cold under bed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 05:29 AM   #21

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
ok scamper owners underneath our bed it is very cold which in turn filters to the rest of the trailer. there are the two cabinents there but no way to turn the cold back!

I am thinking a tarp hung underneath to cut this cold air off is this the simpliest way but some of you old timers may have a better idea. I keep some stuff under the bed I like to get to easily.

I would like to hear a solution you have came up with?

thanks

bob
:buy either the 1" blue or pink foam as it is condensed thicker to stop air from filtering through and is better insulation material than the white cheap stuff.
Peter
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
still thinkin listening

peter I am thinking s block of that stuff cut to size to block the draft off. I guess cut it to size set it in there and when I want to get stuff out of there just take it out and lay it on the bed.

I am going to try the thick blanket first if that doesn't do it then a foam piece will be in order.

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If your having a draft down there look in the cabinet under the sink. See where the fridge side wall ends as it gets close to the shell in the trailer. On my Scamp the factory put in a piece of fiberglass sheet taped to the side of the fridge to extend the side of the fridge to the wall of the shell to block the draft from the compartment door behind the fridge. I had to re-tape that shield with metal flashing tape to seal it back up.

I also had to re-tape the fiberglass sheet pieces they used for ducting on top of the fridge to the side wall. I had to pull the stove top to get in there to tape it all up.

The aluminium HVAC duct tape is very sticky and designed for heat resistance. it works very well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...7794/100048600
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #24

Missouri
tape

yep I checked and used 100mph silver tape too! there is no heat getting to that area I am not going to worry about heating it no water there but simple convection is moving the cold air to the heated part.

I do have a gas fridge and I can see that cold air being sucked into that part of the camper. I don't run a furnace but there is a vent for that also!

we are going trouting next week and I am going to put my draping theory to work and see.

the nose end is all sealed up with cabinents and I don't see this problem there but it is cold when I open a cabinent door.

bob
Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
peter I am thinking s block of that stuff cut to size to block the draft off. I guess cut it to size set it in there and when I want to get stuff out of there just take it out and lay it on the bed.

I am going to try the thick blanket first if that doesn't do it then a foam piece will be in order.

thanks

bob
Kowtz why not just stick the foam on the floor cut it to size and then put your stuff in on top why do you have to remove it everytime?? Personally the Blue or Pink is much better foam they are more dense and will do a better job at keeping the cold out.
Peter
Old 03-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #26

Missouri
not the floor

its not the floor its a draft problem cold air moving to hot air. I am going to block that space off with a heavy blanket and see it that solves it!

bob
Old 03-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #27

British Columbia
Quote:
its not the floor its a draft problem cold air moving to hot air. I am going to block that space off with a heavy blanket and see it that solves it!

bob
:Bob there is a pliable silver insulation to also stop sound that we use in our old cars that might help better than a blanket, have you tried it yet.
The folks on here will no what I'm talking about as they also use it.
Stude
Old 03-07-2018, 12:02 AM   #28

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
The "Gleeful Glamper" here. I read that you, Bob, want to hang a heavy blanket off the side of the mattress to keep cold air drafts from going up to you in bed. Why not make that a "glamper's" solution by making your hanging fabric decorative such as a "bedskirt". See Linda's solution in her "cowgirl" decor, below. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...g-59509-2.html

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:16 AM   #29

Missouri
cold under bed

gilda I just did this yesterday using a blanket I think its going to work fine. the problem is I get out of bed in that you know 20d stuff and I feel a draft. there are no cracks in the trailer its a convection thing you know hot going to cold or cold going to hot anyway I can feel it thus the blocking off thing.

I thought maybe someone had an even more smplier idea but nothing popped up and I had this idea.

I hope it works we will be on a trouting trip next week to test my theory out!

thanks

bob
Old 03-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have camped in our Casita in temps as low as 17 below zero
The floor gets cold under the bed and everywhere else.
My solution, I wear a pair of wool hunting socks or put my feet next to the dog.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #31

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Ha, ha! I like Steve's response! We all, pretty much, have to face the fact that we are camping and in doing so we still have some of the discomforts therein. As for us, we turn on the heater for a few minutes and we get a pot of water heated up in the morning which warms us and the 13' trailer pretty fast. Unfortunately, if it's really cold, we can't get the butane lighter stick to work so we have to use matches (if the air is not too moist). Ahhhh, the joys of camping!

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #32

Missouri
-17 below

steve I cannot imagine -17 below anywhere let alone a camper. my hats off to you!

I do have to wonder what you did and what happened while being camped out in that sort of temps?

bob
Old 03-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
steve I cannot imagine -17 below anywhere let alone a camper. my hats off to you!

I do have to wonder what you did and what happened while being camped out in that sort of temps?

bob
We were leaving for southern Georgia . When we left home in Wisconsin at 6:30 AM it was 27 below zero , when we got to our first nights stop it was 17 below zero . We didn't purposely choose to leave on a morning that was cold , it just happened.
We lived on Minnesota's, Iron Range for a while . There it would be 20 below for weeks on end, you just learn to adapt .
It's really no different then living in Missouri or the SE USA.
I can not imagine how you live , work and function in that horrendous heat and humidity but you seem to survive.
My wife and I have talked about making a return trip to Missouri and if we do it will be in November when your climate has moderated
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #34

Missouri
wx

we pretty much take our hot wx for granted here. seek out a little shade and things change greatly it may be 100d but hit the shade and I will be in the middle 80s. we don't hit the 90s and 100s until july by the way!

my childhood was spent no a/c at all now we have it in the house 24/7 but when we go camping we have none. the latest fad here is trouting might be setting in the sun with 100d blasting down on us don't really feel it!

I have experienced -10 here but we didn't go out much through that! I guess its all what we get used to but I cannot imagine -27 that is cold!

bob

Tags
scamp