Condensation on Scamp hatch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #1

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Condensation on Scamp hatch

I just got back from a couple of weeks trip in the 16' Scamp and one problem we had was condensation collecting on the inside of the metal frame of the big hatch in the rear.
This water world run down and of course be caught by the trip flashing and drip in the WIFE!
Has anyone insulated the metal frame to reduce the condensation?
What would you suggest to use for the insulation and trimming this area?
I plan to replace the aluminum trim with some cherry wood I have from a kitchen remodeling (Cherry Butcher Block counters).
There are some screws in the front part of the frame to hold the hinge, but the rest of it is aluminum which is flat.
Anyone else have this problem,
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape 21
Georgia
The condensation is a naturally occurring problem that is a direct result of your breathing and exhaling water vapor. No amount of insulation will solve the problem, and will create soggy insulation. What works for us is to crack open the vent a small amount that is comfortable for you and the wife. This will let the water vapor escape and not drip.
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I've been thinking of taking out the vent, filling the area with fiberglass, and then patching the interior roof with insulation and rat fur.. I have a powered vent next to the hatch and I have never used the escape hatch except to poke my head through to look at the roof. That would also solve the condensation issue as well as the snare drumming in the rain.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #4

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We crack ours open about an inch overnight if we are running the electric heater or if it's raining. That keeps the vent and windows both from getting condensation on them. If it's nice out, we open it even further. We also usually crack our side windows about an inch as well, but they are jalousie and don't allow rain in, either.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Our 2000 16' Scamp had the same problem. I found a piece of rigid, closed cell foam insulation about 1.5" thick. Cut it to be a squeeze fit in the opening. That keeps the vapor from getting to the cold frame of the hatch. I took off the crank handle and carved a groove in the top side of the foam to fit around the crank mechanism. To allow for easy removal of the foam I added a couple of strips of tape with tabs hanging out.
We had no need to open that vent, as we had installed a MAXX-FAN in place of the original roof vent fan. It can be left open in the rain, and is a quieter fan on low speed.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
We have the large "escape" hatch and the late model sliding windows.
I have installed a MaxxFan in the front and I also have a small window I installed in the front of the trailer bathroom so I could crack it and not have a leak next to one of the beds.
I think that perhaps some Refletex wrapped with some sort of upholster and glued or velcroed in place might take care of the problem.
I am still going to make a wood surround that will serve to trim and provide something for screws in the flange of the hatch so make a better seal.
While I am at it I also need to make a trim surround for the MaxxFan in front too.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I think that perhaps some Refletex wrapped with some sort of upholster and glued or velcroed in place might take care of the problem.....
Probably not, although it might help a very little bit. I have a piece of reflectix in the vent full time, and when conditions are right, I get the same condensation. As mentioned, ventilation is the best way to deal with it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:36 AM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I just got back from a couple of weeks trip in the 16' Scamp and one problem we had was condensation collecting on the inside of the metal frame of the big hatch in the rear.
This water world run down and of course be caught by the trip flashing and drip in the WIFE!
Has anyone insulated the metal frame to reduce the condensation?
What would you suggest to use for the insulation and trimming this area?
I plan to replace the aluminum trim with some cherry wood I have from a kitchen remodeling (Cherry Butcher Block counters).
There are some screws in the front part of the frame to hold the hinge, but the rest of it is aluminum which is flat.
Anyone else have this problem,
:get some 1/2" foam and glue into place by using a water base glue if not any other glue will eat the Styrofoam.
That will stop the exhaust fumes from your bodies.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
That's amusing. The leaks in our FGRVs always seem to be in the exact location where my DW is sleeping. Naturally repairing those leaks immediately becomes top priority.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp