Compact jr poptop moves too far - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Trailer: 1972 COMPACT JR
Compact jr poptop moves too far

Okay, I have removed and re-furbished my pop-top and re-installed it without the boot. The fiberglass lid can swivel (on its four arms) all the way back (normal, I think) and settle down in it's normal closed position ----or all the way front and settle down in an abnormal condition.
What is the locking mechanism to hold the lid in a normal upright position with falling either forward or backward ??
Do those four pegs/pins have something to do with locking the lid in its total upright position??
I have tried inserting the pins in every hole imaginable, but still no luck. Help me decipher the method/sequence please. Tom Justice

THOMASJU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
If it is like my Campster- without the boot it isn't stable. (Though I understand it should be.)

Bobbie Mayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
without the boot it isn't stable
... and the tighter the boot, the more stable it becomes. Raising the top should also stretch the canvass.

In my photos, the 3 major pieces are loosely connected to show how they attach to each other. When installed on the trailer the bolts need to be tight enough to hold the 3 pieces very close together, but not so tight as to prevent movement. Without seeing your mechanism I can only speculate that your bolts may not be tight enough. The cut of the stanchion at the 15" mark in the last photo is all there is to hold the stanchions upright against the top mounting angle and the bottom drawer slide. My top does not have the pins/pegs that you mention, but I plan to add them in my rebuild. They only arrest forward or backward movement IF the pieces are close enough together to engage the cut of the stanchion sideways against the top & bottom parts.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1252.jpg   000_1253.jpg  

000_1254.jpg   000_1258.jpg  

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Our 1973 is equipped with 4 pins that hold the uprights in a vertical position when the top is up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1391727309.940268.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	68083. This is the rear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1391727347.958745.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	68084 And, this is the front.
1980 Bigfoot 17' & 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Name: frankie
Trailer: 1971 hunter compact jr
i wish my camper would have had the original hardware..but it didnt so i made it ... without my boot on its just as strong but the drawer slides are cheesy and will pop out of place if handled wrong but ive left it up thru some of the bad weather weve been havein here in southeast texas and came thru like a champ.... maybe your lift supports are on backwards ??? idk i did that in my fabrication process cause i didnt know which way they went (when i got my jr. the pop top was screwed to the top of the camper) i got four pins i put in my roof that keeps it from falling back down and its pretty solid when in place..... maybe take a pick with the top up so we can see whats goin on..
frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Trailer: 1972 COMPACT JR
Poptop bracket problem solved !!
it turns out that although I had raised all four arms vertically, I was not lining them up properly so that the pins could go through the holes through the metal arms and then on through the fiberglass.
I merely had to watch how far back/forth I moved the vertical pieces for proper line-up and now all is okay...Thanx for all your suggestions and advice.......Tom Jusrice

THOMASJU is offline   Reply With Quote