Compact Junior VIN - Where? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
Member
 
Kevin PDX's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Oregon
Posts: 46
Question Compact Junior VIN - Where?

Can someone give me an idea where to find the VIN on a Compact Junior?

I seem to recall a metal plate to the left of the door, but was wondering if there was another place to look. Perhaps somewhere on the trailer frame?

I'm getting ready to look at one but really leery. The owner said he never had a title (bought it second or third hand with a Bill of Sale) and can't seem to find the VIN plate.

I'm going to look at it Wednesday, hopefully he can find some paperwork and I can find the VIN. Otherwise, I may be better off letting this go.

Kevin
__________________

__________________
Kevin PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation There were no VINs in the 1970's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin PDX View Post
Can someone give me an idea where to find the VIN on a Compact Junior?

I seem to recall a metal plate to the left of the door, but was wondering if there was another place to look.
Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) were established in 1980 or 1981. Before that Trailers had Serial Numbers and had significantly fewer digits that the 17 digit VIN. My 1971 Compact Jr. four digit Serial Number (0037) is stamped on a small aluminum plate riveted to the left of the rear entry door, and that's the only place it is on my trailer.
__________________

__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
On my Hunter Compact-II there are two numbers, the serial number (C1308) which is also on the title, and the frame number (W136583). The serial number plate is a 2.25" square aluminum plate located on the lower left side of the front panel. The frame number plate is a small plate welded to the side of the left fame rail, about 4" aft of the coupler. The serial number plate is from Hunter Structures. The frame number plate is from Ward & Sons, who apparently built the basic frame.
If it's currently registered in the sellers name, and has been for at least a few years, there should be no problem, In CA you can request that the CHP issue a new I.D. plate based on what's on the title. Good Luck.
BTW: Was this the one recently advertised on C/L in Portland???
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Member
 
Kevin PDX's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Oregon
Posts: 46
Ya know - - I really meant to say 'Serial Number', but VIN is just habit, I guess.

Had the seller look on the rear near the light and he says nothing there. Thought there may be somewhere else or he wasn' sure what he was looking for.
__________________
Kevin PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Member
 
Kevin PDX's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Oregon
Posts: 46
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
On my Hunter Compact-II there are two numbers, the serial number (C1308) which is also on the title, and the frame number (W136583). The serial number plate is a 2.25" square aluminum plate located on the lower left side of the front panel. The frame number plate is a small plate welded to the side of the left fame rail, about 4" aft of the coupler. The serial number plate is from Hunter Structures. The frame number plate is from Ward & Sons, who apparently built the basic frame.
If it's currently registered in the sellers name, and has been for at least a few years, there should be no problem, In CA you can request that the CHP issue a new I.D. plate based on what's on the title. Good Luck.
BTW: Was this the one recently advertised on C/L in Portland???
No, not the one from Portland - that was bought by someone in Vancouver, WA. This is south.

Seller doesn't think he had it titled in his name. Hoping to find the SERIAL NUMBER <see, got it right that time! > So we can go do a DMV check when I go down to look at it Wednesday. We shall see what happens.
__________________
Kevin PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Serial Number ... is stamped on a small aluminum plate riveted to the left of the rear entry door.
It's next to the lower right corner of the license plate in this picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Compact Jr Rear Closed.jpg  
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,434
When you finally get it figured out, if I were you (and I'm not) I'd get one of the attached, buy a number/alpha kit from Harbor Freight, scuff it up and bolt it to the frame in a hidden area... no one would know it's not "original." I mean, how many people at your DMV even know about these trailers... DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION TO SKIRT LAWS! Here's where you get that blank plate: https://www.koolrides.com/catalog/pr...372ae24d9cae3b
Attached Images
 
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,054
Registry
I had one which had the serial tag on the left front lower corner. Also had another trailer with it placed to the left of the door.
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
Member
 
Kevin PDX's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Oregon
Posts: 46
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When you finally get it figured out, if I were you (and I'm not) I'd get one of the attached, buy a number/alpha kit from Harbor Freight, scuff it up and bolt it to the frame in a hidden area... no one would know it's not "original." I mean, how many people at your DMV even know about these trailers... DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION TO SKIRT LAWS! Here's where you get that blank plate: https://www.koolrides.com/catalog/pr...372ae24d9cae3b
Actually, it made be a good idea to get this and mount it elsewhere on the trailer as a backup. Friend of mine had a utility trailer stolen. When it was found the serial number on the tongue had been ground off, but not the one he welded into the bottom of the frame.
__________________

__________________
Kevin PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
vin


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello New From SW WA., Compact Junior Rick S. Hi, I am.... 6 12-10-2011 10:19 PM
Compact Junior Family Angie2B Wanted: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers 0 08-22-2011 04:00 PM
VIN for Compact Junior? Angie2B Money Matters 13 08-09-2011 06:03 PM
Looking for electrical help 72 Compact junior Kent I Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 07-27-2011 08:25 PM
WANTED A COMPACT JUNIOR OR COMPACT II IN VANCOUVER, B.C. Angela Mattice Wanted: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers 0 01-20-2007 01:19 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.