Compact Jr Fresh water tank location? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Storm
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Posts: 5
Compact Jr Fresh water tank location?

Hello,

Recently bought a 1972 Compact Junior that was missing the fresh water tank. I purchased a 15 gallon tank that I'd like to locate in the storage area under the seat against the outside wall. This placement will put it directly over the fiberglass undershell of the trailer and it will not rest on the wood sheet section that supports the floor. Is this fiberglass section strong enough to hold the weight of a full water tank? If not, any suggestions on adding support?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
__________________

__________________
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Linda of San Diego's Avatar
 
Name: LINDA
Trailer: Hunter 1 / Jeep Liberty
California
Posts: 114
Registry
water tank in Hunter

Storm,
My fresh water tank is located in the front bench, on the drivers side right under the water intake fill. The tank sits on 1/2 the fiberglass bottom and 1/2 on the wood subfloor.

I hope this helps.


Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Hello,

Recently bought a 1972 Compact Junior that was missing the fresh water tank. I purchased a 15 gallon tank that I'd like to locate in the storage area under the seat against the outside wall. This placement will put it directly over the fiberglass undershell of the trailer and it will not rest on the wood sheet section that supports the floor. Is this fiberglass section strong enough to hold the weight of a full water tank? If not, any suggestions on adding support?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
__________________

__________________
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Gary
Trailer: Compact
Oregon
Posts: 1
Hey Storm I just put a water tank 15 gal tank in my Compact up in the front under the drivers bench by the tounge my tank is 24"x16"x8" and full weights around 120lbs + the lip for that 24" length would not support that weight if you were to hit some bumpy roads and over time I am sure would crack and break. Now I don't know what your tank looks like but if it lets say 6x6x50" or something like that then you could use the lip cause you would be spreading out that weight over more area. Part two of a plan would be to weld a brace on the frame to support the area under where the tank would sit and drill a hole or two into the angle iron where it would be supporting your glass lip. All food for thought I might add that there are angle iron braces welded on the frame of my trailer supporting the wood flooring where where the tank sits.

Hope This Helps,
Gary
__________________
Gary Compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Name: Storm
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Posts: 5
Thank you

Thank you for your suggestion. I have a similar demensioned tank and have located near the front as yours is. Half of the tank is located on the wood section and half on the fiberglass. I place a one inch thick board the length between the wheel well and front of the trailer over the fiberglass and under the tank. I hope that this will provide some additional support. I filled the tank only half full while traveling and the trailer survived this weight on our first trip. I would have left the tank empty, but find the additional weight in the trailer makes it ride more stable. Again, thank you for your suggestion.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Compact View Post
Hey Storm I just put a water tank 15 gal tank in my Compact up in the front under the drivers bench by the tounge my tank is 24"x16"x8" and full weights around 120lbs + the lip for that 24" length would not support that weight if you were to hit some bumpy roads and over time I am sure would crack and break. Now I don't know what your tank looks like but if it lets say 6x6x50" or something like that then you could use the lip cause you would be spreading out that weight over more area. Part two of a plan would be to weld a brace on the frame to support the area under where the tank would sit and drill a hole or two into the angle iron where it would be supporting your glass lip. All food for thought I might add that there are angle iron braces welded on the frame of my trailer supporting the wood flooring where where the tank sits.

Hope This Helps,
Gary
__________________
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Name: Storm
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Posts: 5
Thank you

Linda,

Thank you for your response. We just took our trailer out on two week camping trip up the coast of California and the trailer and the water tank held up well.

Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda of San Diego View Post
Storm,
My fresh water tank is located in the front bench, on the drivers side right under the water intake fill. The tank sits on 1/2 the fiberglass bottom and 1/2 on the wood subfloor.

I hope this helps.


Linda
__________________
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auxiliary Fresh Water Tank, Transferring Water Adrian W General Chat 0 09-05-2010 03:36 PM
Water tank location? BrendaD Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 14 05-07-2009 06:04 PM
Trouble adding water to a fresh water tank Dan Tracy Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 05-05-2008 09:11 PM
Fresh Water Tank Information/Help Legacy Posts Modifications, Alterations and Updates 5 07-24-2003 12:10 AM
2nd Fresh Water Tank Christi V. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.