Compact 2 ( Hunter ) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #1

Name: Pepp
Trailer: SCAMP
Florida
Compact 2 ( Hunter )

Hi,
I'm new to the site and new to Fiberglass Campers.
I've had many Travel Trailers in the past including a
Pop-Up.. Been out of the Camping game for awhile now
and considering going with a Fiberglass unit.. I seen this
"Compact 2 by Hunter" for sale locally. I'm asking for
opinions, suggestions and links to sites where I may purchase
parts and accessories for this unit. I'm also looking for any
information pertaining to this unit. Interior photos and maybe
by looking at the photos, someone can tell some Pros & Cons on
this particular camper. I haven't seen it in person yet. I get back
home to FL tomorrow ( Saturday ) evening, then I'll make arrangements
to go see it.. I know it's going to need some restoring but for the asking
price, I think it will be worth it.. Besides, the body work and a complete
paint job wont cost me.. My son is in the Body Shop business... Now I hope
I can download some photos and hear from some of you soon. Thanks in
Advance, Joe
Attached Thumbnails
000 70s Hunter Compact 11 Camper 3.jpg   000 70s Hunter Compact 11 Camper 6.jpg  

000 70s Hunter Compact 11 Camper 7.jpg   000 70s Hunter Compact 11 Camper 5.jpg  

000 70s Hunter Compact 11 Camper 2.jpg   000 70s Hunter Compact 11 Camper 1.jpg  

Pepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Compact II

Hi Joe,
Your Hunter looks like it could use some TLC and there was probably some interior moisture issues judging by the rusty bolts and metal on the lift mechanism. My trailer had water damage to the wood flooring and behind the quilted fabric wall covering. There was a lot of refurbishing needed as a result. Here is a link to the renovation I did. Ripping out the cabinetry wasn't totally necessary as the floor damage was limited to the bathroom and the front corner, but I was looking to do a complete makeover.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ted-37570.html

Hope this helps. The Hunter Compact II is a great trailer. If the price is right, go for it!

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks Fran,
I haven't seen this camper in person yet. When I do I will shoot allot of good
photos of it and determine whether or not it's worth a restoration.. From what you seen of it so far, do you think it's worth $700.00 ? That's what I can get it for.. And
the seller even has a Title for it. I would imagine I can buy it and Flip it just the way
it is without putting any kind of real money into it and just continue shopping.. What is that material that's on the interior walls & ceiling made of and can it easily be removed for cleaning or replacing ??
Old 01-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Definitely worth it. Go for it.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The walls are vinyl and can be cleaned. I don't recommend removing you don't want to go there.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepp View Post
Thanks Fran,
I haven't seen this camper in person yet. When I do I will shoot allot of good
photos of it and determine whether or not it's worth a restoration.. From what you seen of it so far, do you think it's worth $700.00 ? That's what I can get it for.. And
the seller even has a Title for it. I would imagine I can buy it and Flip it just the way
it is without putting any kind of real money into it and just continue shopping.. What is that material that's on the interior walls & ceiling made of and can it easily be removed for cleaning or replacing ??
Hi Joe,
$700 is a great price. I paid $800. Yes, you could flip it, you're right.
The material is a foam-backed vinyl. Mold grew behind mine so I removed it. That was a messy job; lots of scraping with a wide, sharp blade. Then I primed and attached new material, which was difficult. Some other owners have just cleaned the fabric with basically a bleach and detergent mix. Go for it!
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Another vote go for it 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #8

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We paid a whole lot more for a clean one
That looks like a steal if you have time and elbow grease to spare

Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
If I were a decade or two younger I'd snap it up at that price, even having to drive all the way to Florida, provided it is still road worthy. I say go for it.

Walt
Old 01-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Junior
Saskatchewan
go for it!

I restored a CJ Hunter last year. The trick is to plan to be conservative in your restoration - don't be too ambitious your first time over. As I see it there are some priorities in restoring. They are 1.Road worthiness (frame and axles) 2.Storm prepped (windows resealed, any holes plugged, gutters above entry ways) 3. Storage (cupboards, bed storage, and accessibility)

The fancy things can come later........good luck, have fun, do it for the love and pride of doing it not for financial gain!!!
jish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
And if you do grab this and restore/fix it up be sure and post pics
Looks like a great little trailer

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Not mentioned yet but definitely be sure to check that the bolts attaching the body to the frame are solid , probably best to just replace them. If there is evidence of rust everywhere , and since this is in Florida there probably is , might be advisable to run a couple of straps over side to side ( front and back ) to be sure she gets home without flying off of the frame. I know it sounds like overkill but some of our fiberglass trailers with rusted attachment bolts have actually come off the frame as the trailer was going down the road. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #13

Florida
1974 Campact 2 ( HUNTER )

Ok Folks,
First I want to Thank all those who responded with their
thoughts and ideas.. I finally got to see this Camper in person yesterday.. I knew exactly what to look for, took my time and a some photos... The young man who's selling it was very nice and was Not insulted at all of any of my concerns and understood that I was being totally honest...
He actually appreciated my honesty because he really knew nothing about what would be involved in getting this thing in Safe traveling & camping condition... Well, turns out it's a 1974 with a Clean FL title and that it's the Compact 2 model and the Fiberglass was in pretty good shape.. That's the Good News.. It's also totally Original and I really loved the way it was laid out.. I liked the size and weight of it and the fact that it had a built in Stove/Oven, 3 way Fridge, Heating Furnace, Hot & Cold water built in sink and Toilet.. and The bed part was way large enough for two adults.. Now the Bad News... This Camper needs Total Restoration.. The plywood subfloor was rotted 3/4'rs of the way through, every thing inside that was attached to the floor was rotted at the bottoms, Underneath ( Outside ) the flooring was pretty solid but it would still need to be totally ripped out and replaced.. All the cabinets would have to be removed and replaced, all the thermocouples were rust frozen to the gas lines attached
and knobs couldn't turn to turn on gas pilots, couldn't tell if any of the appliances would work or not, the cushions were gone, the Pop-Top canvas needs to be replaced along with some glass and outside vents.. The frame had surface rust but seemed towable and not sure what condition the wheel bearings were in.. Oh, It also needs a new entry door. It has one, but it's in bad shape ( Not Repairable )..
Too much work for my situation being I don't have the means or space to do it correct.. So, if there's anyone out there that would be interested in getting their hands on this and has the means ( Work area, Time & Money ) to do it up or in need of a "Parts Trailer" , this would be a Great opportunity for you.. The original asking price was a $1000.00 or Best offer.. I figured I could get it for maybe $700.00.. When the seller asked me what I thought it would be worth AS Is, I told him "Maybe" $300.00.. He said he would take it.. He'd probably take even less just to get rid of it because he knows nothing about it and just wants off his property.. I considered buying it at that point just to re-sell it but for me, even that would've been too much trouble... Again I don't have the means to store it and wait till it's sold.. It's Located in Davie, Florida.. If anyone is interested, Let me know and I'll pass along the phone number... I thanked him for his time and giving me the opportunity to look at it... I'm posting some photos that I took myself to get a better idea of the condition it's in... He told me he doesn't have a problem if I passed this along so here goes...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03319.jpg   DSC03318.jpg  

DSC03317.jpg   DSC03316.jpg  

DSC03310.jpg   DSC03311.jpg  

DSC03312.jpg   DSC03325.jpg  

DSC03313.jpg   DSC03322.jpg