controller problems - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Scott (the trusted mechanic) probably has an On Board Diagnostics (OBD) code reader. Plugging that into the Yukon will show any stored diagnostic codes for the limited set of conditions which are covered by the OBD system; there are standard trouble codes, plus more specific to the manufacturer which are readily available for GM. One nice feature of OBD is that codes can be stored even after the problem conditions goes away, so there might be an informative indication still available.

Cars don't heal, but sometimes car computers work around problems, so it seems like the problem isn't there anymore. Like Byron, I would be a little concerned that there might still be an issue, even though there are no longer outward signs.

By the way, we don't need gravel or dirt to test ABS around here in this season; my whole drive to work is a demonstration of computerized traction control, and I can exceed available braking traction and trigger ABS at will for a significant part of that.
Ya, I kinda forgot that some of you are in real winter.
From what I read in news Rodney probably won't have any problems finding a place to activate ABS.

By the way I don't know how an on board computer can work around problems except to shut down systems that have problems, where shutting down a system is safer than leaving a defective system active.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
If the previous diagnosis of a bad wheel speed sensor (also hub bearing in your case) was correct, it's possible that the sensor is acting intermittently and is not causing a hard fault right now. This may be explained by the change in temps that your experienceing. I recommend getting the codes checked, and verify the fault is within the sensor before chasing after a faulty brake controller at this point. Wheel bearings with the sensor built in can be a bear sometimes, and they are not the cheapest thing to replace on the car either. Good luck.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
By the way I don't know how an on board computer can work around problems except to shut down systems that have problems, where shutting down a system is safer than leaving a defective system active.
Yes, that's basically it. For example, fuel injection systems with mass air flow sensors may respond to an airflow sensor failure by ignoring it, and using more crude speed and air density method. With a wheel speed sensor I can't imagine a workaround which would not lose functionality and justify keeping the trouble light on; for instance, ABS could ignore that wheel and only work to relieve lockup on the other three... but that means one wheel potentially locking up, a significant loss of functionality.

The possibility of an intermittent fault seems more likely, and thus the value of error codes.

The connection with the controller just seems like way too much of a coincidence to me. I wonder if there is an intermittent connection in the controller wiring, rather than an intermittent fault in an actual sensor? On the other hand, unwanted ABS action does seem consistent with a wheel speed signal saying the wheel has locked up, when it really hasn't. Maybe a sensor is intermittently faulty, and the brake controller makes it seem like the brakes are being applied so the problem becomes apparent - that would be both a controller installation problem and a real sensor problem!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:09 AM   #24

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
GM sensors are notorious for failing, My 2 Lumina's have required all front units to be changed several times. the bearing itself has never failed, but the sensors require a bearing changeout. I have never had my brakes react with pulsing other than at startup when the system does a self diagnostic. and yes, on mine temperature change and humidity can make it come and go.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #25

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: There really is a ... and ELVES too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote