Color! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Beautiful! 'Very "50's ish". 'Can hardly wait to see them finished! Have you thought of embellishing the curtains with ric-rac or eyelt lace?

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #16

California
Registry
"eyelet"

Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #17

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Finally finished up the fronts to all eight of my patchwork curtain panels around midnight last night using my mom's old sewing machine that's older than I am. First timing sewing since I was 15! Feeling confident and thinking about saving $250 and doing the upholstery work myself
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #18

California
Registry
Congratulations! You are on a roll! 'Funny how one project can give one the confidence to do another! Covering the cushions is not a difficult task but it is bulky and will take time. If you are using upholstery fabric (which is rugged and will hold up to stress) you will most likely need a heavy-duty sewing machine. If you do not have one you could do all the prep work, hand-baste the seams with heavy thread and a heavy-duty upholstery needle (be sure to use a thimble) and take it to a cleaners that does alterations. Cleaners almost always have heavy duty machines.

Note: You will need more fabric if you have a plaid or a large repeating pattern. If the fabric is solid you do not need to allow for extra fabric.

• To make the cushion covers look at and use the original cover as the pattern or make a paper pattern from the original.
  • A roll of brown craft paper could work well for pattern paper.It's often sold for wrapping packages for shipping. Your butcher may give you butcher paper for this purpose.
  • I suggest that you NOT cut the fabric to size but place the foam (cut to size) on top of the fabric (wrong side outward), cut it 1" or more bigger than the foam.
  • Put cleaner's plastic around the foam so as to make removal of the finished cover easier.
  • Cut 2 narrow strips in which to sew the zipper.
  • Cut a strip for the sides 2" wider than the width.
  • Sew together the zippered pieces to the long side strip.
  • Pin (Use heavy-duty pins. "T" pins would work well.) the strip all around the bottom edge facing the zipper inward. (wrong side outward)
  • Baste in place.
  • Place upper fabric on top (wrong side outward) and pin that to the strip piece.
  • Baste in place.
  • Take out the foam.
  • Sew all seams.
  • Trim with scissors.
  • Turn right side out with foam (covered with cleaners plastic) inside.
  • Enjoy your new custom seat covers!
Note: There are videos and instructions as to how to easily "stuff" cut foam pieces into finished seat covers. You use plastic and a vacuum cleaner hose. Perhaps someone in this forum can re-post those. Meantime, I'll search for them.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #19

California
Registry
Here's an easy "wrap and staple" method. Personally, I prefer the "box edge" method I posted earlier.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #20

California
Registry
Oops, here it is:
How to make easy vintage trailer dinette cushions
Old 07-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #21

California
Registry
Thank goodness for Pinterest...
Glamper - Cushions
So many wonderful options! Take your pick.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #22

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
I'm so excited to see the finished product. In the late winter, I bought some "bark cloth" for our curtains and some retro cupboard pulls for inside (star bursts) but have yet to do anything with them. I'd be really interested to see different versions of "the curtains". I was thinking of putting some big "loops" on the back (made out of fabric) so when they are opened, they pleat nicely. Are there any thoughts? Is there a thread for curtains?

Good luck and happy sewing -- you've inspired me to steal a sewing machine from my mom and get to it!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #23

California
Registry
You could also opt not to put in a zipper and simply sew the open edge (where you insert the foam) closed. See partial instructions from E-How.
<li class="step "> 4 Pin your fabric pieces together with the right sides facing each other. Sew three seams closed, allowing the fourth one to remain open. This will be the seam that the foam cushion will be inserted through.

<li class="step "> 5 Insert the foam cushion into the fabric cushion covering. Turn the raw edge of the seam toward the inside and pin together. Sew this last seam closed. Trim off any loose strands of thread. Repeat these steps until all the camper cushions have been completed. Place your new cushions in your camper.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #24

California
Registry
Steve and Rosemary,
Once again, check out Pinterest for inspiration! There is no end to wonderful ideas. Curtains to make
Personally, I like the look of the translucent off-white curtains that came with our new trailer flanked by custom print panels. (see photos) The white fabric is a manually operated black-out shade. It's difficult to take back-lit photos. 'Hope this gives you a "snapshot".
Attached Thumbnails
021.jpg   012.jpg  

019.jpg  
Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #25

Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Utah
Oh, wow! Thanks for posting that. When we bought our trailer, the owners had just made their own curtains that were, in my opinion, not done very nicely. They were made out of this green canvas with white plastic on the back for black out (which we appreciate). Then they were just zig-zagged along all four of the edges, one edge was folded down and zig-zaged again for the loop for the rod. Needless to say, we've never seen what was in the trailer originally. I like the idea of the four panels so some light can come through although I bought so much of this beautiful fabric that I'm inclined to use as much of it as I can.

Thanks for the pics and off to pinterest for me!