them in a plastic container before we head out. (Gotta get a hand powered grinder one of these days!)

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
(remember that the cup sizes are little espresso cups...)
Matthew Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #12

Registry
I just read an interesting article in Chemical and Engineering News on coffee flavor and aroma. (Unfortunately I can't link to it as it is now available only to subscribers.) Anyway, one thing that researchers have concluded is that the coffee flavor and especially aroma degrades within a few hours of brewing, and as it sits, bitterness also increases. They didn't specifically address sitting in a carafe as opposed to sitting on a hot plate, though, and I wonder if that is as bad for the taste. I have been making a pot and then reheating it for each cup, but after reading this article I may start making each cup fresh.

Bobbie
Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
In my coffee investigation I've gone a number of ways and eventually returned to the percolator.

I had a Mr. Coffee drip machine but had to carry a percolator for rustic camping. Two pieces of equipment.

Tried the coffee press but it was too messy and used too much water for clean up. My grey water capacity is too low to waste it on cleaning the press' filter. I was heating the water to pour into the press in a percolator without the basket in it anyhow.

The Coleman stove top unit is attractive but too much of a space hog for my tastes.

In the end I bought a nice stainless percolator at the local REI (though a Cabelas unit would do the job as well), plus some of those paper filters made for percolators. Keeps the grounds in a toss-able package, keeps the second cup warm and it satisfies my sense of the camping experience.

I think the "cowboys" toss egg shells into the grounds or something but there's a limit... even for me.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
Quote:
I just read an interesting article in Chemical and Engineering News on coffee flavor and aroma. (Unfortunately I can't link to it as it is now available only to subscribers.) Anyway, one thing that researchers have concluded is that the coffee flavor and especially aroma degrades within a few hours of brewing, and as it sits, bitterness also increases. ...

Bobbie
I had a brief stint at Starbucks. The difference in a straight shot of espresso in less than a minute is amazing. So if you have a quick method of creating two shots in a row (with about 30 seconds between), taste the difference. Maybe your local Starbucks will indulge you with that experiment. It's required learning when working there. The key with the drinks is to get the espresso in it's steamed milk quickly then it stabilizes (to a degree).

I refuse to reheat coffee. Plus I'm getting to the point of thinking about ditching the almighty microwave. It mixes up the particles too much. I've read things...

Paula
Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There's a thread in General Chat about coffeemakers. Bialetti, maker of stovetop espresso pots, has come out with the Mukka, a stovetop cappuchino maker where you just put in the water, coffee and milk in separate parts, put it on the LP range and stand back while it produces the finished product! Not inexpensive at $90, however.

For French Presses, I have one of these, Big Sky Bistro Press. Insulated cup to keep the drink warm outside at the picnic table, plus it's good for hot or cold stuf besides coffee.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Plus I'm getting to the point of thinking about ditching the almighty microwave. [b]It mixes up the particles too much. I've read things...
Paula
I think you're confusing it with the transporter.
Beam me up, Scotty...
Old 09-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
You guys just ruined what was to be a good cup of coffee while I red the forums, thanks a bunch.

Really though, we use a "Black and Decker Thermal Select" which brews the coffee from the top and dribbles it into a GLASS carafe,no heat under it. The coffee makers with the glass pot thats heated gets bitter while the burner keeps it warm. We have thought we found that the glass carafe keeps the coffee hot for a couple of hours without radically changing the taste. I think the ones with the stainless steel carafes tend to keep the coffee cooking and turning bitter while keeping it hot at least thats what I thought till you chemical engineers got into the discussion.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
You guys just ruined what was to be a good cup of coffee while I red the forums, thanks a bunch.
Really though, we use a "Black and Decker Thermal Select" which brews the coffee from the top and I think the ones with the stainless steel carafes tend to keep the coffee cooking and turning bitter while keeping it hot at least thats what I thought till you chemical engineers got into the discussion.
Speaking to the aroma of the coffee only, it doesn't matter WHAT you do with it. Within minutes of being brewed the molecules responsible for the odor start to change and the aroma decreases. Hot, cold, canned, makes no difference.

Bitterness primarily develops during roasting. The compounds contributing to bitterness are primarily lactones and phenylindanes. The longer you keep brewed coffee hot, the more the acidit increases, because the lactones turn into free acids. This influences the perceived bitterness.

(Chemist, not Chemical Engineer, but the article is from Chemical & Engineering News.

Bobbie
Old 09-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The reason I don't like microwaved coffee is that it tastes too radary.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #20

Trailer: Beachcomber
yupper's got me one of these coffee brewer's....from doughnut's to sittin in the trailer to coffee....

good topics for this cool fall day.
Attached Thumbnails
mrlcoffeeTFTX85.jpg  
Edmills is offline   Reply With Quote