Compact Jr Fresh water tank location? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #1

Name: Storm
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Compact Jr Fresh water tank location?

Hello,

Recently bought a 1972 Compact Junior that was missing the fresh water tank. I purchased a 15 gallon tank that I'd like to locate in the storage area under the seat against the outside wall. This placement will put it directly over the fiberglass undershell of the trailer and it will not rest on the wood sheet section that supports the floor. Is this fiberglass section strong enough to hold the weight of a full water tank? If not, any suggestions on adding support?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
water tank in Hunter

Storm,
My fresh water tank is located in the front bench, on the drivers side right under the water intake fill. The tank sits on 1/2 the fiberglass bottom and 1/2 on the wood subfloor.

I hope this helps.

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Hello,

Recently bought a 1972 Compact Junior that was missing the fresh water tank. I purchased a 15 gallon tank that I'd like to locate in the storage area under the seat against the outside wall. This placement will put it directly over the fiberglass undershell of the trailer and it will not rest on the wood sheet section that supports the floor. Is this fiberglass section strong enough to hold the weight of a full water tank? If not, any suggestions on adding support?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #3

Name: Gary
Trailer: Compact
Oregon
Hey Storm I just put a water tank 15 gal tank in my Compact up in the front under the drivers bench by the tounge my tank is 24"x16"x8" and full weights around 120lbs + the lip for that 24" length would not support that weight if you were to hit some bumpy roads and over time I am sure would crack and break. Now I don't know what your tank looks like but if it lets say 6x6x50" or something like that then you could use the lip cause you would be spreading out that weight over more area. Part two of a plan would be to weld a brace on the frame to support the area under where the tank would sit and drill a hole or two into the angle iron where it would be supporting your glass lip. All food for thought I might add that there are angle iron braces welded on the frame of my trailer supporting the wood flooring where where the tank sits.

Hope This Helps,
Gary
Gary Compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #4

California
Thank you

Thank you for your suggestion. I have a similar demensioned tank and have located near the front as yours is. Half of the tank is located on the wood section and half on the fiberglass. I place a one inch thick board the length between the wheel well and front of the trailer over the fiberglass and under the tank. I hope that this will provide some additional support. I filled the tank only half full while traveling and the trailer survived this weight on our first trip. I would have left the tank empty, but find the additional weight in the trailer makes it ride more stable. Again, thank you for your suggestion.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Compact View Post
Hey Storm I just put a water tank 15 gal tank in my Compact up in the front under the drivers bench by the tounge my tank is 24"x16"x8" and full weights around 120lbs + the lip for that 24" length would not support that weight if you were to hit some bumpy roads and over time I am sure would crack and break. Now I don't know what your tank looks like but if it lets say 6x6x50" or something like that then you could use the lip cause you would be spreading out that weight over more area. Part two of a plan would be to weld a brace on the frame to support the area under where the tank would sit and drill a hole or two into the angle iron where it would be supporting your glass lip. All food for thought I might add that there are angle iron braces welded on the frame of my trailer supporting the wood flooring where where the tank sits.

Hope This Helps,
Gary
Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #5

California
Thank you

Linda,

Thank you for your response. We just took our trailer out on two week camping trip up the coast of California and the trailer and the water tank held up well.

Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda of San Diego View Post
Storm,
My fresh water tank is located in the front bench, on the drivers side right under the water intake fill. The tank sits on 1/2 the fiberglass bottom and 1/2 on the wood subfloor.

I hope this helps.

Linda