Condensation Management in Cold Weather - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 07:48 PM   #41

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah, it's a common word in my current work and circle. If you like riparian, try thalweg!! Actually most work we're doing lately is in mesic areas. But there are lots of riparian projects, too.

Yep, that was the house. Coming off a dry summer where I was working out in a LOT of juniper pollen, pine pollen, and paint blowing back into my face from marking trees for a timber sale, then that house seemed to have something going on that really irritated my sinuses.

Then we had a July and August of really bad smoke this summer. It's been rough on sinuses!

So maybe a very humid trailer with condensation issues is exactly what I need...

I like the blower on my furnace, but I know a lot of people like going with the Mr. Buddy or similar heaters.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wave, Mr. Buddy, and other unvented heaters are bad for condensation, since water vapor and carbon dioxide are the primary byproducts of combustion. That's why I asked. They have their place, but in your situation you're better off sticking with the vented furnace, which sends the water vapor and carbon dioxide outside.

At 20 degrees outside, your options are limited. Definitely limit activities that add moisture- run exhaust fans when showering and cooking and keep it short. Open windows when daytime temperatures permit. Cover them at night. Experiment with chemical or mechanical dehumidification. The chemical products are really intended for trailers in storage, so they may not keep up with water vapor constantly being added through normal human activity. You're pushing the envelope on a 3-season trailer! Let us know how it works.

Where are you getting condensation, by the way?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #43

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
"If you like riparian, try thalweg!! Actually most work we're doing lately is in mesic areas. But there are lots of riparian projects, too."

All good words, thanks!

Sounds like you have a fascinating occupation...and physically demanding.

Have you considered putting up some kind of towels at night, on hooks or rods or hangers to absorb some of the moisture? At least overhead, so it doesn't drip on you?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #44

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
occupation

I bet he is the guy who can make all those rock walls look so nice and straight! I can see with my back doing that stuff well that's my excuse today!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #45

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It was someone else who had issues with it actually dripping. Mine hasn't been that bad, yet.

The nice thing about my current job is that I'm not the construction crew. We're doing restoration work, but right now we're just working on small projects to learn a new method, so we can lead work crews in the coming field seasons. We aren't really about "production"...we're just getting out and getting some experience, and having fun.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #46

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Our amerigo doesn't have observable condensation except on the windows, which is heavy. We have 2-layer fleece curtains that stay dry on our side...and dry fast later; and our Putin door is a beach towel, as are the privacy curtains to separate one bed area from the other. So there's a place for a lot of air moisture to go.

Glad you're not getting dripped on.

You do have an interesting job.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:35 AM   #47

Name: Dre
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
I second Bryon in the ventilation is the key. We keep the roof vent cracked year round, but more so in cold weather. And we sometimes crack the kitchen window as well. The furnace supplied warm air rises to the vent and carries moisture with it. I suppose it costs an extra 50 cents per night in propane but the fresh and dry air is worth it.

We love cool weather camping. No bugs, no crowds, peace.

John

Pic from Jasper
Hey John!

I'll also be doing some cold weather camping in my scamp this is a great tip. I was wondering if the furnace would really add to my humidity issues. I got myself one of those new damp rids tablets but was thinking of either getting more or a dehumidifier since I'll be ski camping lol. It's good to know that i might be ok with the furnace and the maxfan cracked. By any chance do you have any estimates on how long you can run the furnace on one tank?

Best!
Dre
andresagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 08:34 AM   #48

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresagu View Post
... By any chance do you have any estimates on how long you can run the furnace on one tank?
First question is power. The blower draws 12V current from the battery. One or two days will deplete your small G24 or G27 house battery. You'll need shore power or other means to recharge the battery. If you have power, why not use an electric heater?

Assuming you do not have shore power but you do have means to recharge the battery... Will you leave the furnace running all day to protect plumbing, or only when the trailer is occupied? What temperature will you set the thermostat? Will you cover windows and vents? Are you using propane for anything else? What are typical day- and night-time temperatures? So many variables. Rough guess, a few days of heavy, continuous use, up to a week or two with intermittent, conservative use.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:38 PM   #49

Name: Joe
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
I have had good results with DampRid and leaving one window open about half an inch. You can find DampRid in big box hardware stores or online at Walmart or Amazon.

I always pour out 1-2 cups of moisture each spring. The directions are easy. Give it a try.
Interesting I was wondering if damp-rid would work -I used to live in a high humidity area so damp rid was the go to
Enuffnrg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:14 AM   #50

Name: Thomas
Trailer: scamp 13
Wisconsin
I was camping out last Oct. night time temps were in the low 20s, day time in the 30s. I ran the furnace when I awoke at 6 am and shut it down about 11am, then started it up at 5 pm until 9:00. I had a lot of condensation on the windows which I wiped off daily. Running the furnace that much required a generator and used 20 lbs. of propane for about 10 days.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote