Comfortable two-seat dinettes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm thinking of configuring my trailer with one side a cot-sized bed and the other a two-person dinette that would convert to a bed when needed. My question is, first, do you have a comfortable two-person dinette in your trailer? And if so, what are the dimensions of the seats?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
The Casita Spirit has a two person dinette, Bobbie. Maybe the Casita website gives dimensions, or someone here can measure for you...
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Bobbie,

Casita, Scamp, and Burro all make (made) a two-person dinette. I've not had a Casita, but I can tell you that while the Scamp and Burro's dinettes are serviceable, comfort isn't part of the picture.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
No matter what brand, none of them are all that comfortable.

This goes for the four person dinette as well. The reason is the cushions that are used for the back rest, are too perpendicular. They need to be angled then they would be more comfortable. Lots of folks I know use a round bolster between the wall and cushion which causes the cushion to tilt the top slightly.

Casita offers captain chairs which are comfortable but they take up too much room in these small trailers.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Casita offers captain chairs which are comfortable but they take up too much room in these small trailers.
And we have a member who's got some for sale here: Casita Freedom Captain's Chairs and Table for Sale, Modifying from Freedom to Spirit floorplan
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Casita side dinette measurements:

Seats: 24" x 24"
Table: 24" x 26"

While I agree that they aren't the most comfortable, I had mine as a sofa for a while, and went back to the dinette. It is actually more versatile and comfortable for me in that configuration. I have small throw pillows that I use behind my back which helps with the angle.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #7

Is the wheel well going to interfer with where the feet go for the dinette? I know Scamp's side dinette has a "step up" for setting...which causes taller folks to need to bend their heads down to look out the window! We have one member who actually sold their Scamp because of the crick-in-the-neck problem....
Old 06-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Is the wheel well going to interfer with where the feet go for the dinette?
In the Campster, the wheel well is forward of where I want the opening for feet.

The only problem I see with a wedge cushion for the back is that it won't lie flat when I want to make it into a bed. I'm not sure how important comfort is- comfortable enough to sit and eat an occasional meal, I would not expect to be able to work there for hours. But I don't want a backache after one meal, or there is no point having the dinette at all.

Bobbie
Old 06-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Bobbie, I sit in mine all the time. Sometimes I scootch down and put my feet up on the other side (like when I'm reading). Often times I pull my back cushion out at the bottom, other times I use a small throw pillow in the small of my back. There are many options. If your clever enough to make the dinette, you can figure a way to make it comfortable for you. As I said in the above post, I had mine as a sofa for a while thinking it would be better. Not for me. I've gone back to the dinette and plan on leaving it that way. Perhaps the fact that I am 5'7" makes it just about right for me.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Bobbie, I sit in mine all the time. Sometimes I scootch down and put my feet up on the other side (like when I'm reading). Often times I pull my back cushion out at the bottom, other times I use a small throw pillow in the small of my back. There are many options. If your clever enough to make the dinette, you can figure a way to make it comfortable for you.
I don't think doing it will be any problem- it is just a matter of cutting a section out of the existing gaucho box, and putting a table there. I need to add about 6 inches to the box on the other side to make it hold a cot mattress, then cut a board to fit between that and the dinette side when I want to convert to a bed. The area is 72 inches long by 68 wide, so if I have a 30 inch bed on one side, and a 24 inch seat on the other, the aisle is still 14 inches wide.

I would just like to decide if I want one before I do any cutting!

Bobbie
Old 06-29-2007, 07:51 AM   #11

Quote:
The area is 72 inches long by 68 wide, so if I have a 30 inch bed on one side, and a 24 inch seat on the other, the aisle is still 14 inches wide.
Gosh that aisle way seems pretty narrow to me.

I'd get some masking tape and tape out the entire pattern of what you're trying to accomplish to a deck/patio or maybe a garage floor. That would tell you what the "foot print" would be like.

Personally, I don't think I'd like something where I couldn't even really turn around. But that's just me.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #12

Registry
The 14 inches is assuming 24 inch wide seats. So I could cut down seat width and widen the aisle, but that great increases the amount of carpentry involved. Laying it out is a good idea.

Bobbie