Condensation Management in Cold Weather - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
AC and heater perform like a dehumidifier in combination
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
We bought an RV sized dehumidifier on Amazon. Works well.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #23

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My black-out shades made of Ron-Loc do a good job of insulating our windows (and ceiling vents) while allowing air to flow too because they are not tightly sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
John I believe the picture you said is Jasper, is actually Sable Falls, just West of Grand Marias, MI. It empties into Lake Superior. I took a picture of it in '09 that is very similar to yours'. No worries, when we were in WY, they told us Colorado got busted for including a picture of the Grand Tetons (WY) in one of their travel brochures. Whatever you do; don't stop including pics of your travels with your posts. I enjoy them.

Tom
Tom,

No doubt you are right. So many waterfalls, so little time. It gets confusing.

Cheers, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #25

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Dry-Z-Air is expensive, but a bag or two of refill material plus one original container will do you well most of the winter. Also you can get similar products at the Dollar Stores for one buck...they don't even have to be drained the same way, but they DO work.

Also, think showering in your bathroom at home. You have hot, moist air and cooler walls. What happens? Condensation.

If you don't heat your trailer, AND use a dehumidifying product, no condensation.

Cold dry air doesn't condense on cold walls.

Warm moist air will condense on cold walls. The colder it is outside, the more likely heated air inside will form condensation--unless your insulation is very good.

My take, after discussing this with Paul, is do not heat the trailer, but DO use dehumidifying products and/or devices.

Those $1 Dry-the-air knock-offs work fine. Set a few around the trailer, and don't turn on the heat. Check them once in a while--the cheap ones just "set up" in the bottom, trapping the moisture--the brand name ones keep the crystals above the liquid and have to be drained. Either way, check every few weeks to make sure no new leaks have developed and that everything is working as it should.

YMMV ... but remember the shower situation. Think of the mirror. It's not even very cold, being at "room temp." But the AIR in there is hotter and carries moisture.

BEST
Kai
Old 10-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #26

Name: Ia
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Thanks for all of the good ideas, I will start trying things today!

Awesome pictures John and Tom!

And if you were asking me about the temp, Bob, the daytime temperatures were in the 50s-60s and then overnight it was getting down to the 30s.

My camper's been parked for a few days now and I've just kept the roof vent open, and yesterday evening, when I checked, everything seemed pretty dry. So now at least I know it won't be sweating away while not using it.
Stavig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Dry-Z-Air is expensive, but a bag or two of refill material plus one original container will do you well most of the winter.
I don't know where you shop, but I think Dri-Z-Air is dang cheap. I get the bags for 99 cents at Bi-Mart and the original design container cost me about $8. I use four bags of the crystals a year ($4 total) and the container is never going to wear out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And, you don't have to use Dri-Z-Air branded crystals. I get a large container that lasts a couple years.
Attached Thumbnails
Dri Z Air substitute.jpg  
Old 10-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #29

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'll have to try some of these ideas (other than AC). In my trailer this April, and again in October, I was dealing with a lot of condensation. Not to the point of dripping, but definitely wet walls, clogged salt shaker etc.

I never considered opening the windows or the ceiling vent cause, well...it was 20 degrees outside! I was doing everything I could to keep the heat in and cold out. But I guess I'll need to try it next year.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Salt & Pepper shakers need snap on caps to keep moisture out.

Dress for the weather. Wear layers, so you can adjust for inside and out.
Don't rely on the machine to keep you warm.
Happy Camping!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't know where you shop, but I think Dri-Z-Air is dang cheap. I get the bags for 99 cents at Bi-Mart and the original design container cost me about $8. I use four bags of the crystals a year ($4 total) and the container is never going to wear out.

I agree with DonnaD about the original container--they don't wear out. But I have to say, if you set one down behind the car and drive over it...you may want a new one.

BEST
Kai

PS didn't know Bi-Mart had the bags for 99 cents! Gotta see about THAT!
K
Old 10-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #32

Montana
We all rely on something other than clothes to keep us warm, whether in our house or any other structure. I have a heater and use it.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:10 AM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What kind of heater, Zach?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:20 AM   #34

Registry
ZachO, I agree. When we were in our twenties, we tent-camped with no appliances at all. Now, 45 years later, we use a ceramic heater, we have a 12V blanket in the car in case of something extreme, we have those snap-heat packs, and if necessary we can always drive to a motel if all else fails.

Of course we have lots of layers; Paul looks 50 pounds heavier due to wearing long johns bottoms and top over his underwear, then sweatpants and sweatshirt over his long johns, then he wraps himself in newspaper, then he puts on his pants and flannel shirt, then he pulls on a sweater, three pairs of socks, fur-lined boots, an anorak, ear muffs, a nose-warmer, a ski mask, and a smallish-sized arctic tent.

He's plenty warm. Unless the temp outside dips below 50 F.

Then we head home.

8)

BEST
Kai
Old 10-31-2017, 07:23 AM   #35

Montana

Atwood Hydroflame...

I tent camp, no problem. Backpacking in the west at high elevation means even in August you can have nights that drop into the 30s. I expect that.

When I'm living out of my camper and the temps get down to the 20s at night, I'm going to use my heater.

I should probably have just ignored it but when someone tells me to just dress warmer it annoys me a bit. I've worked a lot of jobs that were 90% outdoors; I'm not afraid of being cold or uncomfortable.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #36

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cold

being cold working is a lot different than being cold trying to sleep. we once bought camp cots for our tent the concept was great but oh those nights with the cold air under us at high altitudes. it was impossible to get warm with those.

I use a wave 3 in our camper and no regrets. I wish I had saved some money though and got a mr buddy. Same system much less money!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:49 AM   #37

Registry
ZachO,

Dressing for active work and dressing for passive sitting and sleeping are different things...and below 20 F? Yeah, .

Atwood Hydroflame sounds like a serious heater! Like the superhero of portable heaters. "I am ATWOOD HYDROFLAME! No icy blast shall conquer me!"

Kai
Old 10-31-2017, 09:39 AM   #38

Montana
Ha!

It must be, based on the cost. Some part of my circuit board or some switch went out on me this fall. Looking at replacements, it's at least $600, possibly up to $1,000 depending on where you look. A comparable Suburban is under $400.

Yes dressing for work and dressing for being idle are totally different. I house sat all last winter, and the people wanted the heat kept down. During the day, I had the thermostat set at 55F. That gets real cold if you're just sitting around reading or something. But if I got up and vacuumed, I'd be nice & toasty!

Today we'll be out in 40F weather, moving rock around to build some riparian restoration structures. I'll be down to just one long sleeve shirt, and still sweating, real fast. But 40F in the house?? No thanks.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #39

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
zacho

zacho I bypassed the furnace in our 13f scamper I prefer the wave 3 or a mr buddy. I use gas quick disconnects and take it down when traveling.

I guess whatever works!

good luck working in the cold today looks like 43d now was 28 this am

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:16 PM   #40

Registry
I hear you. I am applauding your use of "riparian." Great word! Saw it on the British TV show Keeping Up Appearances. A LONG time ago.

You house-sat? Was it your post a while back about allergies?

Kai