cold under bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cold under bed

ok scamper owners underneath our bed it is very cold which in turn filters to the rest of the trailer. there are the two cabinents there but no way to turn the cold back!

I am thinking a tarp hung underneath to cut this cold air off is this the simpliest way but some of you old timers may have a better idea. I keep some stuff under the bed I like to get to easily.

I would like to hear a solution you have came up with?

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Buy a sheet of 2” foam, cut to fit, and lay on floor.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieboy View Post
Buy a sheet of 2” foam, cut to fit, and lay on floor.
Yep a little insulation. We used that interlocking work out foam as our floor covering which is only a 1/2 inch thick and that made a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00000395.jpg  
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #4

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Is the cold air getting in thru somewhere back there? Like the electric cord port? Or the water filler port? Maybe plug those with something temporary so they are still usable but not so drafty?
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Yup, insulation is the answer, the thicker the better, up to a point. Up to an inch of rigid foam would make a big difference. If it is under constant abuse, consider protecting it with a thin sheet of something light weight. Maybe sheet linoleum? Other ideas?

Consider that spray foam canned insulation to seal leaks. There are varieties that expand a lot and others that don't.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Make your bed as if sleeping on the ground. Have as much or more blanket under you as on top. A good sleeping bag might do the trick.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
What? Scamps don't have a heated underbelly? Go figure....

Those workout foam mat squares look like a good thing for the floor. If cold is also coming from the bench molds, some foam insulation could be glued to the inside with only a minimal loss of storage space.

Hanging a tarp doesn't sound as effective as hanging a thick comforter, doubled over.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Missouri
it is not a bed problem

I have cold air coming under the bed getting into the rest of the camper. yes on insulating the water opening I will do that and the electrical. I want to keep that area easy to get to as I store things under there but I need to shut that area off.

I am going to pull the bed and look under there on the other end there are cabainents and there is no problem.

I am still thinking a piece of material that can be put up across that space to shut the air flow down.

thanks

bob
Old 03-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #9

New York
Insulating floor

I covered my entire floor with 1” foil-faced foam, with a layer of 1/8” thick Celtec (cellular PVC, like Azek) sheet. I didn't want to lose any more ceiling height. But if you just want it under bed, where height is not an issue, use 2” extruded polystyrene.
Attached Thumbnails
1CF658F2-BD4C-490D-BD24-2956F084F837.jpg   AF201B26-62B2-4FB9-ADF9-512921B62E8E.jpg  

BD83A7F5-8520-4F72-A738-493FF38A391D.jpg  
Old 03-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #10

Missouri
good idea

well the 1in piece of foam cut to the opening makes more sense maybe problem resolved. now to find that foam!

bob
Old 03-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #11

New York
Celtec on foam

The 1/8” Celtec is a separate material I cut to cover/protect the foam.

The foam you can get at any Home Depot ir Lowes or your llcal lumber yard. Check for interferences with cabinet doors.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #12

Missouri
got me thunkin

well i am now thinking why not just a blanket slid under the bed hanging down this will fix my problem. this way when i want in under there just flip it up get what i want and drop the blanket back down.

thanks for all the suggestions!!

bob
Old 03-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #13

Name: Marge
Oregon
We just lined our whole floor with interlocking mats that look like bamboo. It's really sharp and the floor is SOOOOO much warmer on the feet! A package of 6 did the trick in our 17' Casita. Sorry about the sideways photos. I've tried flipping them every which way and something seems to have gone haywire with my phone and the way the shots were saved.

We Sell Mats | WeSellMats.com
Attached Thumbnails
Bamboo camper floor.jpg   Bamboo camper floor 2.jpg  

margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
We covered all the floors with those 1/2 inch fatigue mats that you can buy at Home Depot and they lock together and can be cut. Works great
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I just finished up our Lil Snoozy with the Home Depot ones that have a stone look on one side, and wood look on the other........much warmer on the feet now.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:10 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I just finished up our Lil Snoozy with the Home Depot ones that have a stone look on one side, and wood look on the other........much warmer on the feet now.
Dave & Paula
We did ours about 10 years ago and back then the color selection was vivid yellow / blue / green / red or slate gray.... We opted for the gray.
Think the colorful ones were made for Kids play rooms.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:14 AM   #17

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I myself have a different take on this subject. As part of my renovation I make sure that the warm cabin air can get into the cabinets. That way there are no cold spots and the air movement prevents that musty mildew from happening inside the cabinets. It is such a small square footage of area to heat that it makes little impact to close it off and by doing so creating those cold zones.

Insulation of the exterior surfaces is of course important but I want the insides of the cabinet areas to get warmed up rather than thermally isolating them from the interior heat source.

But if you are not convinced to let your cabinets stay warm. And you are getting cold when you sleep that is still an easy problem to solve in just a few minutes time. Put a layer of Reflextic under your mattress or else buy some of the EVA foam mats made to put under sleeping bags when tent camping. Get the ones that have a a reflective coating on one side and put those under your mattress with the reflective side facing up towards you. That will make a huge difference as it will keep the mattress and you nice and toasty by using your own body heat instead of letting that heat transfer down into the cold areas under the bed.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 AM   #18

Missouri
i wish

my problem is a cold draft coming from under the bed you know convenction. I am just gong to hang a blanket under the bed as a drop to cover the cavity under the bed thus stopping the draft.

in 18d and 20d wx anything will help keep stevie warmer! we kept our carpet and the floor is not cold with the exception of cold air moving around that cannot be heated due to the area!

bob
Old 03-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
We use to store all of our luggage under until the current dog heater decided that's a good place for her to sleep and keep out from under our feet.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #20

Missouri
extra heat

we have a dog heater we tried making her sleep on the futon you never heard such crying as she did!

needless to say after 10ms of that back on the bed a kid couldn't have been any worse!

bob

Tags
scamp