Compact Jr - Aluminum Door sill/frame source? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr (Super modified)
Smile

When I was working on my Compact Jr, someone took off with my stove I had sitting out. They also took the section of aluminum door sill/frame extrusion that I had sitting on top of the stove! In the picture below, to can see the missing section where the plywood floor is.

Does anyone know if this stuff is still made and where I can purchase it? I'd even appreciate a source with used sections if new is not possible.

If I can't find a source, I may have to have something custom made by welding sections of aluminum angle, or might even require having an entire door and frame manufactured!

Click image for larger version

Name:	25small.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	23542
bgeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

[quote]When I was working on my Compact Jr, someone took off with my stove I had sitting out. They also took the section of aluminum door sill/frame extrusion that I had sitting on top of the stove! In the picture below, to can see the missing section where the plywood floor is.

Does anyone know if this stuff is still made and where I can purchase it? I'd even appreciate a source with used sections if new is not possible.

If I can't find a source, I may have to have something custom made by welding sections of aluminum angle, or might even require having an entire door and frame manufactured!

Attachment 23542

Hmmm- I think that you will find that the door sill is the same as what was used in the 70's on mobile homes. The back door, not the front door. As for the stove, start haunting wrecking yards and looking for derelict campers. (you might find a compatible door sill also) Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Hmmm- I think that you will find that the door sill is the same as what was used in the 70's on mobile homes. The back door, not the front door. As for the stove, start haunting wrecking yards and looking for derelict campers. (you might find a compatible door sill also) Larry
Good hint. The more I think about it, I'd almost rather have a custom sill welded up. I think the the existing sill/extrusion is really too light. All the corners are cracked, and they had placed L-brackets in order to help. I think some nice 1/8" or 3/16" stock would hold up much better. (talking myself into it.)

What I liked about the stove I had was it was the only model I've seen with 4 stove burners on it. Everything I've seen otherwise has only three burners. I'm now thinking just go with a stovetop with microwave underneath. Haven't decided yet.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Brent,
Sorry to hear about your loss, it's amazing what people will steal nowadays! Hope things work out nicely for you as far as finding replacement items.
I just wanted to toss in my two cents here. My stove is only a 3 burner. Personally, I can't imagine having all the burners on a stove in one of our little rigs, 3 burner or 4 burner, all going at once! hehe You'd have to be doing some MAJOR cooking, and I think you would literally cook yourself out of the trailer with all the heat you'd be creating! hehe I know that I find just having one burner on often heats up the inside of the trailer quite nicely on a chilly day/evening, so if it were hot out I think I'd be dying! hehe So I don't know that it's totally the end of the world if you have to downgrade to a 3 burner stovetop vs the four...
Just my two cents... Again, hope everything works out bro!

Joe

PS
Still, a big BOOOO HISS to the awful people that stole your parts! It's amazing, the rotten people that are out there in this world...
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #5

I could live with the three burner replacement, I just thought four burners it was a cool unique feature. Plus it was in practically like-new condition. I'm wondering if I even really need a stove vs. a microwave.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #6

Anyone wanting to replace the sill/frame on a compact Jr/II can get some 1"x1.5" architectural (sharp edged) aluminum angle and 1"x1" architectural aluminum angle. Weld them together, and it matches the profile of the existing extrusion almost exactly (within 1/8"). Use 1/8 thick stuff, and have a frame much more durable than the original part.