Concave indent in 17 ft. Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
I looked at a 17' Boler today for a possible winter project. Overall a fairly solid and workable trailer. Possibly will require a new axle and brake assembly and am presently pricing this out.

My main concern is that the door side of the trailer has a very definite and noticeable indent in the middle. It is as if a giant rubber band was placed around it causing it to cave in. According to the gap in the belly band it appears to be about a 1 to 1.5 inch indent.

Although the integrity of the shell does not appear compromised it is a very noticeable.

I haven't closely looked at other 17 footers but I suspect this is not normal. Has anyone else experienced this.

I'm thinking, as the door does have the warping both top and bottom that a previous owner may have tried to suck the wall in to conform with the shape of the warped door? Perhaps they bent the support rods on the inside. (they did not appear bent)

OR

In the original manufacturing, the curve of the inside cabinets was off, causing the walls to suck in when they were fastened with the rivets

It does not appear as if the trailer has sustained any physical impact to cause this.

I had some photos to post but deleted them from my camera by mistake.

kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 12 ft Chariot (Stealth Egg) and 1987 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
causing the walls to suck in when they were fastened with the rivets

Can't say definitively without seeing it of course ....... but the only one I have ever seen first hand that looks as you have described was caused by some fasteners sucking it in.
DayTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My 17ft Boler was same way. I think thats how they were made.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_17_006.jpg   B6.jpg  

Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
The Burro I just got is the same way on the driver's side, it kind of goes in. I think it's due to one of the appliance vents on that side. From the inside you can't tell at all.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 1980 17 ft Boler (named Beatrice)
Send a message via MSN to Kathy L
Ok I had to bite on this one... just went outside to look at my 17' Boler (1980) don't see any indents at all.. maybe it has to do with the year and cabinetry as suggested above..
Kathy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Ok I had to bite on this one... just went outside to look at my 17' Boler (1980) don't see any indents at all.. maybe it has to do with the year and cabinetry as suggested above..
If you back and look at my Boler photo, you will see where it bows in toward door hinges and door handle. I have seen many Bolers like that.

Tags
boler