Condensation control - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Escape
This is our first entry in the forum. We need to know how to control condensation forming on the windows and walls of our Escape trailer. This is just formed from two of us - and our cat - breathing during the night. Even with the heater on, the windows and walls were very wet. We are sure that the temperature differential is to blame, but we just need to know if there is anything we can do to reduce or prevent condensation. Any and all suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

Doug and Kathy
dkdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
1. Propane heaters (If that is what you have running) will contribute greatly to the condensation. Catalytic ones are the worst. I have a furnace now, and still get a little.

2. Ventilation will help reduce it. Leave a window cracked, and the roof vent open a bit, if not all the way. I know, this makes for heat loss, but ventilation, above everything else, will help the most.

3. Put "Heavy" curtains on the windows. I actually had vinyl ones in my 13, and that helped a ton as an insulator between the cold air at the windows and the cabin. (The windows had condensation, for sure, but it didn't "Leak" into the cabin as much)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It seems to me that ventilation is what works the best. Roof vent open and in our case the window over the sink. I also open the window above our heads just a bit. Ya, the furnace runs a bit more maybe, we don't get a huge amout of condensation. I watch it pretty close when cooking or making coffee and open it up even more when condensation starts.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
First time out was boon docking, with wife, myself and grand child in a 13 ft Boler and it rained from day one to day 3.
The need to get out of the cold sauna was great and after getting home I installed a 12V fan so it exhausts out through the window over stove.
I now leave this window cracked and another window on other end of trailer cracked and this keeps the air moving so unless in a thick fog bank the air inside doesn't have time to condense on walls.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I wonder if this would work as condensation control.Its a topic here.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=25674
Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
I wonder if this would work as condensation control.Its a topic here.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=25674
That's sort of what I was thinking these vents would be good for. I suppose it will depend on your climate also, if you are needing a bigger fan unit installed, then these wouldn't be very cost effective to add in addition to the larger fan unit, but if you just need one to keep the air moving a bit, they may be an option to consider.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Vented heaters like the standard RV furnace don't add to the condensation (the water is vented to the outside) but unvented heaters, like the various cats, mr heater buddy, etc., will produce one ounce of water per hour per 1000 BTU produced. As we already know, people, pets and cooking will create enough condensation to be a problem.

The warmer air will hold the most water vapor, so venting it out the top helps considerably.

The other trick is to cut down on the cold places where the warm air hits and the water vapor condenses. Try to insulate behind the window frames and places like that which can't be seen but will collect water. Don't try to insulate windows that have drains because that's a good place to 'herd' the condensation. I glued foam insulation to the inside of my gravel shield so the front, undrained, window wouldn't collect water.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote