Cold Cathode and flickering lights - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler
HI Everyone

Have installed a block which has several spots to mount postive wires to and a block for ground wires. Basically I ran a new wire from the tongue battery to these blocks. One wire went to the hot block and one to the ground block. So basically one power into the block gives me 6 spots to connect additional positives and the same with the ground block (hope that makes sense).

So I have the stereo and the lights hooked up to these blocks. I don't have a battery so I'm using a battery charger to supply the power. When I switch on the stereo and lights, the cold cathodes lights flicker.

Any thoughts on why. Is it due to the stereo on the same power supply block as the lights or is it the battery charger I'm using and the flickering will disappear when I use a 12 volt battery

Any thoughts
Cheers

Alastair

Old 05-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
You MIGHT want to invest in a 'regulated' 12V power source instead of relying on a batt. charger for a temp power source. The power supplied is 'clean' and constant whereas a charger isn't, just my 2 pence worth, LOL!!!!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #3

[

Where would you buy one of the regulators and roughly what would they be worth

Al

quote name='Doug Mager' date='May 8 2007, 07:47 PM' post='224810']
You MIGHT want to invest in a 'regulated' 12V power source instead of relying on a batt. charger for a temp power source. The power supplied is 'clean' and constant whereas a charger isn't, just my 2 pence worth, LOL!!!!
[/quote]
Old 05-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #4

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Depending on the charger, a regular auto type charger should not be used to run anything on it's own. It's voltage goes up and down based on the load, and you could be seeing spikes as it goes up, and "Brown Outs" as it is asked to supply more current than it is capable of. Every one I have purchased has a specific warning about doing so.. I ignored it the first time, and quickly destroyed all my 12v lighting in one of my Pop Ups thinking I could run straight, rather than from my battery.

Your cold cathodes actually run on 120v or more, and draw very little current, but it's still an invertor that is actually supplying the bulbs. They are temperamental based on what it going INTO them.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #5

HI Gina

Sounds like it may be my power source then which is great as I was worried about the lights themselves. Hopefully one I buy a deep cycle, I shouldn't have the problems anymore

Cheers
Al

Quote:
Depending on the charger, a regular auto type charger should not be used to run anything on it's own. It's voltage goes up and down based on the load, and you could be seeing spikes as it goes up, and "Brown Outs" as it is asked to supply more current than it is capable of. Every one I have purchased has a specific warning about doing so.. I ignored it the first time, and quickly destroyed all my 12v lighting in one of my Pop Ups thinking I could run straight, rather than from my battery.

Your cold cathodes actually run on 120v or more, and draw very little current, but it's still an invertor that is actually supplying the bulbs. They are temperamental based on what it going INTO them.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:46 AM   #6

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
When you add a batterey to the system your problem could very well go away.
As long as you move the wires from the charger to the battery directly.

The battery should act as a reserve to filter and supply clean power to the loads and hence the flickering should go away.

Again, be sure to connect both the loads and the charger to the battery and I think your problem will be gone.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #7

Excellent

THanks for the advice

Al

When you add a batterey to the system your problem could very well go away.
As long as you move the wires from the charger to the battery directly.

The battery should act as a reserve to filter and supply clean power to the loads and hence the flickering should go away.

Again, be sure to connect both the loads and the charger to the battery and I think your problem will be gone.
[/quote]
Old 05-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I agree that a battery seems like the solution. Even a very small battery could be a very effective filter, and if you are using the charger and battery just as a DC power supply, the charger should probably be in it's "float" mode, supplying a constant moderate voltage, not as high as reached in a normal charging cycle.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, lights