Connecting Car Stereo to Bigfoot T.V antenna. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17G
New Brunswick
Connecting Car Stereo to Bigfoot T.V antenna.

Hello,
We recently purchased a 93' B17 Bigfoot. I have a fairly new car stereo that I would like to install in it. The new trailer has an antenna that I was considering removing, but then the possibility of connecting the the car stereo to the T.V. antenna. My question then becomes, Is there an adapter that will allow me to connect the coaxial cable to a wire with a car radio antenna jack on the end? If so, where would I find it? If no such adapter exists, any suggestions on how to splice the two cables?
Thanks,
James

Sent from my XT1063 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Jayemright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:02 PM   #2

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayemright View Post
Hello, We recently purchased a 93' B17 Bigfoot. I have a fairly new car stereo that I would like to install in it. The new trailer has an antenna that I was considering removing, but then the possibility of connecting the the car stereo to the T.V. antenna. My question then becomes, Is there an adapter that will allow me to connect the coaxial cable to a wire with a car radio antenna jack on the end? If so, where would I find it? If no such adapter exists, any suggestions on how to splice the two cables? Thanks, James
James, I appreciate that you already have a car stereo that you're trying to utilize in your new-to-you camper, but mounting the stereo and speakers, providing a power source and finding a suitable adaptor to try to use your current antenna can get complicated. We keep it simple! On the rare occasion that we feel the need for local radio or some of our favorite music while camping, we have an iPod Nano Gen 7 with built-in FM radio and Bluetooth matched to a little 808 Canz Bluetooth portable speaker (for radio reception, we hard-wire them so the audio input cable acts as the antenna for the Nano). Provides great sound that will fill a small camper, totally portable to take anywhere with you outside the camper (beware annoying other nearby campers!), several hours of battery power when both the Nano and 808 speaker are fully charged (both can be recharged by USB outlet), and the whole thing, Nano and speaker, will fit in a shirt pocket. Works for us.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayemright View Post
Hello,
We recently purchased a 93' B17 Bigfoot. I have a fairly new car stereo that I would like to install in it. The new trailer has an antenna that I was considering removing, but then the possibility of connecting the the car stereo to the T.V. antenna. My question then becomes, Is there an adapter that will allow me to connect the coaxial cable to a wire with a car radio antenna jack on the end? If so, where would I find it? If no such adapter exists, any suggestions on how to splice the two cables?
Thanks,
James

Sent from my XT1063 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
James
Sure you can connect your antenna to the stereo.
There should be an adapter that will convert a standard TV coax connector to a standard FM car radio antenna input jack and I would tell you which one but without seeing them both it is tough to say for sure what you need?

Try
Parts Express,Crutchfeld,MCM,Monoprice,Radio Shack,etc and see if they stock what you need.
You might have to use ore than one to make the connection too?

The TV antenna might not be ideal for receiving FM but has to be better than any FM source with no external antenna at all too.

If using the antenna for both TV and FM there are band splitters available too that will separate the antenna feed into 2 lines for each device that you need to connect the antenna to.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Adapter

Hi,
If your present antenna setup is for TV all you need is an
adapter. The TV stuff uses 'F' type connectors and most
car radios have a 'Motorola' type female socket on the back.
Here is a typical 'F' male to Motorola male adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-F-Co.../dp/B00GYLBU4O

You might have to lengthen the cable on the 'F' side using a butt or
barrel connector to extend it to your TV antenna jack.

I use my old Winegard amplified antenna with my FM and it works
quite well... not so good for AM though.

Hope this helps.

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
radio antenna

I just installed a car antenna in the back of one of the upper cabinets
Loren Hedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I wouldn't bother trying to make old technology work. When I ordered my trailer I chose to not have a sound system or TV installed.
I used my iPod and Sirius satellite radio and the docks built for them, but even those are obsolete and cumbersome now.
I now use my iPhone with my iTunes library and Bluetooth speaker. I can place the speaker where I want, inside or out. I carry fewer chargers and don't trip over wires.
And, I don't have holes in my cabinets where broken equipment used to reside.
It's time to move forward.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I wouldn't bother trying to make old technology work. When I ordered my trailer I chose to not have a sound system or TV installed.
I used my iPod and Sirius satellite radio and the docks built for them, but even those are obsolete and cumbersome now.
I now use my iPhone with my iTunes library and Bluetooth speaker. I can place the speaker where I want, inside or out. I carry fewer chargers and don't trip over wires.
And, I don't have holes in my cabinets where broken equipment used to reside.
It's time to move forward.
Which has what to do with receiving FM radio broadcasts?

There is already an antenna installed and just waiting to be given a job,no streaming required.

Also you wold have to try right now to find a car radio that has no features to support your iPhone and iTunes so this suggestion just makes no sense to me at all?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot