Consumer Reports Vehicle Info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Consumer Reports Vehicle Info

Vehicle Info 2017
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...new_newsletter
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Happy to see my tow is not listed. Thanks for posting. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Your title is misleading to me at least.. it makes it appear that the link is to be the standard CR vehicle ratings. So for anyone who wonders what it is about:

Automotive Turkeys of 2017
Disappointing cars and tires that are at the bottom of CR's ratings

I am amused that the color I randomly chose above is "Sienna," which just happens to be my tug, and which is also not on the list
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:11 PM   #4

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Your title is misleading to me at least.. it makes it appear that the link is to be the standard CR vehicle ratings. So for anyone who wonders what it is about:
Gordon: That full list to include used vehicles with information compiled from surveys to their owners is at your store for sale. Saw it at Food Lion today.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Wrangler: owners love it, CR hates it. I guess folks can try one for themselves, they may love it or they may hate it, but CR should not dun the product jusr because it isn't their cup of tea. JMO.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Wrangler: owners love it, CR hates it. I guess folks can try one for themselves, they may love it or they may hate it, but CR should not dun the product jusr because it isn't their cup of tea. JMO.
Everything CR says in the link about the Wrangler is true. But, if I was off-roading or rock climbing in Moab, it's one great vehicle.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:55 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
CR testing is about the suitability of a vehicle for daily highway use. Their "agenda" favors safety and reliability above other vehicle attributes, such as towing, off-road capability, resale, high performance... Even their definitions of safety and reliability are pretty narrow. They only track repair data for about 8 years, for example.

With such a narrow definition of what constitutes a "good" vehicle, it's not surprising many find their recommendations irrelevant. Wranglers in particular are so far off the chart in terms of intended purpose that their "worst" rating is virtually meaningless. Might scare off a few who think a Wrangler is a "cool" alternative to a RAV4 for freeway cruising, which is a good thing!

Just out of college and drawing her first paycheck, my wife went through a Jeep phase. She recalls driving home from the beach at dawn with the top down and struggling to get the top back on during a sudden downpour. She views it in hindsight as a rite of passage. Mine was a '66 VW Beetle.

Since my needs and priorities today are somewhat aligned with CR's, I do take their full reviews and reliability data into consideration, but not as the last word. Their free content, such as the "Best" and "Worst" press releases like this one, are all about marketing- generating paid subscribers- not information.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote