Compact Jr and a deep cycle battery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

Name: Kath
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Compact Jr and a deep cycle battery

Any Compact Jr's out there using a deep cycle battery inside the trailer? We are getting ready to wire and Know nothing of this process. If you have pictures of where and how you wired the battery I would be so greatful.

Any do's and don'ts
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
What ever you do make sure the battery regardless of type is well vented!!! No matter what you may read here or elsewhere about some not needing venting always read the battery manufactures actual instructions regarding venting.

You may want to read this Gel vs AGM vs Wet Cell Batteries.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I installed the battery in my Compact-II under the left dinette seat and added two flat battery vents on the outside. I have it on a 3 stage /convertercharger 24/7 and have never had the slightest sniff of odor.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1888.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	82630My dinette benches and table.

Name:	000_1875.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	82631Another view from the entry door.

Name:	000_1880.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	82632Underneath the benches.

Under the right bench is the White vented battery box. One vent draws air in the bottom through a hole in the floor. The other vent exhausts air out through the hose in the top that is connected to a vent port in the right wheel well. The 2 halves of the box are bolted together using a gasket to seal the battery's "air" inside the box and vents, isolating it from the cabin.

The box's place in the electrical system in my trailer goes something like this:
  1. The Shore Power (110 volt AC) cord is connected to
  2. The 110 volt 15 amp Circuit Breaker in the breaker box under the sink. It feeds
  3. A GFCI protected outlet next to the breaker box. The "Load" terminals of the GFCI outlet feed
  4. 2 more 110 volt AC outlets wired in series which GFCI protects all 3 outlets in the 110 volt circuit.
  5. Plugged into one of the 110 volt outlets is the power cord for the Progressive Dynamics PD-9130 Converter/Charger that has the Charge Wizzard installed.
  6. The 110 volt AC source is converted into a 12 volt DC output.
  7. The 12 volt DC output from the Converter is connected to the Positive and Negative terminals of my Group 127 wet cell 12 volt battery inside the White vented battery box.
  8. Also connected to the positive and negative battery terminals are the 12 guage, 12 volt DC wires that feed
  9. The 12 volt DC, 4 circuit Fuse & Switch panel.
    • 1st fused circuit feeds interior lights
    • 2nd fused circuit feeds exterior lights
    • 3rd fused circuit feeds a 12 volt DC outlet (for the "Endless Breeze" fantastic Fan)
    • 4th fused circuit feeds the water pump
Old 04-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #5

California
Big Thank You to everyone! The pictures and details have helped a lot! This may make the difference on hitting the road next month with or without a battery. If we have anymore questions I know where to get help thank you, thank you
Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Forgot to mention... I also fitted a group 27 battery box on the tongue, between the front of the trailer and the LP tank for a second battery. This is a great location if one is concerned about inside fumes.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #7

California
We did not think that far ahead when having the trailer welded now we only have room for the LP tank and spare tire

Tags
battery