Coleman Powermate 1850 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
Has anyone had any experience with the Coleman Powermate 1850 generator. I have been considering getting a small generator and the price seems quite reasonable for these.
Thanks
Steve
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Steve....I had one and it worked quite nicely, BUT, it was a lot louder than I thought it would be....I frequently did NOT use it because I didn't want to disturb anyone or anyTHING...I bought 2 Honda eu1000 generators....running both of them at once was not as loud as the Coleman. I now have an eu2000, with which I am very satisified. One word of caution....I found out the hard way that the Honda generators do NOT like regular gasoline. Mine siezed up and the dealer told me it was because I'd been using regular gasoline rather than hi test. Honda didn't come right out and say he was right but they DID cover the repair and tell me I should PROBABLY use higher octane gasoline...

Russell
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Steven F,
Noise is an enormous consideration in a campground. It's just about the most effective way to adversely affect your neighbors. The impact of the noise has resulted in many campgrounds limiting the hours during which a generator may be used.
If you enjoy boondocking so you might see some wildlife, an operating generator will guarantee failure of the visual pursuits. Even the extra quiet Yamaha and Honda products may chase away the critters.
I seriously doubt that you will be happy with the Coleman unit. The price is "reasonable" for a reason. On a noisy construction site who cares, but in a campground where most people value quiet, do you really want to be considered as a potential victim of a tar & feather vigilante group?
Christmas is almost here, spread the word that you are soliciting donations towards a quiet power supply, if it's a tool you really "just gotta" have.
Thanks for having the wisdom to seek advice,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
I found out the hard way that the Honda generators do NOT like regular gasoline. Mine seized up and the dealer told me it was because I'd been using regular gasoline rather than hi test. Honda didn't come right out and say he was right but they DID cover the repair and tell me I should PROBABLY use higher octane gasoline...

Russell
[/quote]

How long did you use it before it locked up? I have a eu2000 as well and have not had a problem with it. pg 31 of owners book indicates 86 or higher is what you use. The next page has info on gas with additives
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:16 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Colemans work good BUT the noise level is totally out of place.I have seen and heard them used and the complaints after from other campers.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 75 Boler 13 ft
Regarding Honda engines & Hi-octane fuel, we have been running a dozen or so contractor's pumps, welders and generators ALL with Honda engines from 4 to 21hp for the last 15 years. We use ONLY Hi-octane fuel in them. Also, a local tool and equipment rental business will not let you use regular octane fuel in their Honda powered equipment. They told us that Honda will not cover repairs if they suspect regular octane fuel was used.
Just my observation.
Norm Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Quote:
Regarding Honda engines & Hi-octane fuel, we have been running a dozen or so contractor's pumps, welders and generators ALL with Honda engines from 4 to 21hp for the last 15 years. We use ONLY Hi-octane fuel in them. Also, a local tool and equipment rental business will not let you use regular octane fuel in their Honda powered equipment. They told us that Honda will not cover repairs if they suspect regular octane fuel was used.
Just my observation.
Having used Honda products I found that they ran much better with Hi Octane, My outboard motor would not hardly run on regular, Cain saws as well run much better. Iwas logging when lead was fazed out and That is when we had to switch to hi Octane. I suspect is the octane boosters that are the problem
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote