Compact Jr TV/DVR combo Install - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #1

Name: Kath
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Compact Jr TV/DVR combo Install

Looking for information on how we should install our Tv in our Compact Jr. We would like to be able to run it on 12V and 110. Has any one done this install and what would you recommend. Where would we find the right electrical inlets?

We are also researching a deep cycle battery to hook up and need to know where to mount any feed back would be helpful...we are newbies

Old 03-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #2

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Kath, We have an EggCamper, but I'll share with you what we've done and plan yet to do just as ideas. If you don't already have a television, check out the NAXA models with built-in DVD player (I think the few bad reviews complaining they unexpectedly turn themselves off are from people to didn't provide a good power supply to them). We have the 15.5 inch model. They are VERY light weight, run on 12V DC but also come with a 120V AC converter if you want to go that way. I'm waiting for warmer weather to finish a more professional hidden-wire installation, but I've already run a dedicated pair of wires from the 12V deep-cycle batteries on the trailer tongue through the walls into a small cabinet above the foot of the bed where I plan to mount a 12V receptacle (cigarette lighter type) inside the cabinet so I can just plug the television in when in use and unplug it and take it down when in transit or otherwise don't want it hanging there. We have an RCA flat-style omni-directional air antennae located in the same cabinet. It has a built-in powered signal booster (12V), but it usually does a good job of picking up air channels in a 30-40 mile range without using the powered booster option. If we need to boost the signal, I have a splitter that will let me power both the television and antennae from the one 12V receptacle. The television mount itself will be a simple flat surface slip-in mount attached to the cabinet door - again easy to just slip out and stow away in a secure place when in transit or otherwise not in use. That cabinet is in the back corner, and the cabinet door sets at a 45 degree angle, so it's easy to see the television from most anywhere in the small camper. I hope that makes sense and gives you some things to think about as you weigh your options. Dale

Old 03-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I mounted a 17" VIZIO 12VDC/120AC flatscreen in our Hunter Compact-II using a swing arm attached to the wall on the right side of the dinette. BUT: I installed a 12" x 18" piece of 1/2" plywood on the opposite side of the very thin wall material to back up and distribute the weight of the TV. And, at that, we always take the TV down and store it on the bed when travelling.

http://s363.photobucket.com/user/adv...10415.jpg.html

I don't think that Vizio markets the 12 VDC version any longer, but I have installed a number of flat screen TV's using an inexpensive, 100 watt, 12VDC to 120VAC converter dedicated to the TV. Overall that's a lot less expensive than buying a dedicated 12VDC TV, and much easier/cheaper to replace if it goes south in a year.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #4

California
Added pic to post #3
Old 04-01-2015, 12:01 AM   #5

California
How to power our TV/dvd

can anyone share pictures of their power source, where you placed the power source and how you ran the necessary wires, plugs, inverter so confused on all this stuff. Just want to power a small flat screen tv with DVR and a couple 12v lights. The TV uses 3amps.

We have mounted the TV and just need a simple, easy, hopefully not too expensive power source.

help so confused 71.5 Compact Jr in Roseville, Cali
Old 04-01-2015, 12:06 AM   #6

California
what is your power source? If it is a deep cycle battery do you have it inside and vented?
Do you have any pictures you can post of how you installed the power source.

We have the TV mounted and have tested it with the 110 from the house but we want to leave the garage now. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #7

California
For a 75 watt load you can use an inexpensive plug-in inverter that just plugs into a standard 12 volt accessory outlet. (aka cigarette lighter outlet) They are so inexpensive to almost be considered a consumable. Any hardware, electronics or general merchandise store (Wal-Mart etc.)will have them. Most are rated at 100-125 watts, more than enough.