Composting toilet - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Composting toilet

Has anyone installed one of these and, if so, how is it working out? Thanks.

https://www.shoptinyhouses.com/produ...waAtHREALw_wcB

bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #2

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I have no personal experience myself, but I do follow several blogs & YouTube channels with folks who full time in busses and on sailboats...

and we've heard for years that the Nature's Head is the absolute best in composting toilets you can get. ALL owners seem to just love them, and sing songs in praise of them!

We were originally gonna build ourselves a cargo trailer conversion until just acouple weeks ago when we came across the Casita that we bought.
We were 100% on board with installing a NH in our trailer, until our game plan changed.

If we ever have any issues with the factory can in it, we very well will be considering swapping it our for a NH too.

Don't think you'd be sorry with getting one.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #3

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '82 Burro 13'
Northern VA
If there's a major boat show nearby, I'd recommend a visit to see it in person, if they're attending. I did that myself in Annapolis, MD. Thinking I was going to get the Natures Head for my sailboat but after seeing the Airhead toilet, I went with that one instead. Also look up C-head. Similar product.

btw, I still haven't used my Airhead yet.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Robert, The Fit RV provided a detailed one year review of the Airhead here. They also mentioned why they chose it over the Nature's Head. My understanding is that both brands have similar pros and cons. A sailor youtuber with a Nature's Head also had the same flying insect problem mentioned here.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #5

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I installed a C-head in my 13 foot Scamp several years ago. I'm single and only use it for night time and emergencies. I travel Florida for 2-3 months each year and usually go the entire trip without needing to dump the toilet solids. Urine gets dumped every day or two.

I liked it so much, that when I ordered my new 16 foot Scamp, I deleted the toilet from the package. I have now installed another C-head in this trailer. I just returned today from 2.5 months in Florida, and have not needed to empty the solids yet. I do not even bother installing the ventilation kit, since it is optional, depending on frequency of use. I have never had any problems with odors, confirmed by every visitor who has entered the trailer. One time, a couple of years ago, I had a problem with small flies that took up residence. I emptied the solids, and the flies went with it and did not return.

So much nicer, not having to deal with a black tank and worrying about the associated problems. With the composting, it's a simple matter of dumping an odor free, and dry 5 gallon bucket into another bucket or trash bag for later composting. It can be done inside the trailer with a modicum of care, or just step outside to do it. It's a 2 minute job that is usually over before any neighbors even get up their curiosity as to what you are doing.

C-head is a much simpler design that uses a plastic milk jug for urine containment. These can be easily replaced when they develop the inevitable discoloration and scale. The C-head is also considerably cheaper than the other options.

LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Several older discussions on this topic. Check out:

Installed a Composting Toilet in My Casita

Compost toilet for 17 Casita

Composting and Recycling morphs into a brief discussion of composting toilets...

And then here's a mention of a composting toilet in Add Toilet to Scamp 19.

There is also a very long, very contentious thread on sawdust toilets, which I won't even link to.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:00 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
my wife and I can exclusively use the flush toilet in our escape for a week, and not fill the black tank. 15-20 minutes to dump and flush the system on the way out, done.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote