compartments?they look terrible! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #15
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Thanks people for all the great ideas. Here's one more you didn't think of. I went to my local boat shop, And asked the same question. he said'' paint on fiberglass resin'' It wll fill up the voids, and strenthen all the old stress cracks in the egg. Im going to look more into the insulation idea too.

Ryan Kennelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:22 AM   #16
Trailer: Boler
I'm with Ryan on this..... first place I would look for cool ideas is at your local marine supply. Boats deal with the same problems we have with our "eggs", mildew, condensation and seals. (because I live on the west coast these stores are easy to find, they are like Stabucks, one on every corner)

There are some easy to apply 2-part marine paints as well as industructable vinyl flooring and fabrics.

Another wonderful boat product that I'll be using to rebuild some bulkheads, etc is STARBOARD. This is a plastic sheet product that can be used instead of plywood. It comes in various thicknesses and can be glued, screwed and cut like wood. It won't rot and doesn't "grow things". I have a strange configuartion in the front of my Boler that I am changing to a sofa w/ storage and a porta-potti. So I'm going to try the Starboard to build the frame of the box. it should be easy to clean and last forever.

gregshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #17
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The fiberglass resin would be good, except for the health hazards.

Beginning of rant:

I can't imagine getting my head in a FGRV compartment along with an open can of catalyzed polyesther resin and dobbing it around with a brush.

If the structure needs that kind of extra strength, fine, but I'd recommend dropping another $500 - $800 on an air-fed hood, then removing the structure and doing it in an open environment.

If you need a little more convincing, just spend an afternoon at your local nursing home. It's sad to see able looking people with oxygen tanks in tow.

End of rant. Sorry.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:49 PM   #18
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
...Another wonderful boat product that I'll be using to rebuild some bulkheads, etc is STARBOARD... I'm going to try the Starboard to build the frame of the box....
I had never heard of this stuff, so of course I had to look it up to satisfy my curiosity! King StarBoard is solid polymer (plastic) material, not fiber-reinforced like fiberglass (which should really be called glass-fiber reinforced plastic).

From what I read just now in boating forums, this is not likely a good choice for structural panels, because it will bend under load - not just like a spring, but creeping with time like bookshelves which sag after years of the weight of the books on them.
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #19
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Loren is right. I was warned about the inhalation hazards at the boat shop! The resin is one of the hardest undertakings, But probably up there with the nicest results! By the way, my local boat shop will do the whole thing for a couple of hundred bucks. This site is a great think tank, keep up the good work!

Ryan Kennelly is offline   Reply With Quote