Compact Junior hitch locking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Compact Junior hitch locking

All the trailers I've had before featured the locking mechanism shown in the top photo.

My new-to-me Compact Junior doesn't have a mechanism like that.

Some one told me the little hole on the bottom left of the bottom photo is the locking point that secures the trailer to the ball for towing and can discourage thieves.

I feel like Ronald Regan and his "trust.... but verify".

So I hope another Junior owner can confirm this for me.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
hitch duo.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #2

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Then verify? Close it on a ball and lock it there, then try to open it.

Even if somebody guarantees that's what it's for, it doesn't mean yours works right.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I didn't like that style of hitch and had it cut off and replaced with a new one. Didn't look to secure after 40 years and it looked like a Disneyesque design in the first place.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #4

Kansas
I can't speak to the condition of that one, but they've been around for years and work fine. I have one on one of my trailers, wouldn't think of replacing it. The only real upgrade for it is a cast coupler IMHO, which is severe overkill for our trailers.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by john madill View Post
Some one told me the little hole on the bottom left of the bottom photo is the locking point that secures the trailer to the ball for towing and can discourage thieves.
You were told correctly.

However, that bottom photo looks like the mechanism has been jammed backward. It should not be able to open that far with a padlock in the hole as shown. It looks to me like that padlock's shank is too small and too loose in that hole. Ideally, the shank should have a large enough diameter to fill the hole completely.

Jared is right; try locking it after the coupler is closed on a hitch ball.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
thanks for the hitch answers

thanks for the quick responses. I will test it before towing.

can't back up to it now for a test as it's in a state of semi-winter storage.

the mechanism is pulled back in the photo by an unseen bungee helping hold on the winter cover.

I will also try a bigger pin or lock to better fill the hole and decrease the movement.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch duo.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

Name: Patricia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr and 2020 Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I also had mine cut off and replaced. My 42yo coupler looked like that and I didn't think it was secure with a pin in the lock. I travel more confidently now.
Down the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #8

Kansas
To the guys that had their hitches replaced, did you have actual trouble like slop in the hitch or being able to open it while locked, or just didn't like the looks of it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting you down for changing it, I chopped the entire hitch off my scamp because I believe a "fifth wheel" should actually be a fifth wheel. I'm just curious since I have the same hitch on another trailer. Mine is nice and tight though.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #9

I replaced mine becasue it wouldn't grab the ball tightly and I didn't like that it didn't have any provision for locking it when hitched. Plus the fact that it is 40+ years old.

If originality was more important that security, I may have tried to get some less worn parts, but replacing it was a slam dunk when I had reinforcing bars added to the bottom edge of the frame. Added about $20+ parts to the welding bill.

In addition, you don't know how much frame rust is under that puppy until you take it off.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Mine is a variation.

A while back some one suggested cranking the tongue jack when coupled. If the tow vehicle raises up then the ball is secure. I've adopted the habit. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-888284918.jpg  
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #11

Raz/s coupler looks a bit different that the OP's in post #1.

That hole behind the latch pivot point seems to be a place to lock it in the closed position, something not on the other one.

But still, if you look you will see that there is no provision for tightening the coupler to compensate for wear in the coupler or hitch ball.

While I could also lift the TV with the tongue jack, if you stood on the back bumper of the trailer and jumped up and down, the hitch coupler would also bounce up and down on the ball. Not a good thing...