Coleman Black Cat Placement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2002, 09:44 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Coleman Black Cat Placement

A related winter camping thread has inspired plans for some cold weather camping. I've done some research (much provided by some nice folks from this forum) and will purchase a Black Cat heater. (We plan a trip to RMNP in May and need something that will work at higher altitudes as well). I have a couple of questions.

Because the heater is supposed to be kept about 2 feet away from any surfaces, where would it go in a 16 foot Spirit Deluxe?

My understanding is that the heater must be lit outside. Is this correct? (I had envisioned being able to roll over first thing in the morning and switch it on, remaining in a toasty bed until the trailer was nice and warm). :L

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:16 AM   #2

Kim

Kim ...

Hot air rises.

So the lower the better.

We place our electric ceramic cube heater on the floor in front of the closet. (I know, you didn't ask about the electric heater, but as I said, I really recommend having electricity for January campouts!)

It's a different story with the little propane heaters, however.

The Black Cat doesn't have a tip-over protection built in, like the Mr. Heater Buddy ... so if your dog, kid or husband on a late night potty break might tip it over (because it would keep burning in a tipped over position!), you want to keep the heater in the open sink.

The Black Cat is a true catalytic heater ... and burns a lower temperature than the Buddy heater.

Coleman's two-foot recomendation is to prevent items from melting from contact with the head ... not materials starting fire.

The Mr. Heater Buddy burns hotter, and produces more heat (but as you know, doesn't burn reliably at altitude)(which is why we own one of each, now!).

I also always lite either one outside the trailer ... due to an very realistic fear that a broken seal or small propane leak might cause an explosion or fire! Much easier to drop it and run away outside than it would be inside your trailer!

I've always been worried about our dog's tail swishing into it, anywhere on the floor of the trailer, so again, we usually keep the Mr. Buddy in the open sink.

If you don't have a dog, or a husband who's prone to tipping things over (like me), you could put in on the bathroom floor.

Remember to ventilate your trailer, by keeping the bathroom window cracked and the top vent on the trailer open, no matter which heater you use ... or where you use it!

Old 10-22-2002, 04:21 PM   #3

Excellent Advice

The above is excellent advice, esp about a dog's tail. You could also bungee it down to some thing heavy with a wider base than the triangle of the BC if you really want it down on the floor.

Pete and Rats

Old 10-22-2002, 06:27 PM   #4

Coleman Black Cat

Kim,

I don't have experience with the Coleman Black Cat but I do with the Pelonis Disc Furnace. We bought one at a General Store while on vacation at Charlemont, Mass. on the 12th of October. I fell in love with this little heater and couldn't be happier. We decided on this particular heater (electric) because of the recommendations that it received from other Casita owners that have been using them for years while winter camping.

You can look it up on the following web site http://www.pelonis.com

The model we have is the PF1212-B6A1. You can read all the stats there on line. I don't know the cost other places but we paid $75.99 plus tax for ours. It may be cheaper elsewhere but we didn't have time to search out other places so we bought this one.

What do I love about it?

1. Small & light weight
2. Electric
3. Instant Heat (and plenty of it as it will blow you out of the Casita in no time)
4. Safe (automatic shut off if it is tilted)
5. Can sit on the carpet as the sides and bottom do not get hot.
6. Thermostat so that you can adjust it and it will automatically adjust the tempature according to the room temp.
7. You can leave it on all night and it is so quiet that it will not disturb your sleep.
8. You don't have to worry about it catching anything on fire because it shuts off as soon as it is tilted.

Our 17" Spirit Deluxe has the Automatic lite Thermostat Gas Furnace and it works wonderful turning on and off on its own and it delivers wonderful heat, however why use all your gas when you are paying for electricity anyway. I highly recommend the Pelonis for electric heat.

Happy choices.

Sara

P.S. Like Charles says heat rises so I place my little furnace on the floor either under the small side dinning table or between the bathroom and the front door near the closet directed toward the dinning area and it keeps your feet and the floor where you need it toasty.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:14 PM   #5

Pete says:

"The above is excellent advice, esp about a dog's tail. You could also bungee it down ....."
======

Gee whiz Pete, my dog's not gonna like that.;)

======
Just kidding, it's cold, wet and grey outside, time for a smile.

Old 10-30-2002, 10:21 PM   #6

Hey Don, I'd bet your dog would prefer the bungee treatment to the tail-docking treatment ;)

Pete and Rats who hang tails out to get cool and sleep on them to stay warm