Converter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Jeep Liberty Renagade V6
We were camping this weekend and the converter was not charging the battery when plug into the AC at the RV park. It does charge when plugged in the vehicle or the solar panel. Don't know what happened . I have checked all the fuses and wiring and everything looks alright. Only solution I can come up with is to replace the converter. Is this something we can do ourselves or leave to the professionals ? Also how do you take it out ? (Saw wiring diagram in document ) Any answers would be appreciated
Thanks
Ted Saxton
ted saxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Check your 120v plug, mine comes UNPLUGGED.
Also my converter has a fuse on the converter.

Bill K

Quote:
We were camping this weekend and the converter was not charging the battery when plug into the AC at the RV park. It does charge when plugged in the vehicle or the solar panel. Don't know what happened . I have checked all the fuses and wiring and everything looks alright. Only solution I can come up with is to replace the converter. Is this something we can do ourselves or leave to the professionals ? Also how do you take it out ? (Saw wiring diagram in document ) Any answers would be appreciated
Thanks
Ted Saxton
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Only solution I can come up with is to replace the converter. Is this something we can do ourselves or leave to the professionals ? Also how do you take it out ? (Saw wiring diagram in document ) Any answers would be appreciated
Ted,

I recently upgraded the converter in our '04 Scamp, which means replacing the charging module. The new ones (like yours) have a three-step charger which is much better than the old ones. It cost $75 for the new module, which required drilling out two pop rivets (which I converted to #10 bolts). It was very simple to do, with only about five wires to connect. They are cut to the right length, stripped, and tinned. The color coding makes it very easy to hook up correctly. If you don't find an obvious cause, I suggest calling Americn Enterprises service at 818 598 8580. You'll get to meet Carlos. BTW, he said many of the charger failures are due to the $12 fan failing, resulting in the charger overheating. Good luck.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
I have had many converters fail even when their own internal fans worked fine because they are installed in tightly closed boxes filled with extra camping stuff.

I vent problem units out or add additional venting into the closed areas...These guys are rated to about 95 F. The really high end units shut down to protect themselves from this issue now.

Happy Camping Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
After replacing my converter twice in two years, I gave up and installed a much cheaper 10 amp automatic battery charger.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Ted,

I recently upgraded the converter in our '04 Scamp, which means replacing the charging module. The new ones (like yours) have a three-step charger which is much better than the old ones. It cost $75 for the new module, which required drilling out two pop rivets (which I converted to #10 bolts). It was very simple to do, with only about five wires to connect. They are cut to the right length, stripped, and tinned. The color coding makes it very easy to hook up correctly. If you don't find an obvious cause, I suggest calling Americn Enterprises service at 818 598 8580. You'll get to meet Carlos. BTW, he said many of the charger failures are due to the $12 fan failing, resulting in the charger overheating. Good luck.

Parker

Parker,
Thanks for your fast reply. I was wondering when the squirrel blew out the electrical transformer out last Thursday if that might of also blew the module out?
Well I'm going to try and replace the module and I still need know how to get the module out ?

Thanks
Ted Saxton
Old 10-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
After replacing my converter twice in two years, I gave up and installed a much cheaper 10 amp automatic battery charger.

-- Dan Meyer

Dan,
Where did you hook the battery charger up? On the battery or to the wires going to the battery in the electrical compartment?
Ted Saxton
Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Dan,
Where did you hook the battery charger up? On the battery or to the wires going to the battery in the electrical compartment?
Ted Saxton
I disconnected the AC to DC conversion circuit in the converter, and installed the battery charger in its place.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Parker,
Thanks for your fast reply. I was wondering when the squirrel blew out the electrical transformer out last Thursday if that might of also blew the module out?
Well I'm going to try and replace the module and I still need know how to get the module out ?

Thanks
Ted Saxton
Ted,

It requires drilling out the two rivets on the left edge of the converter. These rivets go through the charge module (which is in a vertical slot) and the left mounting holes of the actual converter. I got my new charge module before taking anything apart, and it all made sense. One minor detail. The module slides into a very small track cast into the plastic on the top and bottom of the converter housing. The module itself has a thin plastic sheet of insulating material attached against the back side of the circuit board. The slots aren't quite wide enough to get that thin plastic sheet in there also, so the plastic sheet stays outside the slots while the board slides in easlity. This will make sense when you see it.

While you have the board out, you can access the fan in case you want to check it or at least blow it out.

Forgot to mention that this all begins with removing the front cover, which is held on by a single screw right in the middle. And don't forget to remove the 110V power and disconnect the battery before starting!

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Ted,

It requires drilling out the two rivets on the left edge of the converter. These rivets go through the charge module (which is in a vertical slot) and the left mounting holes of the actual converter. I got my new charge module before taking anything apart, and it all made sense. One minor detail. The module slides into a very small track cast into the plastic on the top and bottom of the converter housing. The module itself has a thin plastic sheet of insulating material attached against the back side of the circuit board. The slots aren't quite wide enough to get that thin plastic sheet in there also, so the plastic sheet stays outside the slots while the board slides in easlity. This will make sense when you see it.

While you have the board out, you can access the fan in case you want to check it or at least blow it out.

Forgot to mention that this all begins with removing the front cover, which is held on by a single screw right in the middle. And don't forget to remove the 110V power and disconnect the battery before starting!

Parker
thank you i did every thing you said it works fine
ted saxton
Old 09-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Does anybody know if Parker's module replacement instructions would work with the 2008 Casita converter, too? The two 30 amp fuses won't go in without sparking, possibly due to accidentally switching the polarity when the battery was reconnected recently.
Thanks,
Ruth
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote