Compact Junior pop top gasket - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #1

Name: Janice
Trailer: Compact Jr
Saskatchewan
Compact Junior pop top gasket

Trying to find a replacement for the gasket as show in photo. U shaped with flat bottom. Any thoughts?
Janice Laliberte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice Laliberte View Post
Trying to find a replacement for the gasket as show in photo. U shaped with flat bottom. Any thoughts?
your photo did not get posted but I know what they are
They are also used as a gasket to mount a camper/canopy/shell onto a truck. So that is the place to source them from.

Pickup Truck Cap Camper Shell Lid Weather Seal Trim Tape 25ft Kit for 5.5ft bed | eBay

or
https://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInf...artnum=MPULTTS
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #3

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
My '72 Compact Jr originally had Trim-Lok (not camper shell gasket) on both the edge of the lid, and the edge of the rim on the roof where the lid overlaps. You can find it on Amazon in rolls of 25' or more. I found this size to be a good replacement for the original Trim-Lok:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
2X what Talia said.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #5

USA
Also, I should add that I wasn't thrilled that it was black, but I found that Krylon Fusion spray paint for pvc/plastic works perfectly to make it any color you wish, so that if you're weird like me...you can color-coordinate your Trim-lok.

Just make sure you use the Fusion Primer, and then a couple light coats of the color you want *before* you snap it onto your roof edges.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #6

Saskatchewan
Thanks to all that posted. Not sure why photo was a no show. But advise has been sage and will be followed.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Hi Janice

Here are a few shots that show the trim in place and a piece of trim similar to what is up there.

I can send you a snippet of this trim if you like to see if it fits. I think it also comes in a larger size. I could probably get a snippet of that too if you like.

I used this for the doorway of my sailboat. Very easy to put on. Boat supply places often have it, you might check out a West Marine if you have one in your area.

I bought it by the foot, if it came in a roll of 25' two rolls would probably be enough to do the top and the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
roof.trim.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

Michigan
West Marine and WalMart have it......

West Marine is very expensive.

WalMart has several styles and sizes at about 1/4th the price.

Here are a couple of links:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TRIM-LOK-INC-750B2X1-32-25-Edge-Trim-Alum-Clip-0.2-In-W-25-Ft/41024600?action=product_interest&action_type=title &item_id=41024600&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=SMT&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=8 938617b-ee49-47d1-8ef3-4871f81aaf8f&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_ item_id=41088596&parent_anchor_item_id=41088596&gu id=f2bdf704-a7cc-4412-95d6-a2429bbc2853&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_ver sion=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/taco-marine--flexible-trim--P024_724_001_008
Old 10-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

USA
Walmart is cheaper than West Marine, but I think Amazon is cheaper than Walmart if you've got Amazon Prime.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #10

Saskatchewan
Thanks for all the links and advice. Unfortunately Walmart US and Canada are two different operations. Our selection is much more limited. But do know some marine upholsterers so will give them a visit. Will keep everyone informed. By the by....four days of snow forecast here so all this will have to wait!
Old 10-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #11

Name: Jim
Saskatchewan
Wink Sealer for CJ topper

Janice
Don't do it today!!!!!! In Watrous we have 4" of that dreaded white stuff. What do they say for us in Saskatchewan ??..........."It's a dry cold". They lied...it's a darn wet cold today!!
Our "CJ" is put away for the year. Tarped......Irish Spring soap inside to discourage any mice.......Up on blocks to get the tires off the ground.......Plastic garbage bags over the wheels to prevent sun damage to them. It's like putting a baby to bed!
As far as a seal is concerned.........we just used window tape with adhesive back (replace every second year???). More important is getting the 'hatch' to sit evenly down on the body. That means making sure the canvas and plastic windows are properly folded in.
Tell me again why we insist on living in Saskatchewan!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Ebay usually has the best prices on edge trims and seals. Lots of Ebay stores for those items. That is where I have typically been able to find it in the quantities I need. You will find it in the automotive section of Ebay.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #13

Saskatchewan
Four days of snow forecast so no exterior work right now. Think I have sourced the moulding I need so a return to warmer weather I will get it done. Another question...oh there will be questions...is there no outlet on the compact junior to hook into regular electrical? I have a battery and all the cords but it seems there should be somewhere on the outside where we can plug in
Old 10-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #14

USA
Quote:
Four days of snow forecast so no exterior work right now. Think I have sourced the moulding I need so a return to warmer weather I will get it done. Another question...oh there will be questions...is there no outlet on the compact junior to hook into regular electrical? I have a battery and all the cords but it seems there should be somewhere on the outside where we can plug in
On mine, the power access was under the sink, at the rear driver's side of the trailer. It does not go out through the side of the trailer, but rather through the floor in that rear corner. I don't know if they were all like that.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
KC, I have a lot of trucks and canopies but I have never seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
your photo did not get posted but I know what they are
They are also used as a gasket to mount a camper/canopy/shell onto a truck. So that is the place to source them from.

Pickup Truck Cap Camper Shell Lid Weather Seal Trim Tape 25ft Kit for 5.5ft bed | eBay

or
https://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInf...artnum=MPULTTS
: any of those gaskets before today. I just used a 2 sided tape one side glues to the rails and the other to the Canopy and never a leak. But it is a bitch to get off the rails when u sell the truck or what ever.
The other part I find kind of odd is that Americans call their canopies Campers, in Canada they are just Canopies to sleep under, pack goods and keep them dry, stick the dog with screened windows etc.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #16

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: any of those gaskets before today. I just used a 2 sided tape one side glues to the rails and the other to the Canopy and never a leak. But it is a bitch to get off the rails when u sell the truck or what ever.
The other part I find kind of odd is that Americans call their canopies Campers, in Canada they are just Canopies to sleep under, pack goods and keep them dry, stick the dog with screened windows etc.
stude
I don't believe the Trim-lok on the Compact poptop is there to keep water out. The poptop section has a deep lip that overlaps a correspondingly tall lip on the roof. This overlap, combined with the fabric boot is what keeps water out. I think the Trim-lok was added mostly to reinforce and protect the thin fiberglass edges from cutting the fabric boot when the lid is closed, and also to prevent the poptop from abrading the fiberglass roof while the trailer is being jostled in motion.

Just my thoughts on it.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:39 AM   #17

Name: Jim
Saskatchewan
Smile CJ electrical adaptation

Janice
120 electrical??entry??? On our "CJ" there is an entry port in floor under the sink closet(looks like the spout collar on a gas can) through which a cord is threaded when needed. The cord leads to a two breaker panel box. Thus I have 2 circuits. #1 contains two wall lights - 1 in each divider and 1 plg in under each bench. #2 contains a plug near the stove and an exterior weatherproof box above the license plate.
The entry port also allows for a 12v cord which plugs into my cigarette lighter in my truck. That powers a light above the sink and the exhaust fan above the stove.
As a backup I installed a solar light(30 mini LED lights) above the bed/table area. This attachs to a removeable solar panel (6"x8") which can be placed on the pop up and taken down when travelling. To me, this is the most valuable lighting accessory as it is simple, cheap and requires less 'plugging in'.
Hope your continued white fluffy fall coverage isn't blowing around. Oh Saskatchewan winter, thou hast such fury!!!!
jish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #18

USA
Yup, same as mine, Jish. That's the entry through the floor under the sink that I was talking about. Of course, I don't plan to keep it there, since I'm rebuilding my Jr from the ground up. I'm going to put in a regular 30amp hookup out the side.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #19

Michigan
Here's photos of the electrical "system" on the Jr.

Hi Janice

Here's what my electric system looks like. I'm pretty sure the breaker box and big cord are original.

I only have one outlet and it is on the left side of the trailer along a seat edge. There may have been a 2nd outlet somewhere but would have disappeared with a previous owner.

It is too far away for most short-corded kitchen appliances and is only a single outlet.

So I added a multistrip outlet nearer the kitchen area. Looked hard to find one with a plug that hugged the outlet rather than stuck out.

The big cord is supposed to snake through a hole in the floor. My hole is at the center of the left photo and is stuffed with steel wool to keep critters out. Brass wool is better but I haven't noticed any rust on the wool.

But snaking the cord in and out of the hole is a pain in the bottom. So I just keep it coiled up and run the proper all weather extension cord from the campground box up into the hole.

That sends power to my outlet and to a lamp on the wall. Care should be taken not to overload that one outlet. I have no trouble running a small heater, the light, and a fridge.

but if I had a microwave or a toaster oven I'd probably turn off the heater while using them.

How about some photos of your Jr?
Attached Thumbnails
electrical.jpg  
Old 10-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #20

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
I don't believe the Trim-lok on the Compact poptop is there to keep water out. The poptop section has a deep lip that overlaps a correspondingly tall lip on the roof. This overlap, combined with the fabric boot is what keeps water out. I think the Trim-lok was added mostly to reinforce and protect the thin fiberglass edges from cutting the fabric boot when the lid is closed, and also to prevent the poptop from abrading the fiberglass roof while the trailer is being jostled in motion.

Just my thoughts on it.
I think it is partly there to keep air from coming up under the top and trying to push it up. I agree it probably doesn't keep water out.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote