Converter amp rating - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
You must be mistaken me for someone else. I am new to the forum and only have about 5 posts.

So, A 30 amp converter is to a 45 amp converter as a 100 amp house service is to a 1,000 amp house service?

Interesting ...
Sorry for mistaken identity.

OK, a 20 amp converter vs a 45 amp converter and a 200 amp house service and a 450 amp house service. Is that better?

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #16
Trailer: Trillium
I'll stick my nose in now,!

put in DC rated circuit breakers, and use whatever size converter you want. Make sure all wiring is sized appropriately, and all connections are good. Check it on a regular basis, and have fun camping.
If you really want a quick charge, get a dedicated charger and use it, not the one built into the converter.

Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:03 AM   #17
Trailer: Boler 1971
If you really want a quick charge, get a dedicated charger and use it, not the one built into the converter.
I am curious why you would make that recommendation. The Intelipower converter that the original poster is considering is a multi-stage smart charger in addition to being a 12 volt power supply. It would seem to be pointless to buy a piece of equipment whose primary purpose is to charge RV batteries and then buy another battery charger. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I agree with your other recommendations. I would add: don't replace blown fuses with ones with higher ratings. Byron's point was a good one. Too many people will replace a lower amperage fuse with a higher one because it is all they have at hand. That being said, I have lived in many houses and apartments with fuse panels and none have suffered fire damage of any kind (at least while I lived there). I am sure millions of others do as well but it does happen.

I would go back to my point earlier in the thread. Modern electronic converters are a completely different creature than the converters of even a decade ago. You should size a modern converter just as you would a battery charger. Charging conditions are rarely ideal; low shore power voltage, temperature, the need to run vent fans or furnaces all lead to longer charge times than you might have calculated. Personally, I would go with a converter or charger whose output is rated at 20% of the capacity of the house batteries at least but that suits my intended use and not everyone's.

ecasey is offline   Reply With Quote