Compact Jr. Pop Top canvas question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2013, 04:32 AM   #15
Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Only $200!

Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It would help if you had the old one for a pattern , but I got an estimate from Shaw's tent and awning to reproduce it for under $200 including the screens with built-in covers.
Wow! Floyd, where is Shaw's Tent and Awning?

My brother has been suggesting half-moon type zippers for a replacement skirt on my 1972 Compact Jr. How do you like them, Loyce?

Someone took some relatively thick vinyl, chopped out window holes (and I mean CHOPPED) and hand-sewed on velcro and clear window flaps on the skirt they'd made on mine. Apparently canvas doesn't last 40 years in the Pacific Northwest! Ha! But really, it would be nice to have a decent-looking and -acting skirt.

Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
I made my skirt/boot out of Sunbrella fabric and made the windows 2 ways to try out what I liked best. Both of them have fiberglass screen in them. I looked at no-see-um netting and felt the fiberglass screen was a better choice, it was tougher fabric and had better air flow. I made a rectangular flap for a velcroed window and a half circle shape for the zippered window. The zippered one only takes one hand to close and it closes faster and more precisely than the velcro. Even though it was harder to make I like it better.

I still have work to do on it, it only has 2 windows and I want to have 4, one on each side. I made each of the sides as separate panels (easier to handle) then did a single line of stitching holding them together to check the installed fit. I'm going to pull it back out, install the additional windows, maybe replace the velcro window with a zippered one so they all match, then sew all the panels back together with a lapped seam for strength. Plus I need to add a pocket around the entire bottom to run a string through so it can be tied tightly after it is screwed in place,

Loyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #17
Trailer: Compact Jr
On my sister's Compact Jr, there's a long elastic cord that goes all the way around the outside of the top skirt about halfway up. It helps tuck the skirt away when you're lowering the top.

You might consider sewing on a loop at each corner to help keep the elastic in place.

Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote